Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Time to renegotiate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 06:53 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Toothengineer
Cali
Thats a state, not a dealer.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:10 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Interesting, during a world wide pandemic and financial market slowdown, I can understand if you were taking about a necessity, like food, medicine and shelter, but a boutique sports car purchase hardly seems like a required item. I would think as soon as push came to shove if a person didn't have the financials for this type of purchase already in place the order should have been cancelled back in February, early March at the latest.

Some domestic manufacturers are offering deals and incentives to customers, but don't think this is standard practice for hi-end marques like Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc.
High end is relative. The Spyder is "only" in the $100k range, just like a lot of full-sized pickup trucks and SUVs. And if the DOW is at 10,000, unemployment is at 30%, and we are entering a depression, and you're still comfortable buying a Spyder you're a "braver" man than me. What does it mean to have "the financials in place"? Like cash under your mattress? And your whole portfolio under your mattress? Even if you have a couple of years worth of living expenses in money markets (as I do), you have to be pretty brave (cocky? confident? filthy rich? foolish? You pick the adjective) to still buy a expensive toy if we enter a depression. And no, walking away from a $2,500 deposit won't kill me, but it will really **** me off that I had to take the risk when the freaking dealer who probably makes $20M/year (like mine) and the most profitable car manufacturer on the planet won't accept that risk in this unprecedented time.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:32 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
High end is relative. The Spyder is "only" in the $100k range, just like a lot of full-sized pickup trucks and SUVs. And if the DOW is at 10,000, unemployment is at 30%, and we are entering a depression, and you're still comfortable buying a Spyder you're a "braver" man than me. What does it mean to have "the financials in place"? Like cash under your mattress? And your whole portfolio under your mattress? Even if you have a couple of years worth of living expenses in money markets (as I do), you have to be pretty brave (cocky? confident? filthy rich? foolish? You pick the adjective) to still buy a expensive toy if we enter a depression. And no, walking away from a $2,500 deposit won't kill me, but it will really **** me off that I had to take the risk when the freaking dealer who probably makes $20M/year (like mine) and the most profitable car manufacturer on the planet won't accept that risk in this unprecedented time.
Porsche will be in an interesting position because of all the Taycan and electric investments. Deliveries were supposed to start and will now be delayed on Taycan. Plus all other cars. There will no doubt be order cancellations due to finances and time of year. Not a good position for them. Will they offer incentives like North American brands? Maybe not, because of the brand image.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:39 PM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

If your dealer is the type to charge ADMs and get greedy when they can, then turnabout is fair play, and try to negotiate a lower price. If they are one of the good guys, and charge MSRP for high-demand cars, then I'd either back out (if my financial situation changed due to Covid-19) or go through with the purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schmed:
JPMD (04-14-2020), StudGarden (04-15-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:43 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I will proceed under the assumption that you are speaking in general with none of your comments directed at me specifically and I will do the same.

A truck and be used for a number of tasks to do work, earn an income and the like and you can buy one for far less than $100k, so the comparison is weak, a Porsche is simply not the same, it is a want and not a need, so yes I believe now more than any other time you better have the money on hand to buy such a toy and not be leveraging funds or borrowing money or worse yet hoping that the dealer or manufacturer will cut you slack and give you a break on the purchase price. Comfort is a relative thing, each of us have different levels of it and risk we are willing to live with, I don't believe that the current conditions will last for ever, but if I did I would decide my moves based on that and act accordingly. I have watched a economic area of sorts nearby, boom followed by bust all driven on market conditions, during the boom many there leverage everything for houses, cars, trucks boats, RV's and more, then when the market price for their raw product drops they fire sale everything they can to try and save themselves, soon the bailiffs are acting on foreclosure and taking stuff away from people who are so overextended that they simply can't make the payments let alone buy food. The per capita personal debt loads these days are unbelievable... precipitated by some very questionable choices.

With regards to that deposit I would hope that a smart dealer would see the benefit in returning a deposit in these difficult times, smile shake your hand and invite you back when times are better. If your dealer doesn't fit this definition maybe it is time to go elsewhere and support one who does?

On second thought, it may be a good idea to skip the hand shake!

