Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Production Shut Down!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 03:37 PM
McMGC
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You mean your ETA for departure is 7/30, not estimated time of arrival at your dealer, correct? My car's at the port as well, scheduled to leave on 7/31.
yeah ETA for departure on 7/31(correction on this). We are on the same ship! Im guessing it will arrive at dealer on 9/11. Ironically not 7/18
Old 07-13-2020, 04:21 PM
F1-GT
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

I think I am on a similar timeline. My enter the bodyshop date (v260) was 7/10. I haven't reached out for any updates recently...just hope that the dates hold. My car is supposed to arrive at the dealer on 8/28. I'm in Houston.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:42 PM
CDACH
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by moshiden
Hello Everyone, first time posting. I just got a delivery delay notice. Seems like the car entered production on July 10th but won’t exit production until Sept 9th. Is this even normal? Perhaps a glitch? Anyone else having their delivery date delayed like this?
I'm in the same situation but expect an update in the next few days. I will post when received. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:45 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,022 Likes on 2,292 Posts

I'm curious about something, what happens to PEC LA delivery if it gets shut down for covid when the car arrives? Does PEC LA get cancelled?
Old 07-14-2020, 10:07 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Call and ask. I’m not sure about if your car is already there and they shut down if they will keep your car there and postpone the delivery since there’s no one there to otherwise send the car on to your dealer.

Back when there was some confusion in my PEC delivery and if PEC ATL would be open, they said they would be rerouting everyone’s cars to the dealer and giving a voucher to come back and do the driving portion at your future convenience. No refunds, just the voucher. My car was in transit at the time.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:57 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
Call and ask. I’m not sure about if your car is already there and they shut down if they will keep your car there and postpone the delivery since there’s no one there to otherwise send the car on to your dealer.

Back when there was some confusion in my PEC delivery and if PEC ATL would be open, they said they would be rerouting everyone’s cars to the dealer and giving a voucher to come back and do the driving portion at your future convenience. No refunds, just the voucher. My car was in transit at the time.
That would suck because if Porsche is selling it as an experience, picking it up at your dealer and then coming back with a voucher to do the driving part is not a complete experience. I understand that COVID is throwing wrench into a lot of things but they should also kick back some of the cost for the"non-experience" if that were the case.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:20 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
That would suck because if Porsche is selling it as an experience, picking it up at your dealer and then coming back with a voucher to do the driving part is not a complete experience. I understand that COVID is throwing wrench into a lot of things but they should also kick back some of the cost for the"non-experience" if that were the case.
I don't really agree, but I can understand your point. Hopefully some of the details below make this a non issue for you, should it occur. One thing to consider is how much of the $700 or $750 should they kick back for giving you everything you would have gotten, just not all at once?

The "experience" of picking up your car is the same as you would get at the dealer, except the instructor delivers it for you and talks you through break in, performance characteristics, features, walk through of menus and stuff, etc. If you have a good SA, that portion is the same. Driving it away from the PEC and all that is obviously unique (how many times do you get to drive out of there with a new car) but not really any different from driving off from the dealer. It's a parking lot/deck. Yes it's cool to see your car at the door, get some cool pictures, etc. (you can check my thread on the experience) but you can arrange that if you drive your car back there to do the driving portion later.

The rest of it you would get to do, but just at a later time. Driving, tours of the facility, food, etc. I understand for people who don't live close to a PEC and for whom it would be a struggle. In which case, I'd push hard for a refund or some concessions given from the dealer. But otherwise, you get what's advertised, just in a different way.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:34 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

I don't really agree, but I can understand your point. Hopefully some of the details below make this a non issue for you, should it occur. One thing to consider is how much of the $700 or $750 should they kick back for giving you everything you would have gotten, just not all at once?

The "experience" of picking up your car is the same as you would get at the dealer, except the instructor delivers it for you and talks you through break in, performance characteristics, features, walk through of menus and stuff, etc. If you have a good SA, that portion is the same. Driving it away from the PEC and all that is obviously unique (how many times do you get to drive out of there with a new car) but not really any different from driving off from the dealer. It's a parking lot/deck. Yes it's cool to see your car at the door, get some cool pictures, etc. (you can check my thread on the experience) but you can arrange that if you drive your car back there to do the driving portion later.

The rest of it you would get to do, but just at a later time. Driving, tours of the facility, food, etc. I understand for people who don't live close to a PEC and for whom it would be a struggle. In which case, I'd push hard for a refund or some concessions given from the dealer. But otherwise, you get what's advertised, just in a different way.
I agree that a delivery of your car is a delivery of your car and an SA can deliver a car just as someone at PEC LA/ATL can deliver your car but if that were truly the case where it's "just a delivery," Porsche wouldn't be charging extra money for it and calling it an experience. I know the fee goes to cover the driving instructions and lunch but they sell it as an experience which also includes getting to sign your name on the delivery star or whatever it's called. From what I can tell, you get a "personalized" delivery experience where you can ask for snacks in a specific color. I actually saw this on you tube. Kind of funny and tacky at the same time but I guess cool in a way. It appears that you have your own delivery room. I saw a video where there was a photographer in the room takin pictures. Not sure if this is part of what Porsche provides or the photographer was hired by the person picking up the car. If Porsche provides it, that would be another perk of picking up at PEC. I could sworn that I read somewhere that Porsche did give a poster a usb stick with the pictures taken so maybe it was a photographer hired by Porsche that's part of the experience.

