Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Time to renegotiate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 02:01 PM
JonnyD72
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
I understand that , but we all make compromises in life depending on the surrounding environment ... Current events are major in reference to economy, so a smart dealer , can take less of a profit to move a car rather than risk the car sitting around and they might take a loss on it
also , the actual cost to dealer of services I suggested are much less than retail price so it looks better to the customer and both parties will be happy
most of us are going to be affected financially by this in way or another, some more than others
I am not telling op to do that , just gave few suggestions that to me are a good compromise
I'm well aware of the difference between cost and retail....at the end of the day there's still a cost associated with all of those products and getting them for "free" is a loss to the gross margin of the car. I guess where I'm confused is why the dealership should have to "compromise" on anything after the OP agreed to pay MSRP regardless of the current situation AFTER an agreement was reached. I can guarantee you that if the situation was reversed and the dealership tried to do an ADM after the terms had been agreed upon the OP would have an f'n meltdown! If the OP wants to renegotiate then he should cancel his order (if possible) and start all over.....
Old 03-12-2020, 03:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

In the immortal words of Master Yoda, "Do or Do Not, There is No Try"
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (03-13-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 03:53 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Why is it United or American Airline's problem to make market adjustments when bookings drop off a cliff? Porsche makes "market adjustments" in their favor when they can, if the economy slows they'll need to get more aggressive or sell fewer cars.

That said, the Spyder should be fairly exempt from discounting so the dealer will probably just keep the deposit and sell the car to someone else. However, it doesn't hurt to ask for a better price when the car gets here, if they refuse you can always go to plan B.
Does American Airlines or United come to you after you've booked your flight and say "hey our prices just dropped, have some money back?". NOPE, they sure don't!

OP can walk away from the deal, lose his deposit (no different than airline cancellation fees), and find a new deal at a better price if he so desires. If he's signed the papers, he has made an agreement, and has no right to ask for money back.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:08 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 445 Posts

It's not like car dealers don't know there's a tough market coming and the dealer may be thrilled to save the deal by giving a curtsy discount. The OP won't know unless he asks. I haven't seen many 2 week periods when the stock market drops 8,000 points so anyone not re-evaluating their financial obligations may get stung.
Bob815 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 04:41 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

For all those who feel it is somewhat appropriate to ask for a discount due to current market dynamics...I bet you would not agree with that logic if you were the seller.

So a deal is no longer a deal, even if there is a signed agreement? What is the purpose of an agreement? How about the scenario where you just verbally agree to buy the car. Then when the vehicle is delivered and you go to pick it up you find out the dealer has found someone offering more money than you, you miss out because the dealer sells to him. This is the same type scenario the OP is posting about, but one that would happen in an up market. Is that fair? Under the OP's logic - YES. The price should be a function of current market!!!!

If it were me I'd chalk it up to unfortunate timing vis-à-vis the market, but if I'd signed an agreement I'd sure attempt to abide by it. Worst case, I'd tell the dealer I would like to cancel if he is able to find another buyer. But I wouldn't start horse trading AFTER the car is delivered.

I just heard a story yesterday from a guy who bought a brand new Mercedes. Purchased the tire and wheel package, windshield protection and the door ding protection. For two weeks now he's been scraping the lip of the front bumper going in and out of his driveway, and he goes back to the dealer to demand that they fix it under his door ding protection. They tell him that the front spoiler isn't covered. He's livid and demands they cancel the tire & wheel, windshield and door ding policies and give him that money back. HE THINKS HE IS IN THE RIGHT AND THE DEALER IS WRONG!. I'd hate to be a high end car dealer, or in any service industry and have to deal with the general public today. You can't win and you can't make people happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTorTT:
Jim Rockford (03-17-2020), Westcoast (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 05:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
OP can walk away from the deal, lose his deposit (no different than airline cancellation fees), and find a new deal at a better price if he so desires. If he's signed the papers, he has made an agreement, and has no right to ask for money back.
Actually, in many States, he won't lose his deposit. States like California require refund of deposits if the purchase is not made.

Last edited by Archimedes; 03-12-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:30 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So by your comments it would be implied that during good times and strong demand we should all line up and pay MSRP plus ADM?

