Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

First serious issue with GT4 :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 04:22 AM
Roarke
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
@Roarke - when was your car built? The tooling damaging the cylinder wall during assembly sounds plausible to me.
during factory shutdown ... it was on fsctory line, recieved early june
Old 09-12-2020, 07:45 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,249 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPE911
This is the identical information I was given on a Spyder for sale I was interested in, with a "stop sale" on the vehicle.
Car in question, has a March 10, 2020 production date for reference.
Very interesting.

Have a good friend that works at my dealership and while I was looking at the spyder in their showroom he advised me to wait a while if I was serious.

When I asked him why all he said was "early build issues".

I will ask him about this...
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (09-13-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,697 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarke
during factory shutdown ... it was on fsctory line, recieved early june
As we have determined the GT4's could built in either factory, where was yours built?

Originally Posted by Raghu
I was talking about this very same issue with my SA today. He said that the problem was with certain VIN numbers. 718 Spyder's (certain VIN numbers) had the same problem. The problem seems to be with an assembly tool that was used to put together a certain cylinder that scored the wall. They caught a Spyder before being sold and did a no-sale on it.
Originally Posted by Illusive991
Same issue was identified on the first GT4 that arrived at my local dealership. Unfortunate as the owner had to wait for the parts to arrive, was still sitting at the dealership when I picked mine up over a month after his arrived.
It looks like this is not related to the 'model' of the car; GT4/Spyder, this may likely be an engine assembly issue. Besides I thought that these engines were all built in one place then distributed to the assembly lines for each car?

So we would need to know the engine build dates in question and determine how to check our own engines.

Last edited by Westcoast; 09-12-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:49 AM
Roarke
Advanced

Originally Posted by Westcoast
As we have determined the GT4's could built in either factory, where was yours built?

It looks like this is not related to the 'model' of the car; GT4/Spyder, this may likely be an engine assembly issue. Besides I thought that these engines were all built in one place then distributed to the assembly lines for each car?

So we would need to know the engine build dates in question and determine how to check our own engines.
in the vin is K, so Osnabrück
Old 09-12-2020, 10:54 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

in the vin is K, so Osnabrück
So it doesn't seem specific to either the model or the factory then...hmmmm.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:36 AM
aurieg92
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

does any of the paperwork show the motor build date? the door sticker just says the month. I swear there was some other paper with the car build date but perhaps the SA's web tool has the motor build date somewhere?

to be clear the sound is not periodic? it's more like a scratch or something under throttle? have noticed that when the AC is on, sometimes the motor will garble (especially in 3-cylinder mode) but pretty sure that's the AC ...
Old 09-13-2020, 11:13 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aurieg92
does any of the paperwork show the motor build date? the door sticker just says the month. I swear there was some other paper with the car build date but perhaps the SA's web tool has the motor build date somewhere?

to be clear the sound is not periodic? it's more like a scratch or something under throttle? have noticed that when the AC is on, sometimes the motor will garble (especially in 3-cylinder mode) but pretty sure that's the AC ...
I haven't seen this anywhere in my papers, I plan to ask my service manager/advisor if they can determine the build date/serial number of the engine, the SA would not be my go-to guy for this type of information.

I am confident Porsche has this information recorded and available, if it is truly caused during engine assembly then they will also know the range of dates for these engines and what cars they were installed into, whether Porsche feels inclined to share such information is another matter!
Old 09-13-2020, 07:32 PM
Laptime
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
From someone in the business:
"It’s a thermally plasma sprayed layer. Ceramic/ceramic metal matrix composite powders are fed through a plasma flame and high velocity shot at the surface utilising the thrust of the flame. If you imagine a mini jet engine in reverse, the flame is usually a mixture of propane and hydrogen so it burns very hot and fast (1000’s of degrees and >1000ms-1). The molten droplets produced passing through the flame impinge the surface and fuse in, the coating is then honed to size. Its hard and when it spalls, tends to cause mayhem not just in the cylinder but with the engine in its entirety if it’s not caught early and hard abrasive particles are dispersed through the oilways. It is impossible to machine it off and rebuild the coating and even if slightly damaged does not have enough depth to hone and use oversized pistons. It can be machined off completely and repaired in a different way though.

