Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

First serious issue with GT4 :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020 | 10:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
In what routine service do they actually pull the engine from this car?

Replacing an engine is major surgery on this car, with a lot of disassembly, reassembly, connections of fluids electronics, etc. It's not a simple 'drop the motor' and swap and go, and the likelihood that a tech who does one or two engine swaps a year (possibly/likely never before on a Cayman) will do near as perfect a job as the factory that assembles the car using an incredibly consistent methodology and huge QC process is almost nil.
I did not say routine service... As for the this being major surgery, it would seem that you don't do a lot of mechanical things, dropping the engine out of these cars is certainly not that! At my local Porsche dealership they are Classic certified and rebuild/restore cars all of the time, yes and that includes pulling the engine out.

Originally Posted by bk_911
I agree with this. But I would add it seriously depends on the quality of the technician. Some technicians are great - will install it flawlessly. Others will be a rush job without attention to detail.
Without a doubt a good tech/mechanic is worth their weight in gold, in fact the guy that does most of the work on my car is Porsche Gold Certified...
The following users liked this post:
ajw45 (10-15-2020)
Old 10-12-2020 | 11:15 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

So... not a serious issue per se, but in the 5.5 months I own the car, I needed to take it to service for a fault that is very odd, and then it happened again but I was able to mitigate it myself.

Turns out that the side scoops have scooped debris and molten rubber from tracking the car, which got stuck around the cooling fans and created resistance, triggering a dashboard fault code. First time, after 3 track days on the belt, this came up. I took it to the dealership and they charged me $500 to clean it up, as it wasn't a warranty case and caused by external factors.
Second time after other 4 tracking-days, it came up again. I was able to clean it myself. Lift the car, remove the wheels, detach the scoops and vacuum and brush the fans.

This is not my first Porsche, but it's my first GT, and my first mid engine for that matter. On my 997TT and 997.2 GTS I never had this issue or anything close.

I drive on tracks for over 10 years and never had this happen before. Of course we pick up a lot of crap from the pavement, but for such a thing to happen twice on a car that is bred for the track use, it's really odd to say at least. Did that happen to the 981s too?

Last edited by tdlondon; 10-12-2020 at 11:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tdlondon:
Croc999 (10-14-2020), fueledbymetal (10-14-2020)
Old 10-12-2020 | 11:48 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdlondon
So... not a serious issue per se, but in the 5.5 months I own the car, I needed to take it to service for a fault that is very odd, and then it happened again but I was able to mitigate it myself.

Turns out that the side scoops have scooped debris and molten rubber from tracking the car, which got stuck around the cooling fans and created resistance, triggering a dashboard fault code. First time, after 3 track days on the belt, this came up. I took it to the dealership and they charged me $500 to clean it up, as it wasn't a warranty case and caused by external factors.
Second time after other 4 tracking-days, it came up again. I was able to clean it myself. Lift the car, remove the wheels, detach the scoops and vacuum and brush the fans.

This is not my first Porsche, but it's my first GT, and my first mid engine for that matter. On my 997TT and 997.2 GTS I never had this issue or anything close.

I drive on tracks for over 10 years and never had this happen before. Of course we pick up a lot of crap from the pavement, but for such a thing to happen twice on a car that is bred for the track use, it's really odd to say at least. Did that happen to the 981s too?
I haven’t ever had to have either of my 981s cleaned out. Maybe they opened the scoops up more to get more air?
fueledbymetal (10-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020 | 12:23 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I did not say routine service... As for the this being major surgery, it would seem that you don't do a lot of mechanical things, dropping the engine out of these cars is certainly not that! At my local Porsche dealership they are Classic certified and rebuild/restore cars all of the time, yes and that includes pulling the engine out. ...
Okay, tell me any service that requires the engine to be pulled? And how many engines have you pulled Mr. Wizard? I didn’t say it wasn’t possible; I said it’s not simple and it’s not likely to be factory perfect.

BTW, I’ve watched two major surgeries on my Porsches, and it’s a major freaking job to take these cars apart. And both times the tech at a very well respected dealer known to most on here screwed something up on the reassembly, once costing me money and a big headache.

