Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dundon "Making the 718 GT4 Faster"

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 07:01 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by bantam1
Thanks for responding, looking forward to hearing the result! None of the exhausts that I have heard for the GT4/GTS have sounded particularly inspiring, so hopefully you guys can change that!

Curious if the longer Over Axle pipes from the RS would affect performance for the GT4
The Dundon through axles pipes on the 4RS are shorter, much shorter...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 05-10-2024, 07:10 PM
bantam1
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
The Dundon through axles pipes on the 4RS are shorter, much shorter...
Well then I guess the opposite curiosity applies then, I wonder if the shorter length will have an impact.

I had assumed when reading about your development of the 4RS wavy pipes that the resultant length was longer than the GT4.

Either way, good stuff, I am sure whatever you all come up with will be done well
Old 05-10-2024, 11:08 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by bantam1
Thanks for responding, looking forward to hearing the result! None of the exhausts that I have heard for the GT4/GTS have sounded particularly inspiring, so hopefully you guys can change that!

Curious if the longer Over Axle pipes from the RS would affect performance for the GT4
The sounds coming out of the stock muffler with Dundon headers and OAPs are already fantastic (especially with their pro-tune), but I suspect I'll be in for a very pleasant surprise once the new optimized muffler and tune gets installed and calibrated.

Yeah, it's been a bit of a wait, but the best things in life often are worth waiting for . Very much looking forward to seeing, hearing and feeling what further magic tricks the Dundon team performs on the GT4!
Old 05-11-2024, 12:54 AM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyNSX
The sounds coming out of the stock muffler with Dundon headers and OAPs are already fantastic (especially with their pro-tune), but I suspect I'll be in for a very pleasant surprise once the new optimized muffler and tune gets installed and calibrated.

Yeah, it's been a bit of a wait, but the best things in life often are worth waiting for . Very much looking forward to seeing, hearing and feeling what further magic tricks the Dundon team performs on the GT4!
Is yours Gig Harbor bound for the testing?
Old 05-11-2024, 02:19 AM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Is yours Gig Harbor bound for the testing?
Yup
The following users liked this post:
TRSCobra (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 09:36 AM
GianniG60
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
The 4RS muffler has been shipping for a while. The GT4 muffler enters at a different angle. We have a muffler for Doug in the works and have a few ways to get it all installed on the GT4. One is reusing 4RS overaxles and Cats for the guys buying headers and V11 muffler packages complete for their Gt4/Spyder. For those that have our GT4 headers currently we have an adapter package to get the 4RS muffler to work.

We will also be doing another tune on Doug's car for the addition of the muffler to extract the most power possible. And also testing the muffler and headers on a stock tune while we have his car to ensure all is happy.

More to come and thanks to Doug for his patience... This one took quite a while to get across the line and I'll be very happy to move this project from Development to production after a very long time!
@Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Jamie, thank you for the update on the rear muffler for the Spyder/GT4. If already running exhaust manifolds/OAP with 200cel cats, what do you anticipate the incremental horsepower gain would be with your new rear section (muffler)?
In other words, what would the horsepower gain be with adding the new muffler to your existing headers/OAP set up?
Old 05-13-2024, 10:13 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by GianniG60
@Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Jamie, thank you for the update on the rear muffler for the Spyder/GT4. If already running exhaust manifolds/OAP with 200cel cats, what do you anticipate the incremental horsepower gain would be with your new rear section (muffler)?
In other words, what would the horsepower gain be with adding the new muffler to your existing headers/OAP set up?
So couple things with this. The muffler will only work with our headers/OAP's. was a decision to ensure the most power was possible. We know the answer on the 4RS, and you all can find that on our website, is quite a kick. The physics holds for the 718 GT4 to get the same benefit and with some new maps opened up for us by Cobb, we will be able to take advantage of it.

I don't want to guess as that's why Doug's car is headed north to us this month!

Jamie
BabyNSX (05-14-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 05:49 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

She's headed your way Jamie!! Looking forward to seeing what you and the boys cook up for her

TRSCobra (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 10:39 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

She's headed your way Jamie!! Looking forward to seeing what you and the boys cook up for her

The worst part of watching my vehicles getting loaded into these trucks - and unloaded - is watching the driver try to get in/out of when there is no room for them to even open the door

Avera
Old 05-24-2024, 11:13 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avera
The worst part of watching my vehicles getting loaded into these trucks - and unloaded - is watching the driver try to get in/out of when there is no room for them to even open the door
Avera
Yeah, I hear you... The driver definitely had monkey skills Honestly he was totally cool and showed a great deal of care for the car.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:54 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Well, I will not spill the beans but the results are in from the Dundon team and the results I'm seeing and hearing are glorious... I suspect there will be some official updates from them soon ;-)

