Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dundon "Making the 718 GT4 Faster"

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 11:09 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

Jamie can we get an overlay of the gt4 dyno with the 991.1 gt3? That would be awesome!
Old 08-24-2020, 10:54 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
Jamie, does the suspension setup eliminate all of the rubber (not counting engine and transmission mounts)? And how’s ride quality on the street (with MCS, I’d imagine it might actually be less jarring)?
It eliminates most of it yes, we wanted to be strategic as eliminating it all can be a bit costly. The Ride quality is nice in "street mode" we're still dialing in the spring rates, and canister pressures. If my 991.2 GT3RS with MCS is any guide we'll have it dialed in and buttery in no time.

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
Hi Jamie,

After watching videos of Dundon exhaust GT3/GT3RS ripping, I can't help to think this is the exhaust I want (I like it loud but prefer less drone). Curious to see why you have not prioritized the exhaust upgrades first over suspension?
I know alot of competitors are making them and I held off until you are have option for me....patiently waiting here!

I bet 90% of people won't go into changing suspension arm and/or fancy 3 way adjustable dampers mostly because they won't be able to find someone locally who can setup the cars properly and/or they are not driving at that competitive level on the track. For those that are pros or really good drivers who are chasing every second on the track, they properly have another race car/race team!
You'd be surprised how much better a car is with motorsports dampers on it if you're gonna track it. The Suspension tuning isn't just for lap times, it's for more "envelope" on the street, more traction, more connection more of what you bought the car for in the first place.

As far as the order of testing, while I appreciate you have your needs, we have a finite track season to test things and a limited opportunity for track time in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Fear not, our exhaust designs are in process. We only got the car a little over a month ago and have done 2 track testing sessions installed suspension, brake and aero upgrades, scanned the entire car and gotten baseline dyno's. We'll keep poking and prodding and making the new 718 GT4 better, in the order we need to get it all done...

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Subbed like a mug. This is gonna be legendary! Most reviewers agree this car has 1. Long gearing in the MT and 2. Sounds unacceptably like a vacuum cleaner. I dont know anyone that bought the car thats gonna leave the exhaust 100% stock, including people that dont mod. None of these guys are complaining about the gearing btw....
Youve got a really big potential market with alot of competitors offering exhaust solutions, and deliveries pouring in over the next year before they stop making these things. Are you planning on releasing some modular non-race components like a full catback valved exhaust? I think alot of people would eat this up. Especially since opf delete costs the better part of 2 grand from most other exhaust manufacturers. That said, a big part of the power comes from the dundon no-compromise performance design (and bomb diggety headers), which may not be in line with a more “conventional” exhaust system. Looking forward to some dynos and dragy pulls. You guys do it right!
We're concentrating on the things we do well, finding power. Catted for the street and race for those 718 Clubsport's out there (yes I'm aware the 718 CS has a 981 GT4 3.8L in it...). Will be doing a bit on the intake side as well ala our 991 GT3 intake goodies...

Originally Posted by Poupon McArr
Excuse my ignorance, but can someone explain what ECU cloning means?
ECU clone is essentially another ECU that you can tune and leave your stock ECU unmolested for those times you need to take the car to the dealer.

Originally Posted by electron mike
A 718 GT4 rated at 414 HP makes about the same wheel horsepower as a 991.1 GT3 rated at 475 HP? My 718 GT4 feels strong, but this is surprising!
Agreed, but it does "feel" like a 981 D4 GT4 as the gearing is the same between the 2 cars. And I'm way way more apt to believe our dyno than a published rating...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 08-25-2020, 01:41 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
It eliminates most of it yes, we wanted to be strategic as eliminating it all can be a bit costly. The Ride quality is nice in "street mode" we're still dialing in the spring rates, and canister pressures. If my 991.2 GT3RS with MCS is any guide we'll have it dialed in and buttery in no time.
Jamie, if you don’t mind sharing, what rubber remains and what would it take to eliminate those as well?
For “street mode”, you are referring to setting on the dampers, correct?
Thank you for doing the development work!
Old 08-25-2020, 03:42 AM
alexk79
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Jamie can we get an overlay of the gt4 dyno with the 991.1 gt3? That would be awesome!
Not a overlay but hopefully this helps

The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (10-27-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 04:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by alexk79
Wow, so if I'm interpreting this correctly, the 718 GT4 makes more whp than the 991. GT3 at EVERY rpm?! What is Porsche doing with their official HP numbers? This probably means that the official 20hp diff to the GTS 4.0 is just a marketing gimmick and not even a software difference.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:19 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports

You'd be surprised how much better a car is with motorsports dampers on it if you're gonna track it. The Suspension tuning isn't just for lap times, it's for more "envelope" on the street, more traction, more connection more of what you bought the car for in the first place.