Last edited by Archimedes; 10-13-2020 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-13-2020 | 01:28 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

3 engines in less than 6 months, I’m kinda surprised Porsche didn’t just lemon the car themselves. You’d both be happier than continuing to descend further into this warranty abyss
Old 10-13-2020 | 09:51 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdlondon

I have found all kind of stuff inside the intake prior to the air filters....on the 981 I installed the ZoomSport grills and that helped a lot specially when going to the track. Not sure if the 981s would fit the 718 but this is a must mod for the track.
I also clean my BMC flters every 3K miles and vacuum all the crap that gets in there.....
tdlondon (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020 | 09:55 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I have found all kind of stuff inside the intake prior to the air filters....on the 981 I installed the ZoomSport grills and that helped a lot specially when going to the track. Not sure if the 981s would fit the 718 but this is a must mod for the track.
I also clean my BMC flters every 3K miles and vacuum all the crap that gets in there.....
Those gt4 scoops do look perfect for scooping up track junk.
Old 10-13-2020 | 10:02 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Those gt4 scoops do look perfect for scooping up track junk.
They do an excellent job of cleaning the track!!!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by jmartpr:
JAhmed (10-13-2020), patdonahue (10-13-2020), tdlondon (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020 | 11:29 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Okay, tell me any service that requires the engine to be pulled? And how many engines have you pulled Mr. Wizard? I didn’t say it wasn’t possible; I said it’s not simple and it’s not likely to be factory perfect.

BTW, I’ve watched two major surgeries on my Porsches, and it’s a major freaking job to take these cars apart. And both times the tech at a very well respected dealer known to most on here screwed something up on the reassembly, once costing me money and a big headache.
One such service that requires an engine removal is... this one, where a defect in a new engine needs to be inspected by the factory to determine root cause! If you had service work done incorrectly and remedial action was required I am surprised that you paid for their screw up, that's not like you!

And before I dazzle you with the number of engine replacements I have done its your turn first, in the past few years have you done any 'real' maintenance on your own cars other than writing the cheque?
Old 10-13-2020 | 11:35 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

One such service that requires an engine removal is... this one, where a defect in a new engine needs to be inspected by the factory to determine root cause! If you had service work done incorrectly and remedial action was required I am surprised that you paid for their screw up, that's not like you!

And before I dazzle you with the number of engine replacements I have done its your turn first, in the past few years have you done any 'real' maintenance on your own cars other than writing the cheque?
wow everyone needs to calm down, its starting to look like the presidential debate in here
The following 2 users liked this post by JAhmed:
Mike Murphy (10-13-2020), Roarke (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020 | 11:40 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

So you’re actually not aware of any service that requires an engine out other than removing a faulty engine?

And while i did help my Dad basically rebuild a Saab 99 as a kid, as regards maintenance, when I became an adult I realized that I could make a lot more money doing what I’m trained for and paying people to do things their trained for. Thanks for proving you’re a douche though.
JAhmed (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020 | 12:19 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So you’re actually not aware of any service that requires an engine out other than removing a faulty engine?

And while i did help my Dad basically rebuild a Saab 99 as a kid, as regards maintenance, when I became an adult I realized that I could make a lot more money doing what I’m trained for and paying people to do things their trained for. Thanks for proving you’re a douche though.
Interesting when I was only clarifying that your comments on maintenance are a bit off base, good that you know your limitations and leave the mechanical work to those that are trained in that area.

As for engine out for a service item, a Macan engine and entire front drive assembly for timing cover oil leak... Oh and as for my R&R engine count, I stopped counting after the first dozen, across multiple brands including German.

Now that this heading toward personal comments, for me this subject is now closed.

Last edited by Westcoast; 10-13-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2020 | 03:53 AM
Croc999
Racer

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I have found all kind of stuff inside the intake prior to the air filters....on the 981 I installed the ZoomSport grills and that helped a lot specially when going to the track.
Not sure if the 981s would fit the 718 but this is a must mod for the track.
I assume you're talking about Zunsport - which one did you use?
These?
https://www.zunsport.com/us/porsche-...set?filter=191
Old 10-14-2020 | 09:52 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Croc999
I assume you're talking about Zunsport - which one did you use?
These?
https://www.zunsport.com/us/porsche-...set?filter=191

Yes....I used the ones for the 981 on my 981 GT4, I'm not sure if they would fit the new GT4 as I have seen from other manufacturers a different one for the 718 models....those could probably fit the 718 GT4.
Croc999 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020 | 10:58 AM
Croc999
Racer

very disappointed to hear about engine problems - since it's based on 991.2's engine i thought it will be trouble free.
I was thinking to do some light modes even though they void warranty - those cases make me thing 10 times more about this
Of course for every owner that this happens it's hugely frustrating and upsetting - but for the whole picture we need to understand a full statistics of failed engine .

Quick Reply: First serious issue with GT4 :(