Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 01:04 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Testing is almost complete! We at Fabspeed are very excited for the release of our full GT4 platform. Take a listen to our GPF delete pipes along with our race system, sounds absolutely incredible and the throttle response is
GPF + Competition Exhaust System

it would be more useful to get the sound from inside the cabin as this is usually the place where owners are seated
What is your subjective assessment of Drone below 4000rpms with this set up?
Old 08-20-2020, 01:34 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMo
I installed JCR titanium non-resonated race exhaust on my Spyder last week and I kept the valves always open.
FYI, I unplugged the valves (always open) of the stock exhaust in my first week of ownership and found that it really helped under 4000rpms with a very subtle drone between 2000 and 2600rpms.

Here is my feedback after few hundred miles of mountain roads and some highway.
1. Build quality: amazing!!! Better than all previous exhaust brands I had (German and US made ones).
2. Installation: straightforward and super easy. It took my mechanic 1h10min all in.
3. Black tips: beautiful and mean looking.
4. Drone: comparable to stock exhaust with valves open between 2000 and 2600 rpms.
4. Performance: I did’t dyno it but I feel a slight improvement in torque and throttle response in the Low and mid/range.
5. Sound:
a. At start up: fantastic 5/5!! Very racy and exotic bark when you turn the key on.
b. Idle sounds deep and racy 4/5 vs stock 1/5.
c. Between 2000-4000 rpms: the sound increase is not significant vs stock with valves always open. I’ll rate it 3/5 vs stock 1/5.
d. Above 4000 rpms: It gets better with moderate high pitch race sound. I’ll rate it 3/5 vs stock 1/5.
e. Downshifts: slight improvement. I’ll rate it 2/5 vs stock 1/5.
All in all, amazing build quality, straightforward installation, drone comparable to stock, more sophisticated tone and sound quality with a moderate volume increase.
This system is for those who focus on sound quality rather than volume. If you’re looking for a very loud exhaust you need to add the OPF delete.

below stock vs JCR

Great feedback! As mentioned, this is about all that is possible in terms of extracting sound from a car installed with factory headers and cats, once you add OPF deletes & / or our Inconel Race Manifolds (coming very soon) the sound is elevated pretty substantially.

Originally Posted by tdlondon
Thank you Jonny for the clarification. I hadn’t looked at it from this perspective. I had also inquired with Supersprint and their over axle pipes were/are being sold in the US for around $1,000 in SS, only thing is their lead time is months away. So it felt like for Akrapovic to be at $1800 in Titanium it wasn’t crazy. Especially if they produce in Eastern Europe. Their rear silencer for the 718 GT4 in stainless is priced similar to Soul’s or Fabspeed’s. I could only think they had different cost structures, overheads and maybe product mix that allows for subsidizing some parts, especially like these link pipes, which are regarded as being almost a silver bullet for the not so interesting sound of this car as stock.
In a layman’s perspective, as probably more than half of the prospective buyers, we can only see a combination of reputation, actual testimonials, when available, and price. I haven’t had the chance of testing T304, Titanium and Inconel on the same car to tell the difference of which material sounds best,et alone same material from different manufacturers.
The YouTube videos give an idea of the sound difference to stock, but usually sound all the same, with different shades of loud and louder.

So, yes to your point, it becomes a marketing and repeat customers play. I’ve talked to people who had Fabspeed and loved it and others who didn’t like it. Same with Akrapovic. Some love the tone, others think it’s too quiet. I never met anyone who had Soul, JCR, Cargraphics or Supersprint in person, only through rennlist or Facebook.
it sucks because it becomes a shot in the dark. One makes an at least 2 grand investment and then you pray that you will like it when it’s installed and you turn the engine on and accelerate to 8000 rpm the first time.
It's always difficult / impossible to put sound across sound in a video accurately but I would say that 99% of our customers feel that the sound delivered from our products exceeds expectations once installed and i've lost count of the number of people who've told me that it sounds so much better in reality. It's a tricky one because the parts aren't cheap and no one wants to buy things twice, we do our best in the development phase to make sure that anyone purchasing our product will feel truly satisfied with the results

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that a resonated but non-silenced version?
DocMo went with our Titanium Valved (Non Silenced) Race Pipe - This I believe extracts the best possible sound from the car with OPF's installed whilst retaining valve functionality in a light weight package

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 08-20-2020, 01:42 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
DocMo went with our Titanium Valved (Non Silenced) Race Pipe - This I believe extracts the best possible sound from the car with OPF's installed whilst retaining valve functionality in a light weight package JC
Thanks for the confirmation JC!

Can you elaborate as to the function of this part of the system?