There are other reasons why not getting to pick up at PEC LA/ATL would suck for people even if they get a voucher. For example those people that ordered out of state and are picking up at PEC LA/ATL to help offset transportation cost across the country.
The following users liked this post:
blackholescion (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 03:01 PM
blackholescion
Pro

You "liked" my review of my experience here: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...xperience.html. It talks through everything and answers a lot of your questions.

Your team is the delivery person who organizes the date/logistics and the instructor. You do get a "free" lunch and some other goodies. You can ask for anything within reason. I didn't know this, so I ended up with some fruit I didn't eat because I don't eat breakfast, and especially not before doing track driving. But it looked fresh and delicious. The delivery room is a separate garage that fits 2 cars. I'm not sure if your dealer has one, but mine does. There's a separate garage where they stage and do deliveries off to the side. It's just you, the instructor, and the organizer in there. The photographer is just the organizer walking around and taking pics. They will drive the car around to places around the PEC and take pictures for you so you don't have to worry about it. Very nice perk and they know all the good spots already. And yes, you get a USB drive with all the pictures they took. Poster might be a PECLA specific thing. Just like PECATL is slightly different in that you sign a board instead of a star.

As for how personal it is, it's not really any different from the dealer. You just get an overview of features, and you can ask about specific ones. They put your name on a TV as a welcome. That's really about it.

As you noted, the $750 buys you the track experience more than anything else. Just signing up for a GT3 experience at PEC is $900. Just throwing that out there.

Finally, all of the things I just mentioned, they would 100% let you come back and do. Sign the star, take pics of your car if you're driving it back, etc. I'm fully in agreement that it's not the same getting a delivery at the dealer. But you do get everything else. Ask them to throw in a gas card for your troubles and drive on back .

Instead of a voucher, push for a refund or concessions otherwise. It sounds like the entire experience is important to you and so I wouldn't accept anything else in that case. For me, if it turned out to be reality, I would have been fine driving back (6 hours) to do the rest of the delivery stuff other than picking up my car.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:12 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

You "liked" my review of my experience here: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...xperience.html. It talks through everything and answers a lot of your questions.

Your team is the delivery person who organizes the date/logistics and the instructor. You do get a "free" lunch and some other goodies. You can ask for anything within reason. I didn't know this, so I ended up with some fruit I didn't eat because I don't eat breakfast, and especially not before doing track driving. But it looked fresh and delicious. The delivery room is a separate garage that fits 2 cars. I'm not sure if your dealer has one, but mine does. There's a separate garage where they stage and do deliveries off to the side. It's just you, the instructor, and the organizer in there. The photographer is just the organizer walking around and taking pics. They will drive the car around to places around the PEC and take pictures for you so you don't have to worry about it. Very nice perk and they know all the good spots already. And yes, you get a USB drive with all the pictures they took. Poster might be a PECLA specific thing. Just like PECATL is slightly different in that you sign a board instead of a star.

As for how personal it is, it's not really any different from the dealer. You just get an overview of features, and you can ask about specific ones. They put your name on a TV as a welcome. That's really about it.

As you noted, the $750 buys you the track experience more than anything else. Just signing up for a GT3 experience at PEC is $900. Just throwing that out there.

Finally, all of the things I just mentioned, they would 100% let you come back and do. Sign the star, take pics of your car if you're driving it back, etc. I'm fully in agreement that it's not the same getting a delivery at the dealer. But you do get everything else. Ask them to throw in a gas card for your troubles and drive on back .

Instead of a voucher, push for a refund or concessions otherwise. It sounds like the entire experience is important to you and so I wouldn't accept anything else in that case. For me, if it turned out to be reality, I would have been fine driving back (6 hours) to do the rest of the delivery stuff other than picking up my car.
Please don't get me wrong as I totally understand the need to be flexible given the state of our world right now. I guess I'm hoping this doesn't come to fruition as I have PECLA delivery on my order sheet. Currently, my SA is saying Dec 4th is build date with PECLA delivery probably in the early part of 2021.

Maybe I should ask my SA what the official word is from PECLA if it is shut down when I'm scheduled for pick up. I know that's many months away but maybe if they come back with an answer that is totally out of left field and I don't agree with it, I have time to remove that option from my build and save $775.

Thanks again for sharing some more details of your experience.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Please don't get me wrong as I totally understand the need to be flexible given the state of our world right now. I guess I'm hoping this doesn't come to fruition as I have PECLA delivery on my order sheet. Currently, my SA is saying Dec 4th is build date with PECLA delivery probably in the early part of 2021.

