Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Production Shut Down!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 06:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
I was told basically the same thing. My ED (June 18) is def cancelled and this is the tracking sheet my SA sent me...seems I am pushed back about 2 months. Also seems that mine is a 3 week build time. I don't think I did anything crazy with the options, so not sure why it would take longer than any other car on the same line??
Thanks for sharing and confirming the 3-week build timing for your GT4.

By 'any other car on the same line' are you referring to other GT4's?
Old 04-17-2020, 06:42 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
By 'any other car on the same line' are you referring to other GT4's?
Correct. Why would some take 1 week and others take 3 weeks? My assumption is that they don't start the build until they have all the parts queued up as it would seem inefficient to have a car sitting half built waiting on a specific part to arrive.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:47 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Correct. Why would some take 1 week and others take 3 weeks? My assumption is that they don't start the build until they have all the parts queued up as it would seem inefficient to have a car sitting half built waiting on a specific part to arrive.
I would be surprised that they would start any car while they were still waiting for 'standard' option parts, the only time I thought that there would be an increase in build time was if there were certain exclusive options that were installed after build.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:59 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

The only time I thought that there would be an increase in build time was if there were certain exclusive options that were installed after build.
I felt this (below) was fairly basic. Any ideas?

Old 04-17-2020, 07:14 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I felt this (below) was fairly basic. Any ideas?
Your list above doesn't raise a single flag to me all of the options I see there are what I believe are normally installed on the regular production line.

Not sure why there would be any significant difference in build time over a similarly optioned car.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:19 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

4MICABLE

several of your items are "Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur"

I believe this adds time
The following users liked this post:
Surge74 (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 07:28 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSF101
4MICABLE

I believe this adds time
Coloured belts and gauges or wheels etc, are not retrofitted later, the go in at time of build, these won't delay the build.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:35 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
4MICABLE

I believe this adds time
I asked if PEM would add time to the build/assembly and he indicated it doesn't (i.e. it goes from one area to another to get PEM installed after, adding to the timeline); it normally takes a day to assemble the car. Typically CXX options are the ones that add time and anything really bespoke/custom (I'm thinking the custom side sills as an example). that said, they typically do add this extra time to the build sheet in those situations. My best guess from what I've learned so far is that while V260 says it's in the body shop, I don't think it's physically in the construction phase. I think parts are being gathered for my build including PEM which may take a little longer than if it was a standard spec. Once everything is in, then the real process begins and the actual body goes to paint, then assembly. At least that's what makes the most sense in my head as to why there are different timelines. We'd have to get to the individual options selected for those of us with longer or shorter build times to maybe narrow down which options may cause the biggest delay in the build due to sourcing. I'm sure it's all up in the air with how integrated the auto manufacturing sector is with JIT deliveries and COVID related delays in restart.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:01 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Coloured belts and gauges or wheels etc, are not retrofitted later, the go in at time of build, these won't delay the build.
No, that’s not true. These are replaced after production. Watch Schmee’s video of his GT3 production.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:08 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Surge74
No, that’s not true. These are replaced after production. Watch Schmee’s video of his GT3 production.
No link, no looky... The GT3 may be different

This would be extremely surprising that they bolt in a set of black seat belts then pull the back out to replace with a coloured set, install a standard gauge cluster then pull it back out to install a yellow one, bolt on wheels then take them off, it is simply not required, none of this sounds like German efficiency!

update!

@Surge74 Looks like you may be right and I am mistaken!

Last edited by Westcoast; 04-18-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: acknowledge my misunderstanding of PEM process
Old 04-18-2020, 01:30 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,178 Likes on 773 Posts

This would be extremely surprising that they bolt in a set of black seat belts then pull the back out to replace with a coloured set, install a standard gauge cluster then pull it back out to install a yellow one, bolt on wheels then take them off, it is simply not required, none of this sounds like German efficiency!

Parts are replaced after production off the assembly line.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:33 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Parts are replaced after production off the assembly line.
For real, they two step items that come assembled as units, still hard to believe that they would do it this way.... Wow!

Old 04-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I believe this is the video being referenced:

What are the odds I could keep my stock non-PEM parts that they take off if I decide I want to revert back to the standard option?

Based on Schmee's video, the following parts are what he identifies as installed after assembly: custom door sills, sport chrono clock in different colour, key side blades, extended leather interior. The white tachometer and gauges look to be installed at the factory. Seems like some PEM options are installed on the assembly line while others are after completion; probably dependent on how difficult and time consuming it is to swap something out. The stuff that was swapped out in the video were done within a minute or two, so anything more involved will probably be done on the assembly line. I'd assume stuff like painted headlight cleaning system, sport chrono clock, any extended leather stuff including steering column, visors, etc..and any optional sills are done after assembly. Stuff like the coloured gauges, black door handles (maybe?) painted emblems and seat belts (maybe?) and wheels would still be done on the line and could be a reason why some have a longer build timeline as parts need to arrive before assembly vs. after. All speculation of course!

I wonder if the assembly is in Osnabruck and then it goes to Zuffenhausen for any non-assembly line PEM options before being sent back to Osnabruck along with its siblings before being sent to Emden for shipping. All depends on what Osnabruck is equipped to do.

Last edited by Illusive991; 04-18-2020 at 01:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 01:45 PM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The Cayman's aren't built in Zuffenhausen we were told at the plant in Sept. . Perhaps they take longer since they have to go there for the expensive bits?
Old 04-18-2020, 02:08 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Illusive991
I believe this is the video being referenced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4-cSI_MzQc

What are the odds I could keep my stock non-PEM parts that they take off if I decide I want to revert back to the standard option?

Based on Schmee's video, the following parts are what he identifies as installed after assembly: custom door sills, sport chrono clock in different colour, key side blades, extended leather interior. The white tachometer and gauges look to be installed at the factory. Seems like some PEM options are installed on the assembly line while others are after completion; probably dependent on how difficult and time consuming it is to swap something out. The stuff that was swapped out in the video were done within a minute or two, so anything more involved will probably be done on the assembly line. I'd assume stuff like painted headlight cleaning system, sport chrono clock, any extended leather stuff including steering column, visors, etc..and any optional sills are done after assembly. Stuff like the coloured gauges, black door handles (maybe?) painted emblems and seat belts (maybe?) and wheels would still be done on the line and could be a reason why some have a longer build timeline as parts need to arrive before assembly vs. after. All speculation of course!

I wonder if the assembly is in Osnabruck and then it goes to Zuffenhausen for any non-assembly line PEM options before being sent back to Osnabruck along with its siblings before being sent to Emden for shipping. All depends on what Osnabruck is equipped to do.
Thanks for the link @Illusive991 still boggles the mind that they put certain parts on then pull them back off, I couldn't wrap my head around doing that especially after seeing this video and each snap as a clip releases. As you say I wonder if some PEM options are installed during assembly, for example I am thinking the XNS option; Steering Column Casing in Leather, for this IIRC they would have to remove the air bag and steering wheel to install? Add to this the mention that the removed standard parts are then scrapped , why not simply leave them off during assembly, they must have their reasons for this methodology.

So I count 7 Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur options on my Spyder... dang this is going to take forever!

Quick Reply: Production Shut Down!