Old 08-20-2020, 01:49 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by mr gregash
I had the same inquiry. Akrapovic confirmed the OAPs fit with the stock exhaust. I followed up asking if there are different versions for US v Euro cars and waiting on that.
Also, as for price, I have gotten a quote as low as $1695 for these which is cheaper than anything else I’ve seen from SOUL, Cargraphic, or Fabspeed. Looks like th Supersprint SS ones might be a bit cheaper though.
Just to confirm because there are a few different acronyms floating around. So Akrapovic has confirmed that their “Link Pipe Set L-PO/T/13”, which you refer to as an OAP (Over Axle Pipe) will work with the stock Porsche exhaust system with both OPF and non-OPF cars??? Non-OPF cars will not need an ECU remap.

So for my North American GT4 I can simply plug and play install the Akra Link Pipe (OAP) right out of the box into my stock Porsche system. If so, that’s great news and I might order and do this over the winter!!!
Old 08-20-2020, 02:31 PM
DocMo
Racer

Great feedback! As mentioned, this is about all that is possible in terms of extracting sound from a car installed with factory headers and cats, once you add OPF deletes & / or our Inconel Race Manifolds (coming very soon) the sound is elevated pretty substantially.

It's always difficult / impossible to put sound across sound in a video accurately but I would say that 99% of our customers feel that the sound delivered from our products exceeds expectations once installed and i've lost count of the number of people who've told me that it sounds so much better in reality. It's a tricky one because the parts aren't cheap and no one wants to buy things twice, we do our best in the development phase to make sure that anyone purchasing our product will feel truly satisfied with the results

DocMo went with our Titanium Valved (Non Silenced) Race Pipe - This I believe extracts the best possible sound from the car with OPF's installed whilst retaining valve functionality in a light weight package

JC
I think it is for those who want a racy yet classy sound that attracts attention due to the tone and not to the volume. By the way my Porsche head technician loved the sound and asked me about the manufacturer.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:01 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

1/4 wave resonator tube which is developed to attenuate drone at the low rpm range / with valves closed and also tunes the sound profile to ensure we achieve the tone we're after. Its a bit of a black art but they work fantastically well when correct

I think it is for those who want a racy yet classy sound that attracts attention due to the tone and not to the volume. By the way my Porsche head technician loved the sound and asked me about the manufacturer.
Thanks for the compliments

JC
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 03:20 PM
DocMo
Racer

1/4 wave resonator tube which is developed to attenuate drone at the low rpm range / with valves closed and also tunes the sound profile to ensure we achieve the tone we're after. Its a bit of a black art but they work fantastically well when correct

JC
You’re welcome but I’d have appreciated shorter delivery time. I know COVID and summer didn’t help.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:09 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that a resonated but non-silenced version?

You mentioned black tips, pictures please!
It is non-resonated, non-silenced. Drone is similar to stock with valves open.
I will make a good pic of the tips over the weekend.
Thanks!

1/4 wave resonator tube which is developed to attenuate drone at the low rpm range / with valves closed and also tunes the sound profile to ensure we achieve the tone we're after. Its a bit of a black art but they work fantastically well when correct.

JC
Ahhh yes, just what the doctor ordered...

Last edited by Westcoast; 08-20-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:02 PM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

Guys today I installed the cargraphic valve control unit. I just came back from a test drive and I must say I’m disappointed. I open the valves and all I hear between 2k to around 4k is what appear to be drone. A rather loud low frequency WOOOOO sound that is deep. It seems that the stock muffler is just compromised and PSE programming is correct to keep the valves closed below 5k rpm.

Another observation I had unrelated to the valve control is that with PSE and 5th gear at 4k rpm, I hear the same WOOO sound and it’s pretty annoying to me.

At this point I think I’m just giving up throwing money at this. I think I’ll be patient for a while to find out what the fundamental problem is with this car. Maybe the OPFs are not the issue... maybe I need to replace the muffler because actually at 5k rpm when there is no drone I do think the car is loud enough and sounds good. I just want a drone-free car.
Croc999 (08-25-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 08:29 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

Opf delete and cargraphic xpipe ,zero drone with oem valve programming.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:34 PM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Sausage416
Opf delete and cargraphic xpipe ,zero drone with oem valve programming.
Is this something you have? Are you happy with the sound compared to stock?
Old 08-20-2020, 11:20 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,112 Likes on 548 Posts

Yes, a drone free opened up sound would be great. I would like to see someone make a single flow, nonvalved, x-pipe free flow muffler with 1/4 wave resonating tubes to cancel out the drone. This whole valved exhaust thing is meant to meet European sound requirements. We don't live in Europe. Our stuff does not have to be that quite. When the OEM exhaust valves are closed, you have a skinny restrictive exhaust. When the valves are open, most exhausts, OEM or aftermarket, are just a straight pipe out with few of the gases being muffled.

Would be interested to see if an OPF delete pipe could be made with one output pipe that has a resonator where the OPF filter used to reside. Don't see the purpose of the double flange and dual exhaust pathways. Why not just do one pathway totally right without any compromises? After the resonator from the OPF exhaust tubing then bank 90 degrees and flow up into an x-pipe muffler above the diffuser. All the gases would pass through this, mix in the x-pipe, and could be tuned to reduce drone and resonance. Then upon exit of the muffler the exhaust gases would flow out their respective tail pipes. Just before the muffler entrances a couple of 1/4 wave resonator tubes could be added to further tune out any drone. I believe this type of setup would be relatively quiet when driven on partial throttle, yet come to life at WOT. Their would not be any 90 degree pipe splices or excess tubing involved. There would be no baffles, but multiple opportunities to attenuate and tune the character of the exhaust note on this completely free flowing exhaust.

