Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dundon "Making the 718 GT4 Faster"

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 03:43 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

Really curious if this setup will pass a 103db day at Laguna
Old 07-04-2024, 04:04 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by mr965
Really curious if this setup will pass a 103db day at Laguna
My best guess is that it will be slightly louder than 103dB as the setup with the OE muffler was 106dB at Thunderhill a couple months ago. I don't think the new muffler is significantly louder, but does provide a more motorsports sound. Dundon does have Laguna tips for this which I have and will use when I take it to Laguna, I don't think I'll bother with Thunderhill as it's unusual for them to actually enforce any noise restrictions there.
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (07-13-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:03 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Here are some sound clips I recorded today... hopefully that captures the sound well enough

Last edited by BabyNSX; 07-05-2024 at 07:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BabyNSX:
fasteddie99 (07-06-2024), k3|th (07-07-2024), UncleDude (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:20 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

The following 2 users liked this post by BabyNSX:
fasteddie99 (07-06-2024), UncleDude (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:28 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyNSX
Here are some sound clips I recorded today... hopefully that captures the sound well enough

https://youtu.be/Uxa5k3cDH9s
Doug

Hard to comment. Again, very hard to capture acoustics on video. I appreciate you obviously went to great lengths to try.

The above stated, I honestly cannot tell the difference between the Dundon and OEM rear box in terms of tone. Still has a lot of rumble . . . as opposed to the high-pitched RSR 'whine' I think most are after.

To be fair, the only system I have heard that produces a quality, high-pitched whine is the JCR Race Pipe. The KEY word is the only system I have 'heard,' as in person . . . unfortunately, as you know, hooked up with Dundon headers/OAPs the drone was insane and intolerable.

So, at the end of the day, all that matters is whether YOU are satisfied? You are in a honeymoon period so I suspect all is good.

How much do you want that 8-9K screaming, high-pitched whine (at least in the cabin )??? . . . I guess we can circle back in 6-12 months to see if you still have a GT4 in your garage, or an RS variant.

Thank you for sharing your journey Doug. You are a good dude and do things right.

Avera

Last edited by Avera; 07-05-2024 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 07:44 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avera
Doug

Hard to comment. Again, very hard to capture acoustics on video. I appreciate you obviously went to great lengths to try.

The above stated, I honestly cannot tell the difference between the Dundon and OEM rear box in terms of tone. Still has a lot of rumble . . . as opposed to the high-pitched RSR 'whine' I think most are after.

To be fair, the only system I have heard that produces a quality, high-pitched whine is the JCR Race Pipe. The KEY word is the only system I have 'heard,' as in person . . . unfortunately, as you know, hooked up with Dundon headers/OAPs the drone was insane and intolerable.

So, at the end of the day, all that matters is whether YOU are satisfied? You are in a honeymoon period so I suspect all is good.

How much do you want that 8-9K screaming, high-pitched whine (at least in the cabin )??? . . . I guess we can circle back in 6-12 months to see if you still have a GT4 in your garage, or an RS variant.

Thank you for sharing your journey Doug. You are a good dude and do things right.

Avera
I don't think this is the honeymoon period talking here... The sound is simply more refined with this setup vs the OE muffler. I can actually drive around with the valves open all the time now without the sound within the car being completely insane. Louder than with the valves closed, yes, but the resonances with the valves open have been reduced significantly. This exhaust shifts the acoustic output away from the lower octaves and tilts it more towards the higher ones. That is exactly what was needed here.

The added power gains are also absolutely apparent and a welcome bonus...

I did hand the keys over today to a very experienced Porsche peep today and got their impression of the setup, this person has been in 1000s of different Porsche models in various states of modification. He felt this setup was the absolute best sounding one he's heard on a 718 GT4. That is high praise from someone whose opinion I completely trust.
Avera (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:56 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,225 Posts

I think it has a unique tone based on all the videos I’ve watched (and made). It sounds really good in the cabin video in the lower ranges - smooth and refined. Doesn’t seem to get as high pitched as the x-pipe designs, but clearly this has other benefits. Thanks for sharing.
BabyNSX (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:56 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

I don't think this is the honeymoon period talking here... The sound is simply more refined with this setup vs the OE muffler. I can actually drive around with the valves open all the time now without the sound within the car being completely insane. Louder than with the valves closed, yes, but the resonances with the valves open have been reduced significantly. This exhaust shifts the acoustic output away from the lower octaves and tilts it more towards the higher ones. That is exactly what was needed here.

The added power gains are also absolutely apparent and a welcome bonus...

I did hand the keys over today to a very experienced Porsche peep today and got their impression of the setup, this person has been in 1000s of different Porsche models in various states of modification. He felt this setup was the absolute best sounding one he's heard on a 718 GT4. That is high praise from someone whose opinion I completely trust.
In-person experience cannot be replaced . . . I think you are reflecting on that fact, and glad you enjoy it so much

Avera
BabyNSX (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 08:09 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I think it has a unique tone based on all the videos I’ve watched (and made). It sounds really good in the cabin video in the lower ranges - smooth and refined. Doesn’t seem to get as high pitched as the x-pipe designs, but clearly this has other benefits. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, exactly... The Dundon solution is unlike anything else that I am aware of on the market (full OE like valved muffler) that isn't simply constructed with tubing and "off the shelf" resonator sections. It will, therefore, have it's own characteristics. I think of it more like the OE box on steroids, and what the factory would have loved to develop if regulations allowed.

Given the physical restrictions of the mid-engine layout of the cayman, there is simply is no way to create the same X-pipe design without some compromise to power output - the midrange gains this muffler was able to achieve were due in large part to the shorter path to atmosphere that a true x-pipe design would have prevented.

Everything about this setup seems consistent with Dundon's approach... performance first, then trying to deliver that performance with a package that you can live with. I think they nailed it
UncleDude (07-05-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 03:36 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Old 07-06-2024, 05:41 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

I got pulled over last year after a 'tunnel blast' . . . more like a wide overpass.

Cop was cool . . . just wanted to let me know there was no need to startle other drivers on the road like that. I suppose he was correct.

Avera
BabyNSX (07-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Dundon "Making the 718 GT4 Faster"