Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Time to renegotiate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 10:46 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
Thanks - they didn’t mind quoting me $140,000 for a GT4 in 2015. They had one “traded back” in with less 1000 kilometres on it. Retail was less than $100,000. I noted that and they said that is the market. They inferred that the market for this car had changed. Sort of like Kevin’ Costner’s character in the film Draft Day, when negotiating a trade on draft day when he said to his fellow GM “We are in a lot different world than we were 5 seconds ago”. I have purchased lots of new and used cars over a lifetime and Porsche was the first I bought at MRSP - they told me they don’t negotiate on list price.

To be clear I want to buy the car, I want to keep the economy going because if we all stop we will be in a recession. That is not my intent but if in a few months this car depreciates significantly wouldn’t that make me a fool to have paid full sticker, given what’s going on - to at least inquire. Price is almost always determined by supply and demand. The title of the thread wasn’t a statement but rather a question. Thanks to those who responded. I appreciate all perspectives.
Porsche isn't responsible to protect you from the market. If you want to back out of the deal because of some perception that the car is less valuable (the msrp hasn't changed btw), that's on you.
The following users liked this post:
fueledbymetal (04-10-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 11:15 PM
JonnyD72
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
since you agreed to MSRP, I will talk to them about some freebies like free maintenance, wheel and tire protection , may be cover the cost of PPF.. I think it will be a win for both parties.
Where do you think the money for these services come from? It comes out of the gross margin of the car. There's no way service is gonna absorb the free maintenance, there's no way parts and service is gonna absorb PPF, and there's no way F&I is gonna give away Tire and Wheel. At the end of the day all these products have a "cost" associated with them and are going to end up falling back on the sales department and the gross margin of the car.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:06 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

These threads about value are the bane of Rennlist. Fing moronic. If you don’t want to buy the car, don’t buy it. The market will sort it all out.
The following 6 users liked this post by Archimedes:
ajw45 (03-14-2020), fueledbymetal (04-10-2020), josephr25 (03-12-2020), jskenefick (04-22-2020), rodsky (03-17-2020), rsierra (03-18-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-12-2020, 12:12 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

It wasn’t about the value of Porsche’s - it was about buying a new car in what may be a quickly changing market.
AlexCeres (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 12:14 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 332 Posts

It wasn’t about the value of Porsche’s - it was about buying a new car in what may be a quickly changing market.
And why is that Porsche's problem to absorb your uncertainty? You agreed to buy the car at a certain price, you can either follow through or back out and (hopefully) lose your deposit for dicking around.
The following 2 users liked this post by #1SomeGuy:
ElMills (03-13-2020), fueledbymetal (04-10-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 07:49 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD72
Where do you think the money for these services come from? It comes out of the gross margin of the car. There's no way service is gonna absorb the free maintenance, there's no way parts and service is gonna absorb PPF, and there's no way F&I is gonna give away Tire and Wheel. At the end of the day all these products have a "cost" associated with them and are going to end up falling back on the sales department and the gross margin of the car.
I understand that , but we all make compromises in life depending on the surrounding environment ... Current events are major in reference to economy, so a smart dealer , can take less of a profit to move a car rather than risk the car sitting around and they might take a loss on it
also , the actual cost to dealer of services I suggested are much less than retail price so it looks better to the customer and both parties will be happy
most of us are going to be affected financially by this in way or another, some more than others
I am not telling op to do that , just gave few suggestions that to me are a good compromise
Old 03-12-2020, 12:24 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 965 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
And why is that Porsche's problem to absorb your uncertainty?
Why is it United or American Airline's problem to make market adjustments when bookings drop off a cliff? Porsche makes "market adjustments" in their favor when they can, if the economy slows they'll need to get more aggressive or sell fewer cars.

That said, the Spyder should be fairly exempt from discounting so the dealer will probably just keep the deposit and sell the car to someone else. However, it doesn't hurt to ask for a better price when the car gets here, if they refuse you can always go to plan B.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
I understand that , but we all make compromises in life depending on the surrounding environment ... Current events are major in reference to economy, so a smart dealer , can take less of a profit to move a car rather than risk the car sitting around and they might take a loss on it
also , the actual cost to dealer of services I suggested are much less than retail price so it looks better to the customer and both parties will be happy
most of us are going to be affected financially by this in way or another, some more than others
I am not telling op to do that , just gave few suggestions that to me are a good compromise
So by your comments it would be implied that during good times and strong demand we should all line up and pay MSRP plus ADM?

I think a key point here is that the OP agreed and possibly papers to buy the car at an agreed to price otherwise the order with his spec would not have been entered into the system, I see that as a agreement to be honored by both parties!
JonnyD72 (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Why is it United or American Airline's problem to make market adjustments when bookings drop off a cliff? Porsche makes "market adjustments" in their favor when they can, if the economy slows they'll need to get more aggressive or sell fewer cars.

