Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Production Shut Down!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 08:51 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by klinkman
The way I read the VW press release is that the plant in Osnabruck (one of the other factories in Germany) won't be opening until 4/27. According to many previous posts here that is where the Gt4s are being produced.....anybody see that differently? I would expect a press release from Porsche in the near future with more details but reading through the lines that is what I am seeing.....
This was my read of it as well, however this also caught my eye: "On this basis, short-time working is to continue at the Volkswagen plants in Germany. However, the number of employees affected by short time working will be successively reduced in line with the resumption of production." I read that as they've been continuing with 'short-time' shifts throughout this shut down and it's continuing through the process of restarting the factories, slowly being phased out as production is resumes with normal shifts.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:16 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,178 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Illusive991
Unfortunately I don't have a subscription, but I can lift the text from the source. 1[/url]
Thanks!
Old 04-15-2020, 09:21 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
Summer cars can be driven from April to October in Toronto if not longer. I know it is not ideal but not much we can do about the weather.

I don't think I have a choice to defer to 2021 model. I already signed and gave a deposit. I think the laws protect the dealerships more than the consumer in Toronto. I am not willing to lose my deposit for a deferred 2021 model....my sales guy wants to be paid, it is in the best interest for everyone to get their cars sooner.
October possibly but the Spyder won't be the same with a jacket and heaters on in Oct vs summer. My point is taking delivery in late August or September. Not much top down weather without bundling up after September. Why bother unless you really really want the car.

You should be able to get your deposit back and cancel because the car is not being delivered as promised which is what you perhaps based the purchase decision on. It is significantly later. I would roll the dice on getting a Spring 2021 allocation.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
October possibly but the Spyder won't be the same with a jacket and heaters on in Oct vs summer. My point is taking delivery in late August or September. Not much top down weather without bundling up after September. Why bother unless you really really want the car.

You should be able to get your deposit back and cancel because the car is not being delivered as promised which is what you perhaps based the purchase decision on. It is significantly later. I would roll the dice on getting a Spring 2021 allocation.
So have you begun to look toward the option of waiting until 2021 as well?

I am still hoping for a June or July delivery.
The following users liked this post:
718GT4.0 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 02:56 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So have you begun to look toward the option of waiting until 2021 as well?

I am still hoping for a June or July delivery.
When the shut down first happened I let the dealer know if it's late summer or beyond I may not be interested in taking delivery because I won't drive it in the winter and was expecting it beginning of June. They didn't comment. So will see. Hoping July 24 sticks if not sooner.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:38 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

When the shut down first happened I let the dealer know if it's late summer or beyond I may not be interested in taking delivery because I won't drive it in the winter and was expecting it beginning of June. They didn't comment. So will see. Hoping July 24 sticks if not sooner.
Depends how long you plan on keeping the car. If just a couple of years, then it may matter if you get it this summer or not. If more long term, then one season won't matter. Still, I am still not sure what different it really makes. If you want the car, keep it a year longer to get that missed season.
n4v4nod (04-17-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 06:41 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 424 Posts

Gilead reporting Rapid Positive Results from its Remdesivir drug at University of Chicago.

With a therapeutic, this is entering a much better place.

The end is near. IMHO.
Underblu (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 06:59 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
Depends how long you plan on keeping the car. If just a couple of years, then it may matter if you get it this summer or not. If more long term, then one season won't matter. Still, I am still not sure what different it really makes. If you want the car, keep it a year longer to get that missed season.
Don't know for how long. Maybe 2-3 years or a keeper if I really like it and don't need to sell it for another car.

It's about spending money on a depreciating asset versus having the money elsewhere making money. If the want was strong then I wouldn't care. The want isn't strong so I care about parking money in the garage for 6 months.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:30 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Don't know for how long. Maybe 2-3 years or a keeper if I really like it and don't need to sell it for another car.

