Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Invoice Pricing For Boxster Spyder and dealing below MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 04:30 AM
ilovegt
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by excelsiorz
I don't understand your logic. What does having an expectation of quality over cheap plastic have to do with choosing a dime a dozen Boxster over a Spyder? Or having leather where I want leather have to do with opting for a 718 over a Spyder? For tens of thousands more one would expect better materials in the Spyder. I guess you are okay with cheap materials? Going from Ferrari and Aston Martin to a Spyder priced out at north of $120k I expect more than cheap plastic and ***** fabric door handles....in a car weighing well over 3000 pounds with just 414 hp.

As another aside, I was in the Lexus LC500 Convertible a few weeks ago. Cost less than the Spyder and yet material quality and fit and finish were light years ahead of the Spyder. Well equipped Spyders are around $120k and at that price point Buyers are expecting better materials....which perhaps explains why the dealer I know still....month after month, has 3 Spyders and 4 Caymen.

This thread has made me realize that, were it not for the manual gearbox issue, I think hands down I'd be exploring the new Z06 Convertible with its Ferrari like 600 hp normally aspirated flat plane crank as it will be the same money as Spyder.

You kept mentioning you have had Ferrari and in the Ferrari world this and that. I don't think you really are a Ferrari guy reading your comments of arguing for better materials for paying so little to begin with. I am sure you have specced out your Ferrari before. I just got my commission number on the spyder with PDK option. I personally find the price well worth the increase. I have no problem whatsoever with the plastic front lip and the door handle. It was like that with GT3 and GT4 with the lip.

Money is all relative. A dollar is not a same dollar to everyone. But when you say when you pay over 100k, and as a Ferrari guy you expect better than a plastic front lip, I say you reminded me an infamous troll in Fchat named noone1 who was permanently banned from the forum.

Noone1 is very infamous for not having any true exotic car and kept telling people what he judged of certain car without having any time behind the wheel and then he starts arguing with everyone.

Last edited by ilovegt; 10-19-2020 at 04:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
twospyders (10-25-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 08:13 PM
excelsiorz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Given all the nonsense above, I’m convinced you’re just trolling at this point, and probably were from the start.
Think what you want. I really don't care. I put my offer in on the Spyder and I'll see where it goes.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:39 PM
excelsiorz
Advanced

Originally Posted by ilovegt
You kept mentioning you have had Ferrari and in the Ferrari world this and that. I don't think you really are a Ferrari guy reading your comments of arguing for better materials for paying so little to begin with. I am sure you have specced out your Ferrari before. I just got my commission number on the spyder with PDK option. I personally find the price well worth the increase. I have no problem whatsoever with the plastic front lip and the door handle. It was like that with GT3 and GT4 with the lip.

Money is all relative. A dollar is not a same dollar to everyone. But when you say when you pay over 100k, and as a Ferrari guy you expect better than a plastic front lip, I say you reminded me an infamous troll in Fchat named noone1 who was permanently banned from the forum.

Noone1 is very infamous for not having any true exotic car and kept telling people what he judged of certain car without having any time behind the wheel and then he starts arguing with everyone.

You can think what you want and you entitled to your opinion, regardless of how incorrect it may be. Over the years my daily drivers have included a Ferrari 330GT, 512BBi, 512TR, 550 Maranello and newer Ferraris as well as vintage Lamborghini (e.g., Islero S, Jalpa and Countach) and Maserati (e.g., Ghibli Spyder, 3500 GT).

It's unfortunate that there are those with negative opinions where such opinions add nothing to the conversation....which in this instance, was nothing more than my goal of learning the dealer invoice price for a 718 Spyder.

As for comparing cars, I guess I'm the only one drawing such comparisons as the Corvette has finally lept forward with its mid-engine design and dramatically more upscale interior: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...n-test-review/

IMO, anyone not intrigued by a 600 plus horsepower, normally aspirated, flat plane crank V8 Z06 with a price comparable to or less than a top of the line Cayman is less than a true gearhead.
The following 2 users liked this post by excelsiorz:
Jfp (10-21-2020), Patrick3000 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 08:52 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

^Holy $hit, that sounded amazing!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:05 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,812 Likes on 2,151 Posts

You can think what you want and you entitled to your opinion, regardless of how incorrect it may be. Over the years my daily drivers have included a Ferrari 330GT, 512BBi, 512TR, 550 Maranello and newer Ferraris as well as vintage Lamborghini (e.g., Islero S, Jalpa and Countach) and Maserati (e.g., Ghibli Spyder, 3500 GT).

It's unfortunate that there are those with negative opinions where such opinions add nothing to the conversation....which in this instance, was nothing more than my goal of learning the dealer invoice price for a 718 Spyder.

