Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Time to renegotiate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 07:41 AM
MRflat6
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think we all must require the filters on the cars we receive are fitted for to anti-Covid 19 filteration spec.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

The OP is in Canada. Canceling an order and getting your deposit back is no bueno amigo. We saw a recent thread like this in the 992 Forum.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:39 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

This current economic situation certainly opens up room for negotiation
Old 03-13-2020, 12:42 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

A signed contract legally binds and requires that you abide by it's language, do-overs are unlikely unless both parties agree.

If the OP has second thoughts about the purchase, choice is limited; buy it or walk away and lose the deposit. Talking to the dealer won't hurt, but the dealer has the winning hand.

Early adopters of in-demand items pay the price, full MSRP and ADM may be added as well.

Likely all this was all known by the OP before the purchase was made. Satisfying wants and desires can be expensive.

The following users liked this post:
Jim137a (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 01:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
A signed contract legally binds and requires that you abide by it's language, do-overs are unlikely unless both parties agree.

If the OP has second thoughts about the purchase, choice is limited; buy it or walk away and lose the deposit. Talking to the dealer won't hurt, but the dealer has the winning hand.
Again, I don't know where you guys live, or where the OP does, but in many (maybe even most) States in the U.S. the placing of the deposit is not a binding contract. The deal only becomes binding at the time the papers are signed at delivery. So it's possible, likely even, there is no 'signed contract' in this case.

Either way, this is totally personal to the OP. I always wonder why people ask for advice on this stuff. Personally, I would not be renegotiating terms, I'd simply decide whether I want it or not and move on from there. But that's just me. He should do whatever he feels is right for him.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The OP is in Canada. Canceling an order and getting your deposit back is no bueno amigo. We saw a recent thread like this in the 992 Forum.
If that's the case, he should just have the conversation and expect that it'll probably go nowhere.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:28 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 445 Posts

If it were me I wouldn't do anything until the car arrived as by then we may be in full recovery, financial Armageddon or somewhere in between. Always best to read the field before taking the shot.
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 02:42 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Asking is always free. Perhaps Porsche itself my offer incentives? Dought it though.

I wouldn't push as everything was up front. Changing midstream is a not an elegant option for either side of the fence. Just think if the market had gone up 30% and demand soared for the car and dealer wanting more after you both agreed?
Old 03-13-2020, 04:12 PM
CDACH
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

I was pretty happy to get an allocation at MSRP, so personally I won't be asking for a discount unless there is a major change on Porsche's end, like a significant delay. Hoping my June build stays on track!
Old 03-13-2020, 08:12 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 391 Posts

I guess my word means more to me. If I made a deal, I stick with it. I made a deal to pay ADM on a 3RS 18 months a go. By the time the car go there, ADM was gone. Dealer and I knew it. They did some extra stuff for me with out asking and I honored the deal. Probably why I'm getting a MSRP deal on their first Spyder now. Bought a 992 from them a couple months ago and they gave me a fair discount without any haggling.
The following 7 users liked this post by joejenie:
0Q991 (03-13-2020), helothere (03-16-2020), Jim137a (03-14-2020), NFSF (03-17-2020), phefner (03-13-2020), Westcoast (03-13-2020), works_team (03-14-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-14-2020, 09:51 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 226 Posts

Mine gets here in May or June. By then COVID19 will have become a very big deal or not such a big deal because the virus spread is exponential (or not given mitigating factors in place) and the economic impact of a sudden stop is occurring as we speak (see opentable restaurant traffic data, yikes).

One way to "hedge" your purchase is to lease and decide to buy it out or walk in 3 years. I would normally say that's nuts with a Porsche, but things may have permanently changed on actual residual values vs lease residual values (though more likely than not, they haven't) and maybe they will be desperate to sell cars by summer and have incentives in place.

One of the benefits to getting one of these cars now is that lower demand/supply today will improve the market dynamics tomorrow, if you care. (I do not though I worry about the tone deafness of buying this car as millions suffer).

I wasn't buying Porsche's in 2008. Did they finally crack on financing incentives?
Old 03-14-2020, 05:42 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Given what is at stake, trying to exploit Covid19 to shave a few thousand dollars off what amounts to a very expensive discretionary purchase seems callous. I see little distinction between that and price gouging people trying to buy Hand sanitizer.