That said, the Spyder should be fairly exempt from discounting so the dealer will probably just keep the deposit and sell the car to someone else. However, it doesn't hurt to ask for a better price when the car gets here, if they refuse you can always go to plan B.
Seriously, you feel that after they build you a custom spec'd car and then deliver it 1/2 way around the world, that is the time to start "jamming" them for a better deal?!!! Anyone that does that is someone I would never do business with and IMHO deserves to be blacklisted from future transactions. What ever happened to honoring your word?
The following 4 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Deepbluejh (04-12-2020), ElMills (03-13-2020), JonnyD72 (03-12-2020), josephr25 (03-15-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 12:48 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Seriously, you feel that after they build you a custom spec'd car and then deliver it 1/2 way around the world, that is the time to start "jamming" them for a better deal?!!! Anyone that does that is someone I would never do business with and IMHO deserves to be blacklisted from future transactions. What ever happened to honoring your word?
It's just business and things have changed but I think you're more upset about this than the dealer would be. The OP is trying to make a responsible financial decision based on very unique economic circumstances. In a recession, he who panics first loses the least.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:57 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's just business and things have changed but I think you're more upset about this than the dealer would be. The OP is trying to make a responsible financial decision based on very unique economic circumstances. In a recession, he who panics first loses the least.
I disagree, not just business but part of a relationship, if you are that affected by the market you shouldn't be buying a car like this now anyway, if panic is your solution then get out early and get out clean, no last minute game playing!
Old 03-12-2020, 01:15 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I think in the next month or so you can walk into a Toyota or Ford dealership and get a crazy price on a generic Camry or F-150. Far fewer people will be buying in this environment, and dealers will be wanting to move the inventory as every day the car sits on the lot it costs them money. So, generic car/truck dealers will likely have incentive to deal. Porsche MAY be a bit different. Porsches are luxury items, not necessities (well, I think they are necessities), and most people who are considering a Porsche and want access to a GT car (the Spyder is a GT car I think - or close enough), will just bite the bullet and see through the current market. You won't see a lot full of GT4s and Spyders, so to an earlier poster's point, the OP's dealer will most likely move down his list of customers wanting a Spyder.

I'll say that when I bought my GT4 at MSRP, I was happy as I'd been on the list and there were many after me. I had bought several cars from the dealer. My dealer did say to me that he really hoped I wouldn't flip the car (which I had no intention of doing). He said I could make $20 grand easy on the car by flipping, and he could have as well by asking $20k above MSRP, but that's not how that particular dealer worked. My loyalty and fair dealing over time got me an early allocation on a GT4.
The following 5 users liked this post by GTorTT:
BoxsirGTS18 (03-12-2020), Brainofjjj (03-12-2020), Gatch (07-15-2020), helothere (03-16-2020), Westcoast (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 01:21 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I disagree, not just business but part of a relationship, if you are that affected by the market you shouldn't be buying a car like this now anyway, if panic is your solution then get out early and get out clean, no last minute game playing!
And if you had made a commitment to go on a cruise a few months ago would you use the same logic? Things change, the market adjusts, life goes on.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:40 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And if you had made a commitment to go on a cruise a few months ago would you use the same logic? Things change, the market adjusts, life goes on.
A cruise and a car are completely different things, your desire for the car (especially this kind) should have nothing to do with the market, unless as I hinted that you are over leveraging to buy it... cancelling a cruise given accepted protocols to prevent virus transmission is a prudent action.

Let's stay focused, if the OP feels he didn't negotiate a good deal that was his mistake, thinking that a virus outbreak causing a market downturn dictates a discount after the deal was agreed to is BS in my opinion.

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-14-2020 at 05:54 PM.
ElMills (03-13-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 01:55 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

I have a Spyder entering production soon. Paid full MRSP and some other BS fees (dealer car prep, etc - in Canada. I am thinking about cancelling or at least renegotiate the deal. The economic waters are changing. Porsche certainly had the high ground with more demand than allocations. Has that changed now?
Having read all the comments through today, my take is as follows:

If you feel you shouldn't purchase the car because the market now makes it untenable for you, cancel your order & let the dealer keep your deposit. Water under the bridge and you won't be worried that your purchase made your future life less certain.
If you still want the car but feel you should be able to get something due to market conditions, suck it up & accept your car. It's not the dealer's responsibility to make you feel better about your purchase. Their job is to provide to you the car at the agreed upon price. The little bit you might get back from renegotiating is a nit in the grand scheme of things (particularly on a $100K+ vehicle) & you'll have the car the you wanted.

MOO
The following 3 users liked this post by CaymanMatt:
helothere (03-16-2020), JonnyD72 (03-12-2020), Westcoast (03-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Time to renegotiate?