Here is a quick screen grab from the Whiskey Friday live stream this past week:

Those who have been patiently waiting will want to get in line to grab one of these
The following 7 users liked this post by BabyNSX:
Avera (06-26-2024), fasteddie99 (06-26-2024), GentianGentleman (06-26-2024), josephr25 (06-26-2024), MendraSlife (06-26-2024), Mike981S (06-26-2024), UncleDude (06-26-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:46 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Well, I will not spill the beans but the results are in from the Dundon team and the results I'm seeing and hearing are glorious... I suspect there will be some official updates from them soon ;-)

Here is a quick screen grab from the Whiskey Friday live stream this past week:
I have long moved on from the GT4 at this point . . . but I am still looking forward to 'hearing' the results

Avera
BabyNSX (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 03:26 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

With permission, here are the final results showing the significant improvements adding the rear muffler has made after performing the needed tuning to fully optimize the engine output.

The two graphs below are with my particular engine tuned and optimized for each configuration. Each configuration is the same with the only mechanical difference being the rear muffler. Environmental conditions where as similar as possible between the runs. Prior to optimizing my engine with the OE muffler (using the street tune) my engine made about 388WHP (on the finest 91 octane fuel California has to offer), so the Dundon team was able to squeeze out a bit more from the engine with the help of higher quality (read not from California) 92 octane fuel and a few additional tuning changes. Adding the the new muffler and tuning the engine further added an additional 14WHP .

Previously Dundon has measured a stock PDK equip'd GT4 which resulted in about 365WHP, and while that was on a different car, and different day, that does give a reasonable datapoint and is consistent with about a 10% drivetrain loss. Using that same calculus then it would be a reasonable estimate to say my car is making about 50WHP above its stock configuration. This lines up well with the likely ~30WHP gains from the header/OAPs + the additional gains from the muffler and tune. Of course these are rabbit holes best not entered into, but the obvious fact is the car is making significantly more power than it was from the factory, and the muffler and tune have made a big difference (even if surprisingly so).

According to Dundon the complete system will most certainly require a tune to work well as the reduced back pressure from the muffler opens up the engine so much that the OE tuning will struggle to keep up. Of course, they have a good tuning profile now that works with this setup.

The muffler will clearly only work with those already using Dundon headers, but does require new OAPs for which Dundon says there will be an exchange program. I'll leave it for Dundon to go into details on that.

More pictures and videos to follow

Last edited by BabyNSX; 06-26-2024 at 03:42 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by BabyNSX:
Avera (06-26-2024), BoxKing (06-26-2024), fasteddie99 (06-27-2024), j-dub (06-26-2024), KelvinC (06-26-2024), psuwcc112 (06-26-2024), TRSCobra (06-26-2024), Xxyion (06-26-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:51 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

With permission, here are the final results showing the significant improvements adding the rear muffler has made after performing the needed tuning to fully optimize the engine output.

The two graphs below are with my particular engine tuned and optimized for each configuration. Each configuration is the same with the only mechanical difference being the rear muffler. Environmental conditions where as similar as possible between the runs. Prior to optimizing my engine with the OE muffler (using the street tune) my engine made about 388WHP (on the finest 91 octane fuel California has to offer), so the Dundon team was able to squeeze out a bit more from the engine with the help of higher quality (read not from California) 92 octane fuel and a few additional tuning changes. Adding the the new muffler and tuning the engine further added an additional 14WHP .

Previously Dundon has measured a stock PDK equip'd GT4 which resulted in about 365WHP, and while that was on a different car, and different day, that does give a reasonable datapoint and is consistent with about a 10% drivetrain loss. Using that same calculus then it would be a reasonable estimate to say my car is making about 50WHP above its stock configuration. This lines up well with the likely ~30WHP gains from the header/OAPs + the additional gains from the muffler and tune. Of course these are rabbit holes best not entered into, but the obvious fact is the car is making significantly more power than it was from the factory, and the muffler and tune have made a big difference (even if surprisingly so).

According to Dundon the complete system will most certainly require a tune to work well as the reduced back pressure from the muffler opens up the engine so much that the OE tuning will struggle to keep up. Of course, they have a good tuning profile now that works with this setup.

The muffler will clearly only work with those already using Dundon headers, but does require new OAPs for which Dundon says there will be an exchange program. I'll leave it for Dundon to go into details on that.

More pictures and videos to follow

Good stuff!

Regarding gains, I still think the butt-dyno is most important when it comes to gains had from the headers/OAPs, or otherwisel. I absolutely appreciated the difference, which Dundon originally advertised - and you concur - to be about 30WHP from their headers/OAPs.