As for comparing cars, I guess I'm the only one drawing such comparisons as the Corvette has finally lept forward with its mid-engine design and dramatically more upscale interior: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...n-test-review/

IMO, anyone not intrigued by a 600 plus horsepower, normally aspirated, flat plane crank V8 Z06 with a price comparable to or less than a top of the line Cayman is less than a true gearhead. https://youtu.be/CMerEZYwMnQ
I don’t know what conclusions we can draw from hear Chevy’s race team motor...sounds great but imagine so does the Porsche RSR.

You probably want to do some research on Chevy’s last great NA performance motor, the LS7, and see the debris still occurring today.

OBTW, traded my C7 Z07 650 HP M7 for a Spyder. Been driving new Chevy Z06s since 2004. My Gen 1 Spyder was more engaging.

You ever own a Vette? I could have gotten 2 base C8s for my Spyder...that ought to tell you something.

Doesn’t sound like you know what you want. HP and numbness...head on over to Corvette.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:34 PM
rooster17
Pro

Received 595 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I don’t know what conclusions we can draw from hear Chevy’s race team motor...sounds great but imagine so does the Porsche RSR.

You probably want to do some research on Chevy’s last great NA performance motor, the LS7, and see the debris still occurring today.

OBTW, traded my C7 Z07 650 HP M7 for a Spyder. Been driving new Chevy Z06s since 2004. My Gen 1 Spyder was more engaging.

You ever own a Vette? I could have gotten 2 base C8s for my Spyder...that ought to tell you something.

Doesn’t sound like you know what you want. HP and numbness...head on over to Corvette.
Agree on your take. Sold two Z06s, a TLC, and a 718 to get into a Spyder. The 718 I sold hooked me on Porsche for all the reasons you listed above. And the C6 Z06 was a pain to sell because of the reputation the LS7 has.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:48 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

I was one of the LS7 issue guys. I had a 09' Z06 where the exhaust value and heads issue took out my motor with 11K miles on the clock.

I am sure they eventually fixed that issue though, since they kept using it in the Gen 5 Z/28 Camaro.

I will say in Corvette's defense though this time around with the upcoming C8 Z06 with the 5.5 flat plank crank motor, they are starting with a race proven motor from the C8R, so I am sure they will have it figured out this time around. I do not believe the LS7 was used in any race applications prior to showing up in the C6 Z06.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:57 PM
ilovegt
Instructor

IMO, anyone not intrigued by a 600 plus horsepower, normally aspirated, flat plane crank V8 Z06 with a price comparable to or less than a top of the line Cayman is less than a true gearhead. https://youtu.be/CMerEZYwMnQ
Your previous car collection confirmed my suspicion. When you are used to pay $4500 just for the apple carplay option for the newer generation of Ferrari, and if you are truly a pistol head you claim you are, you will appreciate much more what Porsche has offered us with this great gt car than whining about the plastic lip or handle of a track car, and care so much about the margin of the msrp and the invoice.

This actually has nothing to do with being a Ferrari guy or Lambo guy, this is about you being a troll and you just want to feel good about yourself by putting those down who don't have expensive exotic cars. Come on, man.
n4v4nod (10-21-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 11:43 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 401 Posts

My understanding is that Porsche dealers make 10% margins on the cars and 15% on the options if sold at MSRP.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:15 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Think what you want. I really don't care. I put my offer in on the Spyder and I'll see where it goes.
So you brag about how you've owned/own a laundry list of super expensive Italian cars, yet whether you get what is possibly the best driver's car on the planet or not is dependent upon whether you get $5k off sticker and/or whether the front splitter material is acceptable to you? That's the very definition of tard IMO.
ilovegt (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 03:04 AM
ilovegt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
So you brag about how you've owned/own a laundry list of super expensive Italian cars, yet whether you get what is possibly the best driver's car on the planet or not is dependent upon whether you get $5k off sticker and/or whether the front splitter material is acceptable to you? That's the very definition of tard IMO.
+1000. exactly my point. I think his prime time of cars collection is already gone and now simply use them as a bragging right today. A true pedrol head tend to look at the car's merit objectively by the performance number and subjectively by the emotion the car yields, regardless of the brand or price point. Each car has its own pros and cons, much like our literally endless argument of 458 vs 488 in Fchat (yes, this argument continues to go on and on) I was simply esctatic to learn that the GT3 front lip was made of plastic because it was so expensive to replace them in other cars. Same as GT4.

He will have more credence as a petrol head to compare the loss of sound and gain of performance between 981 and 718, or the the effect of electric steering on driving characteristics in lieu of hydraulic. Expecting a carbon fiber front lip in a 100k track car because of Ferrari experiences in the 80-90s is so unrealistic and then using it to put others down passively is simply obnoxious.