It's about spending money on a depreciating asset versus having the money elsewhere making money. If the want was strong then I wouldn't care. The want isn't strong so I care about parking money in the garage for 6 months.
This is a time where return on your investment and a car is so true, IMHO there is no point having it if you can't drive it!
Old 04-16-2020, 10:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Gilead reporting Rapid Positive Results from its Remdesivir drug at University of Chicago.

With a therapeutic, this is entering a much better place.

The end is near. IMHO.
Yeahhh, Gilead isn't reporting it per se, the press is reporting on very limited field results and may even be overplaying what's actually going on. Gilead is still saying to take it with a grain of salt. Just last week, China stopped a similar trial due to lack of results.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:00 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 424 Posts

Correct, the report wasn't from Gilead, but an independent reporting from sources at University of Chicago. My bad, its exciting to see some positive movement beyond social distance curve flattening.

But in so far as China goes, after Gilead supplied China with Remdesivir for their fight in January, I've read Chinese pharma BrightGene claims to have successfully copied Remdesivir. China has a lot to answer for, and its difficult to believe anything coming out of China right now.

I'm with Dr. Gottlieb who is saying: "Accumulating data on remdesivir in
#COVID19 could seem to support authorizing broader access to drug under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA), especially now that the NIAID trial could be fully enrolled. That trial will serve as confirmatory evidence."

Old 04-17-2020, 10:14 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
This is a time where return on your investment and a car is so true, IMHO there is no point having it if you can't drive it!
True, but many people will be storing for the winter anyway, so why does it really matter when in the ownership cycle that happens. Now.....if you think this is a great time to buy for investment purposes, you should just cancel your order and invest the cash.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:50 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
True, but many people will be storing for the winter anyway, so why does it really matter when in the ownership cycle that happens. Now.....if you think this is a great time to buy for investment purposes, you should just cancel your order and invest the cash.
Each situation is different. The people storing for the winter may also really really want the car and don't care about the opportunity cost, they will take delivery Oct/Nov/Dec and be thrilled with their catch.

Believe this started with my comment. So will add more colour to it. Yes I could take the $155K CAD or whatever and invest it now, stocks are on sale! But I also want the car and would be fine with that trade off taking delivery early-mid summer (July) and not investing it. One can think two things are great ideas but only choose one, because emotions sometimes win over finances. But taking delivery Aug or later is questionable because of the short driving season. I also have three other fun cars to drive around, I work, have a wife and young kids. So time is not on my side to enjoy driving on a whim. I also said that I'd roll the dice on getting a spring 2021 allocation when the driving season starts again. If that happens my money isn't fading away in the garage Oct 15-April 15 (it's really cold here today, April 17). If I don't get the spring allocation I won't be devastated as I don't really really want the car.

Hope that clears it up. Each person will have their own feelings and thought process.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:31 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
I insure and drive my car year round so I am fortunate, however if I could not then it would be a decision I too would wrestle with, if I had to store it for the winter then I would seriously look at a 2021 model for better timing.
718GT4.0 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 11:38 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Each situation is different. The people storing for the winter may also really really want the car and don't care about the opportunity cost, they will take delivery Oct/Nov/Dec and be thrilled with their catch.

Believe this started with my comment. So will add more colour to it. Yes I could take the $155K CAD or whatever and invest it now, stocks are on sale! But I also want the car and would be fine with that trade off taking delivery early-mid summer (July) and not investing it. One can think two things are great ideas but only choose one, because emotions sometimes win over finances. But taking delivery Aug or later is questionable because of the short driving season. I also have three other fun cars to drive around, I work, have a wife and young kids. So time is not on my side to enjoy driving on a whim. I also said that I'd roll the dice on getting a spring 2021 allocation when the driving season starts again. If that happens my money isn't fading away in the garage Oct 15-April 15 (it's really cold here today, April 17). If I don't get the spring allocation I won't be devastated as I don't really really want the car.

Hope that clears it up. Each person will have their own feelings and thought process.
ST, I appreciate and understand what you say above, and given by you list of cars in the signature you are not lacking a toy to drive so your comment above confuses me, in your case unless timing is perfect and the car is perfect, why bother at all?

Quick Reply: Production Shut Down!