I think a key point here is that the OP agreed and possibly papers to buy the car at an agreed to price otherwise the order with his spec would not have been entered into the system, I see that as a agreement to be honored by both parties!
agree with you to some extent , but what is happening here is very rare and unusual serious bunch of events affecting the global economy
what I am proposing is a happy medium considering the above , and both parties will be happy
and by the way a lot of people paid ADM for GT cars
Look at all the events being cancelled across the country , for a kid that does valet parking at an event and will have zero customers , would you pay him any ways ??
Old 03-12-2020, 08:29 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT
I just heard a story yesterday from a guy who bought a brand new Mercedes. Purchased the tire and wheel package, windshield protection and the door ding protection. For two weeks now he's been scraping the lip of the front bumper going in and out of his driveway, and he goes back to the dealer to demand that they fix it under his door ding protection. They tell him that the front spoiler isn't covered. He's livid and demands they cancel the tire & wheel, windshield and door ding policies and give him that money back. HE THINKS HE IS IN THE RIGHT AND THE DEALER IS WRONG!. I'd hate to be a high end car dealer, or in any service industry and have to deal with the general public today. You can't win and you can't make people happy.
I'm not going to take this off topic. But, this is nothing compared to the horror stories I hear from my wife who works at a dealership.
Surprised the sales portion of the business makes money sometimes.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
agree with you to some extent , but what is happening here is very rare and unusual serious bunch of events affecting the global economy
what I am proposing is a happy medium considering the above , and both parties will be happy
and by the way a lot of people paid ADM for GT cars
Look at all the events being cancelled across the country , for a kid that does valet parking at an event and will have zero customers , would you pay him any ways ??
I don't see the coronavirus as rare or unusual event, how the market is reacting is troubling especially when you consider 1000's die from the flu every year, 10s of thousands from cancer, to name only two threats, sad but true.

Anyway, your comparison to the lot valet is flawed, if there are no cars to park therefore no service to provide yes the valet is out of luck, but with Porsche if they can deliver the car at the agreed price then the contract is fulfilled, and should be honored.
Underblu (03-14-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 09:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I don't see the coronavirus as rare or unusual event, how the market is reacting is troubling especially when you consider 1000's die from the flu every year, 10s of thousands from cancer, to name only two threats, sad but true.
Sorry, but this is just so wrong. The coronavirus is an incredibly rare event. It is far more virulent and deadly than the flu and, more importantly, there is currently no vaccine or treatment for it. Without drastic measures, this would kill millions and make the flu look like a hangnail. I don't know why people don't get this. And because it is a severe virus with no vaccine or treatment, the only option to avoid a global catastrophe is what you're seeing, massive quarantine and disruption of the entire global economy.

This has the very real potential to be the worst economic crisis of our lifetimes, potentially costing thousands of lives and possibly millions of jobs. Is that not rare or unusual enough for you?

All I know is that all of the smart people I know are gravely concerned both about the virus and the economy.
The following 5 users liked this post by Archimedes:
AlexCeres (03-13-2020), Dbridges (03-13-2020), JAhmed (03-13-2020), MRflat6 (03-13-2020), X2Board (04-09-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 12:53 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Actually, in many States, he won't lose his deposit. States like California require refund of deposits if the purchase is not made.
I believe in many cases, you don't get your deposit back until the car is sold. It can be up to the dealer as a modestly spec'd vehicle is probably easy to sell (maybe not in current climate), but an odd spec'd one can be hard to sell.
Manoverpdk (04-27-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 01:23 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

This has the very real potential to be the worst economic crisis of our lifetimes, potentially costing thousands of lives and possibly millions of jobs. Is that not rare or unusual enough for you?
All I know is that all of the smart people I know are gravely concerned both about the virus and the economy.
So is force majeure in play with Covid-19 and the commitment to the Spyder or GT4?
Old 03-13-2020, 01:53 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
I believe in many cases, you don't get your deposit back until the car is sold. It can be up to the dealer as a modestly spec'd vehicle is probably easy to sell (maybe not in current climate), but an odd spec'd one can be hard to sell.
Not in California. You can back out anytime you want and they have to refund your deposit immediately.
MRflat6 (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 02:44 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If he wants to play hard ball, incomplete deals are always re-negotiable. Signed contract or not, the car hasn’t been delivered.

if the dealer gave an early allocation at MSRP, it is a dick move. OP can go be a dick. No law against that. Indeed in CA the law is squarely on OP’s side.

but it does seem unfortunate not to support your dealer on the cusp of a major economic downturn. If for no other reason than it might inconvenience you in the future. I’m making a list of local restaurants I need to remember to get take out from regularly so I might still be able to enjoy them next year ....
Trapperj (04-16-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 02:51 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Sorry, but this is just so wrong. The coronavirus is an incredibly rare event. It is far more virulent and deadly than the flu and, more importantly, there is currently no vaccine or treatment for it. Without drastic measures, this would kill millions and make the flu look like a hangnail. I don't know why people don't get this. And because it is a severe virus with no vaccine or treatment, the only option to avoid a global catastrophe is what you're seeing, massive quarantine and disruption of the entire global economy.

The smart people know that there are a lot of facts missing from the statements above including that there is treatment, a vaccine on the way and a significant reduction in new cases at the epicenter of this outbreak... but as this is a Porsche forum I will not take part in any further discussion about the Coronavirus on Rennlist.

Quick Reply: Time to renegotiate?