So the options are – new engine, recon engine or cylinder conversion in order of decreasing cost."

I hope it's something other than plasma failure.
In the aircraft world, cylinder condition is frequently assessed by a borescope examination which enables a mechanic to visualize the inside of a cylinder via the spark plug opening in the head. I don't recall ever hearing about this being done for automobile engines. Does anyone know if it is and whether that tool would be helpful in determining whether this problem is cylinder wall related?
wdr911 (12-09-2023)
Old 09-14-2020, 09:14 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Laptime
In the aircraft world, cylinder condition is frequently assessed by a borescope examination which enables a mechanic to visualize the inside of a cylinder via the spark plug opening in the head. I don't recall ever hearing about this being done for automobile engines. Does anyone know if it is and whether that tool would be helpful in determining whether this problem is cylinder wall related?
We talk about this all the time in the 996 forum. Jake Raby has some videos on it.
wdr911 (12-09-2023)
Old 09-16-2020, 04:05 AM
Roarke
Advanced

Update - new engine approved by Porsche.. waiting for delivery (next Friday)

i have asked if there will be some info what’s happened, but they said that Porsche dont communicate back to dealer..
The following 9 users liked this post by Roarke:
2020Spyder (09-16-2020), Croc999 (10-14-2020), JAhmed (09-16-2020), jto24 (10-21-2020), k3|th (09-16-2020), Motoss (09-16-2020), mranderson (09-16-2020), patdonahue (09-16-2020), sobiloff (09-16-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:06 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

i have asked if there will be some info what’s happened, but they said that Porsche dont communicate back to dealer..
That’s the only solution that makes sense. I’m very glad to hear that, and I hope they do it quickly. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:43 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Very interesting.

Have a good friend that works at my dealership and while I was looking at the spyder in their showroom he advised me to wait a while if I was serious.

When I asked him why all he said was "early build issues".

I will ask him about this...

Hmmm, the mystery begins. If it is truly a manufacturing and not a one off issue, we should see more popping up. Hopefully, Porsche will do the right thing and issue a recall. At least, it is not catching fire like the GT3.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:20 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Although this is not really a reason to say congrats... but this is the next step that I would be hoping for!

Looking forward to hearing that you are back on the 'break-in' trail...
Roarke (09-16-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 12:55 PM
Roarke
Advanced

Just short update:

they have switched engine last week and new engine is not working well also. Now, some bad data about lack of power.. I even didn’t receive car, because it didnt went through tests and they are ordering next engine..

I just loose faith to this car and patience

Its already more than 40 days and looks like it will take another weeks. So I have decided to cancel contract according to our law..In my country, if they dont fixit in the 30 days, its unrepairable and I can return it..

hope they will return money back and give me new allocation for next year

have fun guys, Im going back to sim racing
Roarke
The following 2 users liked this post by Roarke:
Croc999 (10-14-2020), DFW01TT (10-21-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 01:05 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just short update:

they have switched engine last week and new engine is not working well also. Now, some bad data about lack of power.. I even didn’t receive car, because it didnt went through tests and they are ordering next engine..

I just loose faith to this car and patience

Its already more than 40 days and looks like it will take another weeks. So I have decided to cancel contract according to our law..In my country, if they dont fixit in the 30 days, its unrepairable and I can return it..

hope they will return money back and give me new allocation for next year

have fun guys, Im going back to sim racing
Roarke
Wow, not what I was expecting to hear, heading into a 3rd engine engine is a bit ominous this early into ownership. I am not sure what I would have done, turning the car in is a big step, but somewhat understandable in this case. I am not sure what the law on this here would be.

Best of luck, I hope that it turns out for you and you get an allocation for 2021!

Quick Reply: First serious issue with GT4 :(