Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

First serious issue with GT4 :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 01:10 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarke
Just short update:

they have switched engine last week and new engine is not working well also. Now, some bad data about lack of power.. I even didn’t receive car, because it didnt went through tests and they are ordering next engine..

I just loose faith to this car and patience

Its already more than 40 days and looks like it will take another weeks. So I have decided to cancel contract according to our law..In my country, if they dont fixit in the 30 days, its unrepairable and I can return it..

hope they will return money back and give me new allocation for next year

have fun guys, Im going back to sim racing
Roarke
Post the Vin so everyone can avoid that car down the road.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Not sure if that's wise or even relevant, with a factory new engine the original problem has been eliminated.
Mike Murphy (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 01:23 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Not sure if that's wise or even relevant, with a factory new engine the original problem has been eliminated.
Well, it doesn’t sound like it has been rectified yet. And secondly, if a low mileage Porsche that I’m thinking about buying is already on its third engine, working correctly or not, I definitely want to know about it. I think most feel the same way
The Pinkoboe (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 01:32 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well, it doesn’t sound like it has been rectified yet. And secondly, if a low mileage Porsche that I’m thinking about buying is already on its third engine, working correctly or not, I definitely want to know about it. I think most feel the same way
I would expect that the engine swap will be a permanent part of this cars history now, and should be disclosed to any subsequent buyer.

As for the engine, the first one is gone, the second didn't pass install so gone as well, assuming the 3rd is good it is like a new car with regards to the engine, factory fresh.

Engine replacements like this have nothing to do with mileage, they were defective and were replaced, this not like an automobile accident where the car was damaged and repaired.
Roarke (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 02:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I would expect that the engine swap will be a permanent part of this cars history now, and should be disclosed to any subsequent buyer.

As for the engine, the first one is gone, the second didn't pass install so gone as well, assuming the 3rd is good it is like a new car with regards to the engine, factory fresh.

Engine replacements like this have nothing to do with mileage, they were defective and were replaced, this not like an automobile accident where the car was damaged and repaired.
Not even close. A car that has had an engine swap at the dealer is not the same as a factory new installation. Not a deal killer by any stretch, but an engine swap is still a ding on value and some buyers will simply avoid the car entirely.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:30 PM
Roarke
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah i agree.. i would definitely keep it if they hit deadline. Their lack of will is what triggered me.

One week to wait for some tools for preparation works
More than one week to approved new engine
Almost two weeks till engine arrived
One week for swap
Another two days to communicate with Porsche about data...

Im in the Europe and factory is less than 10 hours away.. don’t understand these delays

Old 10-12-2020, 02:35 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not even close. A car that has had an engine swap at the dealer is not the same as a factory new installation. Not a deal killer by any stretch, but an engine swap is still a ding on value and some buyers will simply avoid the car entirely.
I disagree, the engine is simply installed by the tech at the dealership, they are not rebuilding it only installing it, there are a number of services where these engines are removed from the cars to do certain services.

Remember I said: "it is like a new car with regards to the engine, factory fresh." And I said it should be noted in the service history.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

yeah i agree.. i would definitely keep it if they hit deadline. Their lack of will is what triggered me.

One week for swap

Im in the Europe and factory is less than 10 hours away.. don’t understand these delays
This certainly seems long, I may have expected delays if the car was not in Europe, but considering how close you are this should have happened much quicker!

I trust they gave you a different Porsche to drive while this is going on?

Last edited by Westcoast; 10-12-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:46 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

One week for swap

I would have done the same. That car seems to have some bad juju, whatever it is, so just cut your loses and start anew.

CaymanMatt (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 02:59 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Absolutely the right thing to do.

In the US, it’s the California lemon law to be able to return the car in 30 or so days. And then the car could have serious marks via CarFax that significantly reduces the value of the vehicle. And it can show up at any time, even well after the actual event.

Case in point, I bought a 2006 BMW M5 that was a lemon law car. It sold for several thousand dollars less than market value. Several years later, Carfax updated to show the vehicle was stolen. I sold it for several thousand less than market because of this. Had the VIN been posted somewhere, I would have found it.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:05 PM
Roarke
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

This certainly seems long, I may have expected delays if the car was not in Europe, but considering how close you are this should have happened much quicker!

I trust they gave you a different Porsche to drive while this is going on?
rofl.. got Skoda Rapid in Python Green.. check pictures above
Old 10-12-2020, 03:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

rofl.. got Skoda Rapid in Python Green.. check pictures above
Shame on them!
Old 10-12-2020, 03:19 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

Perhaps if a car is being sold shortly after the engine was swapped, a potential buyer would be concerned. But if the engine is swapped and the car runs and performs without issue for a couple of year, it would be completely irrational for anyone to be concerned. The only rationale that I can think of is if someone plans on keeping it for 40 years hoping that it will become a classic and is perhaps concerned that the "numbers won't match." But that's pretty far fetched.

However, due to the car being repurchased by Porsche, I'd expect the car to be forever tagged as "reconstructed" or something depending on country, so it seems that this will be a moot point. I'm glad to hear that the owner will not be losing any money on this very unfortunate situation.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I disagree, the engine is simply installed by the tech at the dealership, they are not rebuilding it only installing it, there are a number of services where these engines are removed from the cars to do certain services.

Remember I said: "it is like a new car with regards to the engine, factory fresh." And I said it should be noted in the service history.
In what routine service do they actually pull the engine from this car?

Replacing an engine is major surgery on this car, with a lot of disassembly, reassembly, connections of fluids electronics, etc. It's not a simple 'drop the motor' and swap and go, and the likelihood that a tech who does one or two engine swaps a year (possibly/likely never before on a Cayman) will do near as perfect a job as the factory that assembles the car using an incredibly consistent methodology and huge QC process is almost nil.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:26 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Replacing an engine is major surgery on this car, with a lot of disassembly, reassembly, connections of fluids electronics, etc. It's not a simple 'drop the motor' and swap and go, and the likelihood that a tech who does one or two engine swaps a year (possibly/likely never before on a Cayman) will do near as perfect a job as the factory
I agree with this. But I would add it seriously depends on the quality of the technician. Some technicians are great - will install it flawlessly. Others will be a rush job without attention to detail.

Quick Reply: First serious issue with GT4 :(