You suggest another 20WHP comes from muffler + tune. Not my intent to poo-poo your outcome, but you have ventured a LOOOONG climb for a SHORT slide with respect to those extra 20WHP . . . which I certainly hope ALL came from the tune given all that went into the tuning process. I am not going to digress at the moment, but I seriously doubt anyone would find 20WHP to be worth all the time and money invested if WHP gains were the sole objective.

Now, most importantly, the REAL reason you got the muffler . . . the ACOUSTICS. You know all the questions me and other are going to have . . .

1. Any drone?
2. How is the tone?
3. Howe are the decibels?
4. Etc.

As far as needing to swap out the OAPs, well, that is just another bummer. According to my understanding of your write-up . . . an owner would need to get new OAPs and a tune to make the vehicle perform optimally. I am going to venture a guess Dundon is not going to swap out the OAPs for free? Overall, we are looking at a HUGE investment in time and resources ($$$$$) for whatever the muffler accomplishes regarding questions posed above. If I still had my GT4 I would have to say - even if your GT4 sounded like a GT3RS - that is a not a 'climb' I would be willing to make or even consider. . . I would just get a GT4/Spyder RS, which you are going to end up doing anyway 🤣🤣🤣

Thank you for sharing . . . regardless of what I wrote above, I still look forward to hearing the results.

Avera
Old 06-26-2024, 08:25 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avera
Good stuff!

Regarding gains, I still think the butt-dyno is most important when it comes to gains had from the headers/OAPs, or otherwisel. I absolutely appreciated the difference, which Dundon originally advertised - and you concur - to be about 30WHP from their headers/OAPs.

You suggest another 20WHP comes from muffler + tune. Not my intent to poo-poo your outcome, but you have ventured a LOOOONG climb for a SHORT slide with respect to those extra 20WHP . . . which I certainly hope ALL came from the tune given all that went into the tuning process. I am not going to digress at the moment, but I seriously doubt anyone would find 20WHP to be worth all the time and money invested if WHP gains were the sole objective.

Now, most importantly, the REAL reason you got the muffler . . . the ACOUSTICS. You know all the questions me and other are going to have . . .

1. Any drone?
2. How is the tone?
3. Howe are the decibels?
4. Etc.

As far as needing to swap out the OAPs, well, that is just another bummer. According to my understanding of your write-up . . . an owner would need to get new OAPs and a tune to make the vehicle perform optimally. I am going to venture a guess Dundon is not going to swap out the OAPs for free? Overall, we are looking at a HUGE investment in time and resources ($$$$$) for whatever the muffler accomplishes regarding questions posed above. If I still had my GT4 I would have to say - even if your GT4 sounded like a GT3RS - that is a not a 'climb' I would be willing to make or even consider. . . I would just get a GT4/Spyder RS, which you are going to end up doing anyway 🤣🤣🤣

Thank you for sharing . . . regardless of what I wrote above, I still look forward to hearing the results.

Avera
Yes the gains do require an "all-in" approach but on a NA engine the diminishing returns was always going to require turning over every stone. It may not be a pill everyone is willing to swallow but look at the total area under the curve! Check out that significant mid-range bump! These gains would be just as impactful as adding the header and pipes without a tune or new back box. I think trying to extract what is having the single biggest impact would be challenging and not entirely useful.. engines are tuned air pumps and every component should be optimized to work together, I think what Dundon has done here is likely approaching the limit to what can be done with the long-block and intake system Porsche provided us with. I overlapped Dundons results with my engine with the GT4RS and it is making identical power to the RS all the way up to 7000RPM after which the 4RS and its better intake manifold and such allow it to pull away slightly. I can't wait for my butt dyno to confirm

The time and resources to achieve what has been achieved with my car has already been done, all new customers can benefit from that

Dundon mentioned an exchange program for the new OAPs for existing customers, I will let them speak to what that means. I simply don't know.

I suspect we will get some proper sound clips from Dundon soon to help answer the other big question but Jamie's initial feedback was extremely positive during his first test drive (ok, his opinion may be a bit biased, but from what I can hear with my own ears I suspect he and I will share the same opinion) There are some driving clips that he shared during the Dundon podcast last Friday (both at the beginning and end) The team also go into a lot of detail over the work they put into getting this dialed in:

https://www.youtube.com/live/Y-ZEdwu...9dZfHlBBZV8849

The following 4 users liked this post by BabyNSX:
Avera (06-26-2024), GentianGentleman (06-26-2024), MendraSlife (06-26-2024), UncleDude (06-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Dundon "Making the 718 GT4 Faster"