While for most people, Covid19 will be less debilitating than the flu du jour, the elderly and those with underlying conditions are at significant risk. In Italy, where the virus has killed over 1200 people, the average age of those people is 81. Given the almost bifurcated manner in which this disease affects people based on age and health, extraordinary efforts must be taken to safeguard those most at risk. Hopefully in the US, every state will prioritize Covid19 tests to nursing homes, assisted living communities, rehab centers and hospitals as well as increase inspections of those facilities to ensure compliance. If we can protect those most vulnerable, the virus can run its course in a couple of months with minimal human loss

The economy too will recover as will the markets. But not without a certain amount of human suffering. Do you really want to be the guy that got a great deal on a Porsche because of a disease. Will that increase your enjoyment of the car?
The following 8 users liked this post by Underblu:
AmneZia (03-15-2020), ElMills (03-14-2020), fantom (03-14-2020), Foggy916 (03-14-2020), helothere (03-16-2020), Jim137a (03-14-2020), Westcoast (03-16-2020), works_team (03-15-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-17-2020, 04:54 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

To make this analogous or to conflate it with exploiting a situation with respect to hand sanitizer is both myopic and disingenuous at best. The market has changed substantially. I check the car market regularly and car prices are dropping. Yes even for Porsche’s.

Porsche has the right to charge what it wants. But even they are re-examining their profit margin. See link below . That was the basis of my post. We are in uncharted waters and I don’t think my question was out of order in terms of sharing the pain. Maybe Porsche could “get by” with only 10% profit margin and pass the other 5% on to the customer was all I was getting at. And a repeat customer at that. Many bottom lines are being effected by this pandemic. Look at the last line of the article. He uses the term “major crisis”. Is Covid 19 not a major crisis? And his other key word was temporarily. Perhaps Porsche won’t negotiate because it is a GT car, but what is the harm in asking? We are all in a different financial position then we were even a week ago.

“Still, the brand is sticking with its long-held goal to generate profit margins of at least 15%, more than twice as much as most VW group sister brands generate. Meschke reiterated the margin can fall below this threshold temporarily if a major crisis hits.”

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...tters-industry
Old 03-17-2020, 05:08 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
To make this analogous or to conflate it with exploiting a situation with respect to hand sanitizer is both myopic and disingenuous at best. The market has changed substantially. I check the car market regularly and car prices are dropping. Yes even for Porsche’s.

Porsche has the right to charge what it wants. But even they are re-examining their profit margin. See link below . That was the basis of my post. We are in uncharted waters and I don’t think my question was out of order in terms of sharing the pain. Maybe Porsche could “get by” with only 10% profit margin and pass the other 5% on to the customer was all I was getting at. And a repeat customer at that. Many bottom lines are being effected by this pandemic. Look at the last line of the article. He uses the term “major crisis”. Is Covid 19 not a major crisis? And his other key word was temporarily. Perhaps Porsche won’t negotiate because it is a GT car, but what is the harm in asking? We are all in a different financial position then we were even a week ago.

“Still, the brand is sticking with its long-held goal to generate profit margins of at least 15%, more than twice as much as most VW group sister brands generate. Meschke reiterated the margin can fall below this threshold temporarily if a major crisis hits.”

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...tters-industry
this is what you said:

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
I have a Spyder entering production soon. Paid full MRSP and some other BS fees (dealer car prep, etc - in Canada. I am thinking about cancelling or at least renegotiate the deal. The economic waters are changing. Porsche certainly had the high ground with more demand than allocations. Has that changed now?
"Bend over or I cancel my order" is a very different proposition than "hey, these are tough times for everyone, I want to keep this deal what can you do for me ?"

Your local dealer is a franchise, not Porsche, and while Porsche / VW are going to be just fine, your dealer is probably ****ed. Sure, you can squeeze them. But maybe the goodwill from your SA for your next purchase would be worth more ? "Remember that time I hung with you during the worst economic contraction in 40 years ? Maybe I should be a little higher on the list for that new-hotness allocation ..."

I'll observe however that the factories are shutting down and supply will ironically be more constrained, not less in the very short term. Porsche will cut back until supply meets demand.

you do you man
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
JAhmed (03-19-2020), Underblu (03-18-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 05:31 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

Same thread I have posted below. With a similar question to mine. Some well thought out cerebral responses. My dealer will be just fine. Really “bend over”? Asking for percentage off of MRSP during a changed economic environment? He sells a car and makes money. That is asking someone to bend over? I guess we have a different opinion of economics 101.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1185...fallout-4.html

Quick Reply: Time to renegotiate?