Maybe I should ask my SA what the official word is from PECLA if it is shut down when I'm scheduled for pick up. I know that's many months away but maybe if they come back with an answer that is totally out of left field and I don't agree with it, I have time to remove that option from my build and save $775.

Thanks again for sharing some more details of your experience.
If PECLA is still shut down in the first quarter of 2021, we're all going to have much bigger problems to worry about than a refund of part of the price of PEC delivery.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:33 AM
Gatch
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You can ask for anything within reason. I didn't know this, so I ended up with some fruit I didn't eat because I don't eat breakfast, and especially not before doing track driving. But it looked fresh and delicious.
I’m not sure why, but this made me LOL.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:29 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If PECLA is still shut down in the first quarter of 2021, we're all going to have much bigger problems to worry about than a refund of part of the price of PEC delivery.
That is for sure. I'm still waiting to hear when we can (when it's safe) to send our kids back into the classrooms.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:16 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by klinkman
I'm actually excited about my GT4 being built there.....my 80 Scirocco was built there! It was a great car and I am sure this one will be also. 40 years later and my cars will have come full circle from the same plant in Germany, very cool. I also work in an industry where several brands of the aftermarket vehicles we sell are built in the same factory, despite different quality levels and recognized brand names. Each brand has their own production line and workers. Different engineering, features and finishes are preserved on each product line representative of the "stature" or position of the brand in the industry. Weird to me at first, but it works fine. We are buying a Porsche for the engineering, ultimate driving experience and product quality and they won't be compromised in Osnabruck or they won't be in business very long.....Having been a VW, Audi, and Porsche customer my entire life I am excited to get my latest Porsche from Osnabruck. In a history of owning 9 cars from the group, I only had one I considered less than stellar, a 94 Jetta built in Mexico. All others have been spectacular including my daily, a 2006 GTI with 286,000 miles.....
Holy crap Klinkman, I ran into this post because I just found out my Cayman on order was coming from Osnabruck. I also had a 1980 Scirocco S, one of the most beautiful cars to grace the earth. I recall in the 80s many of the VWs built in the Pennsylvania plant had more quality issues than the German built versions but part of the issue was that they were building "Americanized" versions with americanized interiors, trims and air conditioning for example. So since then I also put a personal premium on built in Germany. Many years have gone by and I have owned so many German cars that I no longer feel they are any better coming from Germany. I have owned 3 German built BMW E46s, two German built E82s and all my friends own Mercedes, BMWs and Audis all made in Germany. All unreliable compared to Japanese cars. Period. I had a 2008 VW GTI made in Germany that had all sorts of issues from oil consumption, electrical issues, bad ac, headliners and door cards delaminating...ALL MADE IN GERMANY. My German BMWs had issues with fuel pumps, plastic parts that deteriorate prematurely and a host of other cooling issues. Maybe that's why Porsche hung on to air cooled motors so long...a whole generation of German engineers never learned how to design a proper liquid filled cooling system. I even saw Nick Murray and Janko Lind document quality issues with their German built 911s that came out Stuttgart!

Anyway, I remember when the first VWs came out of Mexico they complained about quality control issues and I read about some of them and after my GTI fiasco, I swore I would never buy another VW again. Then in 2012 my mom fell in love and bought a 2013 VW Jetta GLI made in Mexico. I was leery but mom wanted it. Years went by and she did not have a single issue! In late 2017 I tried replacing my wife's GTI and we looked at everything else. Nothing she liked as much as her GTI. We were waiting to pick up her car from service and she saw the new Mk7 GTI and my wife was in love but she said...no never again. But I told her, my mom's Jetta has not had a single issue in 5 years so let's be open minded. We drove the Mk7 GTI and it was brilliant. We bought it in Oct. 2017 and have not had a single issue. I repeat that, our made in Mexico GTI has not had a single issue since Oct. 2017 to today 4 years later. My German friend and I cannot tell any difference in fit and finish from my previous German built GTI.

So the bottom line for me is that most people overestimate "Built in Germany". My mom's 2013 Jetta, my 2017 GTI built in Mexico have not had any of the issues of my previous German built VWs or Mercedes. That is my personal anecdotal experience. I believe the IMS bearing issue that plagued many Caymans, Boxsters and 911s was designed and built in Germany! The ****ty plastic expansion tanks, coolant pumps, radiators were designed and built in Germany! The ****ty plastic butterfly valve on Mercedes intakes, built and designed in Germany.

So, I can see how this started. Back when were young, German build quality was better than Brazil, Mexico etc. but today, from my personal experience, I just don't see any real quality difference and actually, the last two German cars built abroad have had better reliability than any of my German built ones.

So for those concerned about Osnabruck that care, at least be glad if it matters to you that you can say it's made in Germany. After writing this, I'm getting nervous again about buying another car made in Germany. I keep doing it and it keeps costing me a ton of money and repairs once they go out of warranty.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 10-17-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Production Shut Down!