Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

First serious issue with GT4 :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 01:56 AM
CristianC
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarke
Just FYI

i was talking in one thread that GT4 begin doing strange sound during accelerating... Some kind of rattling and I thought its some loose thing, but not

Latest info after several days from dealer: it looks like metal abrasion in the cylinder (hope i have translated it correctly ). They are waiting for more info from factory now... ie what to do..

i have changed oil at dealer at 4k km, so oil was new... Everything stock.

ill keep you updated.. if somebody had same issue, please let me know

Roarke
May I ask how long would the noise last for. I thought I heard something like that 2 times so far. One time it lasted a few seconds and this last time it just about started And lasted less than 5 seconds. First time I was in 2nd gear at 1000-1500 rpm just rolling easy over some very rough part of a street. And the 2nd time I was in 1st gear same low RPMs, but as the noise started, I threw it to neutral and the. Back in gear and the sound went away and I could not replicate it again. I’m at just shy of 5000km and I broke it in as suggested. Other than that, in the last 1500-2000km it’s screamed to redline plenty times with no problems.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:31 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I did not say routine service... As for the this being major surgery, it would seem that you don't do a lot of mechanical things, dropping the engine out of these cars is certainly not that! At my local Porsche dealership they are Classic certified and rebuild/restore cars all of the time, yes and that includes pulling the engine out.
Agree with this. I​​​​​ dunno what the all the fuss is about, swapping engines would not bother me. These cars are designed to have the engines dropped relatively easily. I did a time lapse of a GT4 getting an engine swap and it's really pretty straightforward and surprisingly quick. I'd rather get a new engine dropped in than have techs attempt to repair/rebuild the thing.
The following 3 users liked this post by ajw45:
Croc999 (10-15-2020), jmartpr (10-20-2020), Westcoast (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 10:30 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tdlondon
So... not a serious issue per se, but in the 5.5 months I own the car, I needed to take it to service for a fault that is very odd, and then it happened again but I was able to mitigate it myself.

Turns out that the side scoops have scooped debris and molten rubber from tracking the car, which got stuck around the cooling fans and created resistance, triggering a dashboard fault code. First time, after 3 track days on the belt, this came up. I took it to the dealership and they charged me $500 to clean it up, as it wasn't a warranty case and caused by external factors.
Second time after other 4 tracking-days, it came up again. I was able to clean it myself. Lift the car, remove the wheels, detach the scoops and vacuum and brush the fans.

This is not my first Porsche, but it's my first GT, and my first mid engine for that matter. On my 997TT and 997.2 GTS I never had this issue or anything close.

I drive on tracks for over 10 years and never had this happen before. Of course we pick up a lot of crap from the pavement, but for such a thing to happen twice on a car that is bred for the track use, it's really odd to say at least. Did that happen to the 981s too?
Maybe this would help.. i'm thinking put this on my spyder
https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/p...intake-grilles
Old 10-15-2020, 11:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Agree with this. I​​​​​ dunno what the all the fuss is about, swapping engines would not bother me. These cars are designed to have the engines dropped relatively easily. I did a time lapse of a GT4 getting an engine swap and it's really pretty straightforward and surprisingly quick. I'd rather get a new engine dropped in than have techs attempt to repair/rebuild the thing.

Yeah, it looks simple. What could go wrong?
Old 10-16-2020, 12:01 AM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

Gotta be honest, I watched the whole thing and I really felt sorry for that poor Cayman, felt like I was watching a slow motion train wreck......
Old 10-16-2020, 09:28 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFLy0VLByNU

Yeah, it looks simple. What could go wrong?
Srsly? Your "proof" is a rando youtube video? A professional Porsche shop will have a GT4 engine dropped in a couple hours. Believe what you like but fear mongering about the complexity of somethng you've only seen on youtube seems like a disservice to others.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Srsly? Your "proof" is a rando youtube video? A professional Porsche shop will have a GT4 engine dropped in a couple hours. Believe what you like but fear mongering about the complexity of somethng you've only seen on youtube seems like a disservice to others.
Riggght. The Porsche standard shop time to perform a sport exhaust swap is four to eight hours, but they can swap an entire mid-engine motor in a couple hours...

There are plenty of engine swap videos out there. None are a couple of hours. And speed is not the issue. Getting it factory perfect is the issue.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:11 AM
Roarke
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Story continue :

received letter from dealers lawyer that i cannot return car, because its my fault that engine broke.. they said that I overused car and they think that I was on the track according tires condition

i never over rev or even never hit redline with this car

Old 10-20-2020, 08:29 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Story continue :

received letter from dealers lawyer that i cannot return car, because its my fault that engine broke.. they said that I overused car and they think that I was on the track according tires condition

Whoa, that's not good news.

So they are saying a Porsche GT4 shouldn’t be used on a track? You drove too hard and broke it?

Doesn't Porsche test their cars on the Nurburgring?

That is pure malarkey IMO.

Will warranty cover it?

I think it would be beneficial for this discussion going forward it you let us know your location.

Otherwise, we might be arguing things that potentially don’t apply to a lot of us.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:36 AM
Roarke
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dyim
Whoa, that's not good news.

So they are saying a Porsche GT4 shouldn’t be used on a track? You drove too hard and broke it?

Doesn't Porsche test their cars on the Nurburgring?

That is pure malarkey IMO.

Will warranty cover it?

I think it would be beneficial for this discussion going forward it you let us know your location.

Otherwise, we might be arguing things that potentially don’t apply to a lot of us.

its europe, Czech Republic..
Old 10-20-2020, 09:27 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Story continue :

That’s complete BS. Do they say that you did this to the first engine, the second one, or both? Lol...

First, track use is NOT prohibited on a Porsche, much less a GT. Second, easy to see over revs and hours (avg speed) from a DME readout which should prove no track use.

its europe, Czech Republic..
I know what works best there and in similar countries. Do you have a cousin or two that work as night club bouncers? Take them with you on your next visit to the dealer to help you negotiate.

Unbelievable.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 09:48 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Story continue :

While I'm don't know the laws on your country that sounds like trying to intimidate you......you should ask that "lawyer" for the proof of what he is implying.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:02 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

This is really stupid - how they can prove looking at the tires that engine was "overused"?
They need to prove it, not you.
Keep this letter really good because this might help you.
Anyway - i don't what "overused" means but overreving is recorded in the ECU - they need to present it to you.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:15 AM
Roarke
Advanced

Originally Posted by Croc999
This is really stupid - how they can prove looking at the tires that engine was "overused"?
They need to prove it, not you.
Keep this letter really good because this might help you.
Anyway - i don't what "overused" means but overreving is recorded in the ECU - they need to present it to you.
yeah they trying to scary me.. i 110% sure that i have no overdrive car at any matter.. Lawyer will contact them again and we are going to the court if needed.. its almost winter, I have time

just to clear it, i didnt get car with second engine, it even didnt pass their test so they have ordered third..
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 12:09 PM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

One thing that i've learned from one of my friends - every time that store/dealer/insurance/police claim/blame some ridiculous thing, the response is "how can you prove it?"
The following 2 users liked this post by Croc999:
Mike Murphy (10-21-2020), Roarke (10-20-2020)

Quick Reply: First serious issue with GT4 :(