In short, something of a cross from what JCR already has and what I believe is coming from Soul. I don't want loud, but rather a well refined, clean, and exotic flat-6 sound that makes you want to rev to redline every chance you get. My current Cayman S just has sport headers from Cargraphics and the stock muffler. Could never buy a new muffler cause they all seemed to have some form of drone. Car sounds great especially at the track and I even get compliments on its sound.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 08-20-2020 at 11:23 PM.
metalone (09-26-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 03:59 AM
DocMo
Racer

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Yes, a drone free opened up sound would be great. I would like to see someone make a single flow, nonvalved, x-pipe free flow muffler with 1/4 wave resonating tubes to cancel out the drone. This whole valved exhaust thing is meant to meet European sound requirements. We don't live in Europe. Our stuff does not have to be that quite. When the OEM exhaust valves are closed, you have a skinny restrictive exhaust. When the valves are open, most exhausts, OEM or aftermarket, are just a straight pipe out with few of the gases being muffled.

Would be interested to see if an OPF delete pipe could be made with one output pipe that has a resonator where the OPF filter used to reside. Don't see the purpose of the double flange and dual exhaust pathways. Why not just do one pathway totally right without any compromises? After the resonator from the OPF exhaust tubing then bank 90 degrees and flow up into an x-pipe muffler above the diffuser. All the gases would pass through this, mix in the x-pipe, and could be tuned to reduce drone and resonance. Then upon exit of the muffler the exhaust gases would flow out their respective tail pipes. Just before the muffler entrances a couple of 1/4 wave resonator tubes could be added to further tune out any drone. I believe this type of setup would be relatively quiet when driven on partial throttle, yet come to life at WOT. Their would not be any 90 degree pipe splices or excess tubing involved. There would be no baffles, but multiple opportunities to attenuate and tune the character of the exhaust note on this completely free flowing exhaust.

In short, something of a cross from what JCR already has and what I believe is coming from Soul. I don't want loud, but rather a well refined, clean, and exotic flat-6 sound that makes you want to rev to redline every chance you get. My current Cayman S just has sport headers from Cargraphics and the stock muffler. Could never buy a new muffler cause they all seemed to have some form of drone. Car sounds great especially at the track and I even get compliments on its sound.
Great thinking and fully agree with you. My guess is that such a smart and effective solution both from cost and results perspective will not make aftermarket exhaust manufacturers very happy. Most of them seem to try to have 3 to 5 “half baked options” to optimize sales rather than one solid and well thought of solution. I think Soul is the exception at this stage.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:37 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great thinking and fully agree with you. My guess is that such a smart and effective solution both from cost and results perspective will not make aftermarket exhaust manufacturers very happy. Most of them seem to try to have 3 to 5 “half baked options” to optimize sales rather than one solid and well thought of solution. I think Soul is the exception at this stage.
Things take time..

We’re currently building and finalising our non valved race pipes which will be available in silenced and non silenced form.

Two versions of Race manifolds

Three versions of OPF deletes

To add to our two versions of valved rear silencer replacement and two options of tips

There is no ‘one solution’ as you have found. You’re unsatisfied with the level of sound with your rear silenced replacement where as many many customers of ours already are absolutely over the moon with it and wouldn’t wish for anything more.

Same goes for our 991 GT model offerings, over 1000 customers running one of almost 40 different exhaust configurations we offer from a simple and subtle centre silencer replacement to a full manifold replacement with a non silenced race pipe. A 120dB flame throwing insane collection of parts.

This is why from the start we have and will continue to offer the largest and most comprehensive range of products to allow owners, with our guidance, to select the best possible solution for them.

JC
The following 3 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
Croc999 (08-23-2020), kj71109 (08-21-2020), Knutsm01 (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 10:14 AM
kj71109
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 66 Posts

Things take time..

We’re currently building and finalising our non valved race pipes which will be available in silenced and non silenced form.

Two versions of Race manifolds

Three versions of OPF deletes

To add to our two versions of valved rear silencer replacement and two options of tips

There is no ‘one solution’ as you have found. You’re unsatisfied with the level of sound with your rear silenced replacement where as many many customers of ours already are absolutely over the moon with it and wouldn’t wish for anything more.

Same goes for our 991 GT model offerings, over 1000 customers running one of almost 40 different exhaust configurations we offer from a simple and subtle centre silencer replacement to a full manifold replacement with a non silenced race pipe. A 120dB flame throwing insane collection of parts.

This is why from the start we have and will continue to offer the largest and most comprehensive range of products to allow owners, with our guidance, to select the best possible solution for them.

JC
This for me please! So excited!!

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point