Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

First serious issue with GT4 :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020 | 12:55 PM
ragerard
Rennlist Member

Picked up my new GT4 yin Leipzig esterday. Drove it about 1000km, all under 4K as instructed at the factory.Heard some clattering which I assumed is valve noise. Is that the kind of sound you heard?
Old 09-09-2020 | 01:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by wizee
They might be sending a short block, and the dealer might reuse the old heads.
That could be I spose, but at that point, instead of pulling a shortblock off the line, just send a complete motor. seems odd.

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I would push for a new car. Most states have implied warranties of merchantability that should control when an engine fails so early.
The engine is just a sub assembly. would you push for a new car if the tranny failed? how about a suspension assembly? fuel system?

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Agree. This can affect resell-ability of the car. Question is will they give you another allocation? Doubtful.
why would it affect resellability. Lots of cars have engines replaced, its not a big deal, especially with the mid engined platform. Engine/trans goes on a table, few bolts and hoses later and its on the ground. nbd.
Old 09-09-2020 | 02:56 PM
Roarke
Advanced

Originally Posted by ragerard
Picked up my new GT4 yin Leipzig esterday. Drove it about 1000km, all under 4K as instructed at the factory.Heard some clattering which I assumed is valve noise. Is that the kind of sound you heard?
i dunno, i first think that its metal sound, than it sound like somethibg touching body from inside.. it was some non periodic sound( like dirt from rear wheel) .. i was really confused and im still surprised that its engine..

im from Europe so I have to check my rights, if i could ask for new car.. and waiting another three months for deliver it sounds crazy.. Also we have Porsche days this weekend and i already paid for another track days.. damn

Old 09-09-2020 | 02:58 PM
Roarke
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
That could be I spose, but at that point, instead of pulling a shortblock off the line, just send a complete motor. seems odd.

The engine is just a sub assembly. would you push for a new car if the tranny failed? how about a suspension assembly? fuel system?

why would it affect resellability. Lots of cars have engines replaced, its not a big deal, especially with the mid engined platform. Engine/trans goes on a table, few bolts and hoses later and its on the ground. nbd.
i would be ok with new engine.. Im not planning to sell it, want to keep it as long as possible
Old 09-09-2020 | 03:05 PM
Roarke
Advanced

The thing is that i dont undestand it why its only in acceleration..

it begin slowly, like pushing fast to high rpm and rattling at 6k rpm plus.. but slowly develop to rattle with slow pushing... when I accelerate very slowly, it was still quite

also what is interesting.. when idle (ie not moving) and pushed to 5k rpm it was quite

so its very confusing, car have to accelerate to make this sound

Old 09-09-2020 | 03:06 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Having a deja vu, a new Porsche engine and...
Old 09-09-2020 | 03:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by ragerard
I have that same noise in the cabin as well, which I assume is either valve or throttle body noise. I believe that is normal, as others have commented on it previously.
Old 09-09-2020 | 03:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
What parts? Theyre rebuilding the engine at the dealer? Jeez that would suck. It prob goes on your title that it had engine issues too. I would lemon the car at that point
Doing this type of repair would not have any impact on the car's title.
Old 09-09-2020 | 03:43 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

No but its on the carfax at least
Old 09-09-2020 | 04:28 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Goes on your title? huh?

I highly doubt the dealer is resleeving a scored cylinder. Maybe other less intrusive repairs, but a scored cylinder requires some machine work, which I can't see porsche farming out under warranty. Much easier and cheaper to just send a crate motor.
I'm under the impression that the cylinders are plasma coated, I have to agree on a new engine.
Old 09-10-2020 | 06:20 AM
Gorro47
Intermediate

Hi all
This is why i sometime pass this threads, im close to picking my gt4 up, now will stay alert for this kind of noise, my OCD will kill me some day
Keep us posted with any news on this matter.

Thanks for sharing
Old 09-10-2020 | 08:34 AM
Puggz
Pro

Yes this will show up on carfax if the dealer reports it. As others mentioned, get acquainted with your local lemon laws and enforce them opposite your dealer. If you have any issues, have a lawyer write the dealer principal a letter, a couple of hundred $ well spent if you think you're not treated fairly or legally. Then you can go back to the dealer and get them to pay the lawyer's fee once they conform to the law.
Old 09-10-2020 | 11:52 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

OP, sorry for this mess, you anticipate the joys and instead this happens.

I would have me furious.

Had I not bought my '19 C4S a while ago, I would have probably gone for a GT4. But this is the stuff that haunts, a new engine design that needs sorting.

Guess in retrospect, my end of production 991.2 may have been a good bet.

Hope it gets worked out to your satisfaction.

BTW, demand an extension to your warranty, Porsche has had to this before.
Old 09-10-2020 | 12:47 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

That's a great idea, ask & demand a 6 year CPO on the car.
Peace of mind long-term and helps with a private party re-sale down the road.
Old 09-10-2020 | 03:02 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

From someone in the business:
"It’s a thermally plasma sprayed layer. Ceramic/ceramic metal matrix composite powders are fed through a plasma flame and high velocity shot at the surface utilising the thrust of the flame. If you imagine a mini jet engine in reverse, the flame is usually a mixture of propane and hydrogen so it burns very hot and fast (1000’s of degrees and >1000ms-1). The molten droplets produced passing through the flame impinge the surface and fuse in, the coating is then honed to size. Its hard and when it spalls, tends to cause mayhem not just in the cylinder but with the engine in its entirety if it’s not caught early and hard abrasive particles are dispersed through the oilways. It is impossible to machine it off and rebuild the coating and even if slightly damaged does not have enough depth to hone and use oversized pistons. It can be machined off completely and repaired in a different way though.

So the options are – new engine, recon engine or cylinder conversion in order of decreasing cost."

I hope it's something other than plasma failure.

Quick Reply: First serious issue with GT4 :(