Last edited by Westcoast; 04-13-2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: corrected Covid-19 protocols
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
CDACH (04-13-2020), Denny Swift (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 01:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Toothengineer
Cali
Not mine in Cali....
Old 04-14-2020, 01:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Interesting, during a world wide pandemic and financial market slowdown, I can understand if you were taking about a necessity, like food, medicine and shelter, but a boutique sports car purchase hardly seems like a required item. I would think as soon as push came to shove if a person didn't have the financials for this type of purchase already in place the order should have been cancelled back in February, early March at the latest.
Yup, I gave up my place on my dealer's list in early March. Nothing to do with money, everything to do with simply feeling like this year was probably a bad time to be putting a six figure weekend car in the garage when the world may be crumbling around my friends and neighbors, and I may potentially lose friends or family members to this disease. Just feels like bad form to me. I imagine that I may not be alone in that thinking, but I still don't think Porsche is going to have any trouble selling these cars. And I'm still in touch with my dealer just in case things take a miraculous turn for the positive.
The following 4 users liked this post by Archimedes:
blackholescion (04-14-2020), Denny Swift (04-14-2020), mdrobc1213 (07-24-2020), Westcoast (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 01:45 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

I just spoke to my local Melbourne Fl., dealer about their GT4 allocations this morning. He said they have them to order (unknown build date, of course). I asked about room to negotiate a discount and he didn't walk away. I think if you ask professionally and have already handed them a deposit they might very well be willing to knock a few dead presidents off...or dead royals
Old 04-14-2020, 01:55 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
I just spoke to my local Melbourne Fl., dealer about their GT4 allocations this morning. He said they have them to order (unknown build date, of course). I asked about room to negotiate a discount and he didn't walk away. I think if you ask professionally and have already handed them a deposit they might very well be willing to knock a few dead presidents off...or dead royals
that is a smart move on their behalf, they are adjusting to the current crisis
I am still surprised that some here still think that GT cars are MSRP only even if the whole world around is crumbling
Old 04-14-2020, 01:57 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
I would bet that there might be some room to negotiate, but delivery will be the question!

Oh, regarding the bolded, if referring to Canada, the only royal on our money is still very much alive.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:03 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

I have been following this thread with interest. There appear to be a few considerations beyond current market conditions:

1. Time to economic recovery. IMF evidence points to negative GDPs across most of the world into 2021, this includes Germany and USA.
2. It appears likely that COVID-19 may become endemic and continue to impose productivity constraints.
3. Delays in anti-virals and vaccines will further stall rapid recovery of global economies.

All luxury good will need to find their positions in the market. Porsches are generally priced for buyers sensitive to market conditions, unlike seven figure cars.

Porsche and dealers are savvy to these things and will have to make accommodations. We could look back at what happened to Porsche prices in 1999-2000 and 2008-2009.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 03:28 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
I have been following this thread with interest. There appear to be a few considerations beyond current market conditions:

1. Time to economic recovery. IMF evidence points to negative GDPs across most of the world into 2021, this includes Germany and USA.
2. It appears likely that COVID-19 may become endemic and continue to impose productivity constraints.
3. Delays in anti-virals and vaccines will further stall rapid recovery of global economies.

All luxury good will need to find their positions in the market. Porsches are generally priced for buyers sensitive to market conditions, unlike seven figure cars.

Porsche and dealers are savvy to these things and will have to make accommodations. We could look back at what happened to Porsche prices in 1999-2000 and 2008-2009.
i have a pretty pessimistic assessment of this situation. However a counter balancing factor is that Porsche will cut production to avoid a glut of unsold cars. Certainly right now the factories are outright closed. There will probably be reduced shifts once they reopen. My WAG is more cars will be available for build on consignment and fewer off the lot. But some specs and models may be more difficult to obtain as Porsche brings supply into balance with demand.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:06 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 456 Posts

Okay read all the posts...so what happened OP?
Old 06-06-2020, 07:27 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

European Delivery - scheduled for May was postponed by Porsche and then finally cancelled because of CV. Car then rerouted to Dealership. It is supposed to arrive at end of month.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:37 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
European Delivery - scheduled for May was postponed by Porsche and then finally cancelled because of CV. Car then rerouted to Dealership. It is supposed to arrive at end of month.
What was the outcome of your negotiations on price?

Quick Reply: Time to renegotiate?