As far as the order of testing, while I appreciate you have your needs, we have a finite track season to test things and a limited opportunity for track time in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Fear not, our exhaust designs are in process. We only got the car a little over a month ago and have done 2 track testing sessions installed suspension, brake and aero upgrades, scanned the entire car and gotten baseline dyno's. We'll keep poking and prodding and making the new 718 GT4 better, in the order we need to get it all done...
Fair enough, I had custom valved Penske racing shocks on my last car and tried some of the other known brands (i.e. Moton, MCS, Ohlin, etc). The dampers on the GT4 are built by Bilstein (from what I can tell) and should be better than a regular car (i.e. inverted dampers, threaded body for height adjustment, helper spring in the rear, etc). While I haven't seen the shock dyno plot, they have felt really good so far. I need to have more time on them to assess how much better a motorsport damper will be. Also, changing to MCS will lose the PASM? Curious to see why you are working with MCS (vs. Tractive suspension) which should keep the PASM.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:50 AM
alexk79
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Wow, so if I'm interpreting this correctly, the 718 GT4 makes more whp than the 991. GT3 at EVERY rpm?! What is Porsche doing with their official HP numbers? This probably means that the official 20hp diff to the GTS 4.0 is just a marketing gimmick and not even a software difference.
It’s making more sense now. On the thread, “How does the 718 GT4 compare with 981 GT4 and 991.1 GT3 on track?” Jonny from JCR claimed that the 718 GT4 is faster than a GT3 991.1 on Silverstone.

“Based on what i've seen the 718 GT4 is faster than a 991.1 GT3 when both installed with factory spec tyres.” Albeit, the GT4 is easier to go through corners faster but 55HP difference claimed by Porsche is huge, too huge to have similar times around Silverstone.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:53 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

It’s making more sense now. On the thread, “How does the 718 GT4 compare with 981 GT4 and 991.1 GT3 on track?” Jonny from JCR claimed that the 718 GT4 is faster than a GT3 991.1 on Silverstone.

“Based on what i've seen the 718 GT4 is faster than a 991.1 GT3 when both installed with factory spec tyres.” Albeit, the GT4 is easier to go through corners faster but 55HP difference claimed by Porsche is huge, too huge to have similar times around Silverstone.
Yes, I remembered exactly that thread and conversation when I saw the graphs. Maybe they should be linked in that thread, too. Frankly, I'm shocked that this is not discussed all over RL by now. This discovery about the new 4.0 for the mid-engine Porsches, if correct, is huge.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:49 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I bet they use the gt4rs version in the next gt3/rs plus hybridization...
edit. 992.2
Old 09-11-2020, 03:02 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

@Jamie@dundonmotorsports

Curious, does the entire suspension package weigh less than stock parts? Wondering if there’s an added bonus of slightly reduced weight.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:18 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

looking at the near redline mph, was the gt4 dyno in 3rd gear (108mph) and gt3 in 4th gear (122mph)?
Old 10-17-2020, 03:47 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Hoping to hear exciting exhaust news soon. My ideal setup would be great headers with cats, improved tone & pitch of the sound, quiet mufflers keeping the valves. Extra power would be bonus.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:59 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Dyno is comin’....
@Jamie@dundonmotorsports . Since this uses the stock muffler, Can you compare runs with valves connected and disconnected to see if there us any more utility to running a more aggressive rear box? And let us know if K&N/BMC filters were installed otherwise the dyno police might have a strokie.
porscheflat6 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 10:51 PM
frosty911
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Just by looking at these you know there are going to uncork the power potential that engine has.
Now the real treat is going to be that sound. Just can’t wait to hear it...
Old 10-18-2020, 12:01 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Nice!
porscheflat6 (10-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Dundon "Making the 718 GT4 Faster"