Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Time to renegotiate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 04:45 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Time to renegotiate?

I have a Spyder entering production soon. Paid full MRSP and some other BS fees (dealer car prep, etc - in Canada. I am thinking about cancelling or at least renegotiate the deal. The economic waters are changing. Porsche certainly had the high ground with more demand than allocations. Has that changed now?
Old 03-11-2020, 05:25 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Paying MSRP seems fair given the car, and at the time you placed the order I'm sure you felt ok (maybe good) about MSRP, I doubt you really expected a discount to MSRP at the time on that particular car.. As for other fees, here in the U.S. you can't avoid tax, destination and dealer prep charges etc. - its a fact of life whether you are buying a Chevrolet or a Ford pickup.

So are you saying you want to get out of the deal because you are concerned about spending the money in this economy? Or are you suggesting that you now have leverage to go tell the dealer that you'll take the car, but at a 10-15% discount off of MSRP because circumstances have changed. Try saying that out loud and see how it sounds to you. Maybe the dealer will agree.....

The following users liked this post:
Gatch (07-15-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 05:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

And people get on dealers when they ask for an ADM when demand outpaces supply...
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
subshooter (03-12-2020), Westcoast (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 06:24 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

I wonder how a customer would react if demand went sky high and the dealer demanded a large increase, over the agreed MSRP selling price, before delivery.

Never mind......I know
Westcoast (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 06:40 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

With the fragile state of manufacturing (COVID-19) the supply / demand could go in either direction.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:49 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
I have a Spyder entering production soon. Paid full MRSP and some other BS fees (dealer car prep, etc - in Canada. I am thinking about cancelling or at least renegotiate the deal. The economic waters are changing. Porsche certainly had the high ground with more demand than allocations. Has that changed now?
It's a fair question. When the economy tanks luxury cars tend to get hammered as people hunker down and buy only essentials. I don't think the experts know what's going to happen so I certainly don't but it's wise to be a little cautious.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:12 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 591 Posts

since you agreed to MSRP, I will talk to them about some freebies like free maintenance, wheel and tire protection , may be cover the cost of PPF.. I think it will be a win for both parties.
AlexCeres (03-12-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 07:36 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
since you agreed to MSRP, I will talk to them about some freebies like free maintenance, wheel and tire protection , may be cover the cost of PPF.. I think it will be a win for both parties.
This seems like the most reasonable option. I think it’s a little too much to ask for a discount on one of the first North American custom specced Spyders. If you’re looking for a discount wait until they have an unsold Spyder sitting on the lot and lowball them then. I run a business and if someone did this to me I’d tell them to get lost and wouldn't deal with them in the future.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
This seems like the most reasonable option. I think it’s a little too much to ask for a discount on one of the first North American custom specced Spyders. If you’re looking for a discount wait until they have an unsold Spyder sitting on the lot and lowball them then. I run a business and if someone did this to me I’d tell them to get lost and wouldn't deal with them in the future.
That's still giving a discount. If I were a dealer, I wouldn't be discounting these cars just yet, not until I ran through my lists and then just spec'd and floored the car myself. You can always discount later. If someone on my list demanded a discount, I'd just move on to the next person on the list.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
JAhmed (03-13-2020), Sean in Texas (03-12-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 08:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

I personally think we both entered into the agreement in good faith, IMHO nothing has changed, to expect a change In that agreement at this late stage is unreasonable.
The following 5 users liked this post by Westcoast:
cweed (03-21-2020), Deepbluejh (04-12-2020), fueledbymetal (04-10-2020), Jim137a (03-12-2020), NFSF (03-17-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:00 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

You can try and ask for a small discount or some extra freebies thrown in. But, I agree with everyone else.
Probably not going to happen. If you pull out of the deal and your car is not a spec easy to sell.
They might want to take your deposit.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:28 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
I can appreciate this fully. The pendulum swings both ways. Porsche wants to ADM or mystery fee and undervalue trades on their customers relentlessly when times are good for them but they need to suffer the consequences when it goes the other way. They don’t call their customers with updates or exhibit respect for the purchase of an extremely expensive item (not saying this is always the case), they don’t seem to give a cak 99% of the time. They don’t value every customer though that’s for sure. When they were on their deathbed before they launched the Boxster and deployed Toyota I think it was a tad different. If they value their customers and don’t play games regardless of the economic climate I think both parties will be better for it and it will be a more sustainable mutual relationship.

So my answer to you is yes, jam it to them as they would you. If they decide to change their ways going forward then I might have a different stance on the matter.
Bob815 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:51 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
I can appreciate this fully. The pendulum swings both ways. Porsche wants to ADM or mystery fee and undervalue trades on their customers relentlessly when times are good for them but they need to suffer the consequences when it goes the other way. They don’t call their customers with updates or exhibit respect for the purchase of an extremely expensive item (not saying this is always the case), they don’t seem to give a cak 99% of the time. They don’t value every customer though that’s for sure. When they were on their deathbed before they launched the Boxster and deployed Toyota I think it was a tad different. If they value their customers and don’t play games regardless of the economic climate I think both parties will be better for it and it will be a more sustainable mutual relationship.

So my answer to you is yes, jam it to them as they would you. If they decide to change their ways going forward then I might have a different stance on the matter.
Interesting stand, not sure everyone would agree... I would say to the OP perhaps you should simply opt out and let someone who wants the car step up to the chance of owning one, you certainly won't be building a positive relationship with your dealer by "jamming" them at this stage.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:09 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Interesting stand, not sure everyone would agree... I would say to the OP perhaps you should simply opt out and let someone who wants the car step up to the chance of owning one, you certainly won't be building a positive relationship with your dealer by "jamming" them at this stage.
Juvenile behaviour really, but it comes down to who started it? Who jammed who first? Is it a positive relationship when the dealer charges the customer ADM and absurd admin fees and gives them Corolla value on their trade?

It’s quite an interesting phenomenon to see how the victims can become sympathizers. Despite it’s Swede origins it appears the Stockholm Syndrome extends to German automobile purchases.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:25 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford

Thanks - they didn’t mind quoting me $140,000 for a GT4 in 2015. They had one “traded back” in with less 1000 kilometres on it. Retail was less than $100,000. I noted that and they said that is the market. They inferred that the market for this car had changed. Sort of like Kevin’ Costner’s character in the film Draft Day, when negotiating a trade on draft day when he said to his fellow GM “We are in a lot different world than we were 5 seconds ago”. I have purchased lots of new and used cars over a lifetime and Porsche was the first I bought at MRSP - they told me they don’t negotiate on list price.

To be clear I want to buy the car, I want to keep the economy going because if we all stop we will be in a recession. That is not my intent but if in a few months this car depreciates significantly wouldn’t that make me a fool to have paid full sticker, given what’s going on - to at least inquire. Price is almost always determined by supply and demand. The title of the thread wasn’t a statement but rather a question. Thanks to those who responded. I appreciate all perspectives.

Quick Reply: Time to renegotiate?