Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 01:29 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Sausage416
i was running the opf delete with stock muffler ,before the cargraphic race muffler arrived. I suspect most will be happy with an opf delete and a valve controller.
Great, but now that you have the muffler done , do you think that worth it?

​​​​​​I used to have the 981 Spyder and that was one of the best sounding Porsche that I've heard (besides GT3). Some people doesn't like the pops and bangs that the 981 had and although I really enjoyed them and used to "play" withtwith throttle all the time to hear them, nowdays I think
that I can be happy without them but as per sound and intensity I'm aiming to leave the 718 Spyder sounding equally exciting or better than the 981, I need to be amazed with a proper 4.0 growl.

To achieve this Cargraphics is a good option but I also want to wait the akra system and maybe Capristo... other brands aren't really good options IMHO..

So , if you were looking something similar , are you completely satisfy with sound or do you think that there's even more room for improvement, maybe waiting Akrapovic kit?
I know everything is very subjective , but if you agree that the benchmark in sound was the 981 Spyder then probably I would conclude the same you did with your mod

​​​
Old 08-14-2020, 01:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I was thinking of this thread when I was lying in bed at 11:30 last night with the windows open on a beautiful, unusually warm Monterey evening, when I began to hear the sing song sound of those FuelRun tards from LA that came up again this year for Car Week (even though it's not happening) and proceeded to just run up and down Highway 1 for 20-30 minutes with their race exhausts blaring. Though the highway is about 1.5 miles away from me, I felt like I was sitting on the front straight at Laguna at an endurance race. And they were nice enough to pound downshift after downshift off their rev limiters so we could enjoy every BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP minute of their awesomeness.
The following users liked this post:
TomTarzian (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 02:00 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I was thinking of this thread when I was lying in bed at 11:30 last night with the windows open on a beautiful, unusually warm Monterey evening, when I began to hear the sing song sound of those FuelRun tards from LA that came up again this year for Car Week (even though it's not happening) and proceeded to just run up and down Highway 1 for 20-30 minutes with their race exhausts blaring. Though the highway is about 1.5 miles away from me, I felt like I was sitting on the front straight at Laguna at an endurance race. And they were nice enough to pound downshift after downshift off their rev limiters so we could enjoy every BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP minute of their awesomeness.
Sounds so very glorious. My wife would've hated it, though. ;-(

God bless,
TT
Old 08-14-2020, 02:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Sounds so very glorious. My wife would've hated it, though. ;-(

God bless,
TT
Oh I hate it too. My comment was being sarcastic. Social media brought the Instagram Car Bro crowd to Monterey last year for Car Week and they behaved as expected. Was hoping they weren't coming this year. I was wrong. Can't wait for tonight...
Old 08-14-2020, 03:22 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Oh I hate it too. My comment was being sarcastic. Social media brought the Instagram Car Bro crowd to Monterey last year for Car Week and they behaved as expected. Was hoping they weren't coming this year. I was wrong. Can't wait for tonight...
Reminds me of what we can hear from our house every Friday night during a normal--Covid free--summer: racing at the dirt track oval a few miles away. I confess to liking it.

God bless,
TT
Old 08-14-2020, 04:13 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

i was running the opf delete with stock muffler ,before the cargraphic race muffler arrived. I suspect most will be happy with an opf delete and a valve controller.
Can you please share with us the difference between 1. Stock Vs 2. Stock with valves always open Vs 3. Stock with valves always open + OPF deletes Vs 4. Race exhaust + OPF deletes?
thanks a million!
Old 08-14-2020, 04:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Reminds me of what we can hear from our house every Friday night during a normal--Covid free--summer: racing at the dirt track oval a few miles away. I confess to liking it.

God bless,
TT
Oh I love the sound (and smells) of the racetrack. Just not at midnight. And I much prefer the sound of race cars than the awful noisemakers these guys have on their cars.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:59 PM
metalone
Racer

Well that's why my benchmark is the standard 981 Spyder, not the ricers sounds / race headers.

I tend to think that getting rid the OPF/GPF would be enough because that's the big issue, but also something is telling me that an well engineered exhaust would also be needed to work in conjunction... always thinking in backroads pleasure no in the city anyway

Also important is that with the valves closed you can go around the neighborhood quietly. So I considering this thread not the same of the others..
Old 08-14-2020, 05:35 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Oh I love the sound (and smells) of the racetrack. Just not at midnight. And I much prefer the sound of race cars than the awful noisemakers these guys have on their cars.
I'm beginning to be happy I can't hear those, Archimedes. So sorry you can!

God bless,
TT
Old 08-14-2020, 06:51 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
Great, but now that you have the muffler done , do you think that worth it?

​​​​​​I used to have the 981 Spyder and that was one of the best sounding Porsche that I've heard (besides GT3). Some people doesn't like the pops and bangs that the 981 had and although I really enjoyed them and used to "play" withtwith throttle all the time to hear them, nowdays I think
that I can be happy without them but as per sound and intensity I'm aiming to leave the 718 Spyder sounding equally exciting or better than the 981, I need to be amazed with a proper 4.0 growl.

To achieve this Cargraphics is a good option but I also want to wait the akra system and maybe Capristo... other brands aren't really good options IMHO..

So , if you were looking something similar , are you completely satisfy with sound or do you think that there's even more room for improvement, maybe waiting Akrapovic kit?
I know everything is very subjective , but if you agree that the benchmark in sound was the 981 Spyder then probably I would conclude the same you did with your mod

​​​
pops and bangs aside. The 981 will sound better and louder than a 718 with only opf delete. With opf delete and cargraphic it’s now louder ( not by much ) and in my opinion sounds Better than the 981. It has a gt3 ish tone which I prefer , no “ brag brap “ at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sausage416:
Foggy916 (08-14-2020), metalone (08-15-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 08:55 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

pops and bangs aside. The 981 will sound better and louder than a 718 with only opf delete. With opf delete and cargraphic it’s now louder ( not by much ) and in my opinion sounds Better than the 981. It has a gt3 ish tone which I prefer , no “ brag brap “ at all.
Are you keeping the stock header and cat? The 982 has the deep bass tone in stock form. After the mods (valves open + GPF-delete + Exhaust), do you still have that bass? My choice would be these mods as well.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:20 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

Yes ,the tone is deep and angrier ,high pitch top end.
metalone (08-15-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 10:37 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

What about Cat and Header? Are you running stock? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:38 AM
metalone
Racer

Lovely!, thank you!!... I think you made a good choice...

Now I think that a bunch of new videos are coming soon with cargraphicts exhausts, Janko for sure, and I have the feeling that The Car Guys may opt for Cargraphicts too... I hope Akrapovic doesn't delay their release too much to have at least one more sound comparison to confirm the best one...
Old 08-15-2020, 01:33 AM
RazzleDazzle
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

Delivery day start up and drive by. @Soul Performance over axle pipes are being delivered next week, so curious to hear difference before deciding on the next step, if any.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6076.mov (944.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_6089.mov (1.61 MB, 50 views)
alexk79 (08-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point