Currently I have a 458, FF, Lotus Evora 400 and Alfa 4c spider at home, and I feel so happy that I got a 718 spyder with pdk option coming in Jan. Thank you, Porsche, for giving me the plastic front lip and pdk together in such awesome true GT sports car!

Last edited by ilovegt; 10-21-2020 at 03:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:10 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

+1000. exactly my point. I think his prime time of cars collection is already gone and now simply use them as a bragging right today. A true pedrol head tend to look at the car's merit objectively by the performance number and subjectively by the emotion the car yields, regardless of the brand or price point. Each car has its own pros and cons, much like our literally endless argument of 458 vs 488 in Fchat (yes, this argument continues to go on and on) I was simply esctatic to learn that the GT3 front lip was made of plastic because it was so expensive to replace them in other cars. Same as GT4.

He will have more credence as a petrol head to compare the loss of sound and gain of performance between 981 and 718, or the the effect of electric steering on driving characteristics in lieu of hydraulic. Expecting a carbon fiber front lip in a 100k track car because of Ferrari experiences in the 80-90s is so unrealistic and then using it to put others down passively is simply obnoxious.

Currently I have a 458, FF, Lotus Evora 400 and Alfa 4c spider at home, and I feel so happy that I got a 718 spyder with pdk option coming in Jan. Thank you, Porsche, for giving me the plastic front lip and pdk together in such awesome true GT sports car!

That's an incredible collection-- congrats! How does the Lotus handle open roads with less than perfect surfaces (in terms of ride quality)?

Old 10-22-2020, 12:48 AM
ilovegt
Instructor

Originally Posted by bruinmd

That's an incredible collection-- congrats! How does the Lotus handle open roads with less than perfect surfaces (in terms of ride quality)?
Out of all, I think the suspension of Lotus Evora 400 is most sublime especially without any button to adjust it's setting at all. The handling is hydraulic and it is the most communicative and rewarding out of all cars I have had including the porsche GT3. I remember some margazines mentioned that other sports car marquee uses Lotus handling as benchmark. It's not just about precision, it's about how much it filters out the noise while allowing what is essentially to go through with the aid of suspension. For only 100k, it is one of the best sports car I have had, but the interior is truly something of desire. It is as if they spent at least 60k into the handling, chassis, and suspension tuning, 20k into the supertuned toyota engine and 20k into the fiberglass body. I didn't have any other Lotus before, so can't comment on how they are. Plus I reckon that Lotus body style wears the funkiest color the best, as if Porsche acid green color is just natural for it without second thought. Mine is verde ithaca, which I love!

Last edited by ilovegt; 10-22-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:00 PM
excelsiorz
Advanced

Not sure why I am bothering to respond to insults, but reality is if a person already owns a diverse array of cars, some of which (IMO) are the best in their class and among the best historically, I don't have a pressing need for a car like the Spyder so if the price is right, great. If not, that's fine too. I typically not own mass produced cars like the 458 and I have no interest in the FF (although it is a great daily driver in some regards.) For example, I would find myself in an 8C Spider rather than a 4C or a Speciale rather than a regular 458. A side benefit of such cars is while the 458 and FF drop and continue to drop in value, cars like the Speciale or 8C Spider will probably never drop in value but instead will likely appreciate over time. Again, I don't "need" a Spyder. A Z8 and 8C, etc., would suffice as would a number of other more rare vehicles. Plus the longer the Spyder sits on the showroom floor (month after month they sit there) the more proof there is these cars are not in such demand.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:10 PM
ilovegt
Instructor

Not sure why I am bothering to respond to insults, but reality is if a person already owns a diverse array of cars, some of which (IMO) are the best in their class and among the best historically, I don't have a pressing need for a car like the Spyder so if the price is right, great. If not, that's fine too. I typically not own mass produced cars like the 458 and I have no interest in the FF (although it is a great daily driver in some regards.) For example, I would find myself in an 8C Spider rather than a 4C or a Speciale rather than a regular 458. A side benefit of such cars is while the 458 and FF drop and continue to drop in value, cars like the Speciale or 8C Spider will probably never drop in value but instead will likely appreciate over time. Again, I don't "need" a Spyder. A Z8 and 8C, etc., would suffice as would a number of other more rare vehicles. Plus the longer the Spyder sits on the showroom floor (month after month they sit there) the more proof there is these cars are not in such demand.
remember to drink some water if the grapes are too sour. lol.

Quick Reply: Dealer Invoice Pricing For Boxster Spyder and dealing below MSRP