Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

First serious issue with GT4 :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 07:10 AM
Roarke
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts
Default First serious issue with GT4 :(

Just FYI

i was talking in one thread that GT4 begin doing strange sound during accelerating... Some kind of rattling and I thought its some loose thing, but not

Latest info after several days from dealer: it looks like metal abrasion in the cylinder (hope i have translated it correctly ). They are waiting for more info from factory now... ie what to do..

i have changed oil at dealer at 4k km, so oil was new... Everything stock.

ill keep you updated.. if somebody had same issue, please let me know

Roarke
Old 09-09-2020, 07:35 AM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

That suxs big time . With all man made things, there's a certain failure rate. Just a fact of life. How did you break it in? Any track duty? Did you get it new or with mileage already on it?

TIA,

P.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:45 AM
Roarke
Advanced

Originally Posted by Puggz
That suxs big time . With all man made things, there's a certain failure rate. Just a fact of life. How did you break it in? Any track duty? Did you get it new or with mileage already on it?

TIA,

P.
yeah I know.. currently 5.5k km.. properly break in, slowly pushing since 3.5k.. no over rev, one track day

dont know what ill get still

Old 09-09-2020, 09:19 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

Do you turn off auto start stop every time you drive? I bet cylinder deactivation is not good for these high performing engines.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:24 AM
Roarke
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Do you turn off auto start stop every time you drive? I bet cylinder deactivation is not good for these high performing engines.
im not turning it off often.. i dont think that i did something crazy with the car
Old 09-09-2020, 10:27 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,697 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarke
yeah I know.. currently 5.5k km.. properly break in, slowly pushing since 3.5k.. no over rev, one track day

dont know what ill get still
Sorry about your engine woes, but it should be completely covered under warranty... keep us posted!

My bet is as this is such a new engine the factory will want it back untouched by the dealer so they can see first hand what's up, to do this they will send a new engine in a crate to make this happen. You will have to go through break in again, but if they do this you will have a brand new engine.
The following users liked this post:
Roarke (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 11:21 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarke
Latest info after several days from dealer: it looks like metal abrasion in the cylinder (hope i have translated it correctly ). They are waiting for more info from factory now... ie what to do
Is this what’s usually been called “bore scoring”, ie. the leading cause of engine death on 987.1 “S” models and 997.1? I had read engines with higher bore and stroke are at greater risk of this.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:27 AM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Sorry about your engine woes, but it should be completely covered under warranty... keep us posted!

My bet is as this is such a new engine the factory will want it back untouched by the dealer so they can see first hand what's up, to do this they will send a new engine in a crate to make this happen. You will have to go through break in again, but if they do this you will have a brand new engine.
Porsche North Houston had a Spyder with similar issues. Porsche sent parts, not a crate engine to repair, and a long wait for parts. I was interested in the car until I found out the nature of the issue.

Hopefully this issue gets remedied ASAP by Porsche!
Old 09-09-2020, 11:50 AM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPE911
Porsche North Houston had a Spyder with similar issues. Porsche sent parts, not a crate engine to repair, and a long wait for parts. I was interested in the car until I found out the nature of the issue.

Hopefully this issue gets remedied ASAP by Porsche!
Same issue was identified on the first GT4 that arrived at my local dealership. Unfortunate as the owner had to wait for the parts to arrive, was still sitting at the dealership when I picked mine up over a month after his arrived.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

What parts? Theyre rebuilding the engine at the dealer? Jeez that would suck. It prob goes on your title that it had engine issues too. I would lemon the car at that point
Old 09-09-2020, 12:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
What parts? Theyre rebuilding the engine at the dealer? Jeez that would suck. It prob goes on your title that it had engine issues too. I would lemon the car at that point
Goes on your title? huh?

I highly doubt the dealer is resleeving a scored cylinder. Maybe other less intrusive repairs, but a scored cylinder requires some machine work, which I can't see porsche farming out under warranty. Much easier and cheaper to just send a crate motor.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:11 PM
wcw67
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm working from a vague memory here, but from I recall the first 9 cars off the line had head assembly issues from something that was improperly set up. This can be verified by your VIN.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:13 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Goes on your title? huh?

I highly doubt the dealer is resleeving a scored cylinder. Maybe other less intrusive repairs, but a scored cylinder requires some machine work, which I can't see porsche farming out under warranty. Much easier and cheaper to just send a crate motor.
They might be sending a short block, and the dealer might reuse the old heads.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:51 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

I would push for a new car. Most states have implied warranties of merchantability that should control when an engine fails so early.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpyderSenseOC:
CaymanMatt (09-09-2020), Rennolazine (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 12:54 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I would push for a new car. Most states have implied warranties of merchantability that should control when an engine fails so early.
Agree. This can affect resell-ability of the car. Question is will they give you another allocation? Doubtful.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanMatt (09-09-2020)

Quick Reply: First serious issue with GT4 :(