Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 08:11 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Can’t wait to see the GT4 RS vs ZO6 comparison.

At least I know Chevy will sell me one when Porsche says no because I am not a VIP 😳
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (08-29-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 08:33 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
Can’t wait to see the GT4 RS vs ZO6 comparison.

At least I know Chevy will sell me one when Porsche says no because I am not a VIP 😳
The C8 Z06 will probably be quicker due to extra power, but I'm confident the GT4 RS will be an awesome performer. If they give it Michelin Sport Cup 2 R tires that are similar to Corvette-spec Cup 2 tires, PDK-S gearing, less weight, substantially more power, and a higher redline, it will be a damn fast and fun car. It sounds a bit higher revving than the regular GT4 based on the videos I've seen, maybe an 8400 RPM redline. The GT4 RS is looking the part too.

Haven't even taken delivery of my Spyder and am getting tempted by the next shiny thing...

A Python Green GT4 RS would be sweet.

Last edited by wizee; 08-28-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:40 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

A few somewhat confused comments previous posts, especially about the front downforce adJustments which were never visible, it's a slit in the inside of the front wheel well with a panel which can be removed. Anyway,

the really novel thing here, something we have never seen in a GT product as far as I can tell... Is the fact we're going to have inside the cabin, air induction system from the rear quarter windows directly into the engine. This is just like on the Gt4 ClubSport... The question is what this is going to do to the interior trunk, will it delete that space entirely? will it affect rear vision, and most interestingly will it change the sound inside the car like it does on the GT4 club sport.

Everything else on this car is something we have seen before and a GT product... but This is the first time ever we have inside the cabin ram air induction. Also Noticed that compared to previous prototypes the vents in the rear quarter panelActually extend outwards and scoop the air, as supposed flush gills with the window like on prototypes from previous months.. we had heard they were having some issues with that system so maybe it had to do with insufficient air intake so now they have noticeably enlarged and extended these vents.

Pity about the center locks but looks like this could have a weissach package optional mag Motorsports wheels like on gt3RS.

Serious machine. Pity the sound is so terribly muted compared to 981 era.. damn PARTICLE FILTER!!!

Last edited by CAlexio; 08-28-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:45 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,766 Likes on 884 Posts

Closer to 500hp or closer to 415hp?
Old 08-28-2020, 09:15 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
About 450 I would guess
Old 08-28-2020, 09:36 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
A few somewhat confused comments previous posts, especially about the front downforce adJustments which were never visible, it's a slit in the inside of the front wheel well with a panel which can be removed. Anyway,

the really novel thing here, something we have never seen in a GT product as far as I can tell... Is the fact we're going to have inside the cabin, air induction system from the rear quarter windows directly into the engine. This is just like on the Gt4 ClubSport... The question is what this is going to do to the interior trunk, will it delete that space entirely? will it affect rear vision, and most interestingly will it change the sound inside the car like it does on the GT4 club sport.

Everything else on this car is something we have seen before and a GT product... but This is the first time ever we have inside the cabin ram air induction. Also Noticed that compared to previous prototypes the vents in the rear quarter panelActually extend outwards and scoop the air, as supposed flush gills with the window like on prototypes from previous months.. we had heard they were having some issues with that system so maybe it had to do with insufficient air intake so now they have noticeably enlarged and extended these vents.

Pity about the center locks but looks like this could have a weissach package optional mag Motorsports wheels like on gt3RS.

Serious machine. Pity the sound is so terribly muted compared to 981 era.. damn PARTICLE FILTER!!!
Go to 11:30 and AP talks about it.
AlexCeres (08-29-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 09:38 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

we need to add this as a poll
my vote
closer to 500 than 415

p.s. this is the most heavily viewed thread in this forum, except for the dealer allocation tracker thread, in the last 20 pages
PAG has to love it and needs to build a beast

Last edited by JSF101; 08-28-2020 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 08-28-2020, 10:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Strange that the test mule has those PCCBs, given how bad they are under track conditions. Maybe they just don’t want brake dust on the car...

Last edited by Archimedes; 08-28-2020 at 10:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
n4v4nod (08-30-2020), pcar-yvr (08-29-2020), Snowy999 (08-29-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 10:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
About 450 I would guess
Originally Posted by JSF101
we need to add this as a poll
my vote
closer to 500 than 415

p.s. this is the most heavily viewed thread in this forum, except for the dealer allocation tracker thread, in the last 20 pages
PAG has to love it and needs to build a beast
Porsche is playing everyone like a violin with their HP marketing games. There's a recent thread here where a shop dyno-ed a "420hp" 718 GT4 at HIGHER HP than "475hp" 991.1 GT3 at EVERY rpm. Too lazy to look up the link.

It boggles my mind why everyone is getting so worked up about this GT4 RS hard core track car (and good for pretty much nothing else) with a grotesque wing, centerlocks, and interior pipes coming out of windows. Add it to your 50-car collection and bubble wrap it, fine, I get it. But hard core race cars up to and including Clubsports and Cup cars are dime a dozen these days. What's so special about this one apart from being the "latest and greatest"?

Last edited by hf1; 08-28-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:54 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

What's so special about this one apart from being the "latest and greatest"?[/quote]

IMHO:
1. You can drive to, in, and from the track
2. Some people think that new 911's are not raw enough, too big, too electronic, exception perhaps to GT cars
3. No 992 GT cars yet

However, latest and greatest may play a role to many. To each their own
Old 08-28-2020, 11:02 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Here are the dyno charts. So how much HP does a Porsche really have?

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post16865670

Old 08-28-2020, 11:27 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hf1
Porsche is playing everyone like a violin with their HP marketing games. There's a recent thread here where a shop dyno-ed a "420hp" 718 GT4 at HIGHER HP than "475hp" 991.1 GT3 at EVERY rpm. Too lazy to look up the link.

It boggles my mind why everyone is getting so worked up about this GT4 RS hard core track car (and good for pretty much nothing else) with a grotesque wing, centerlocks, and interior pipes coming out of windows. Add it to your 50-car collection and bubble wrap it, fine, I get it. But hard core race cars up to and including Clubsports and Cup cars are dime a dozen these days. What's so special about this one apart from being the "latest and greatest"?
Because they can be enjoyed regularly regardless of the setting.

For me, not only are the greater capabilities enjoyable but they also provide a wider margin of safety when I am exploring them in the hill country.

Allows me to be more foolish at speed and not kill myself.

Oh, I will be at the track tomorrow! Will post pictures here.

Last edited by dmk2; 08-28-2020 at 11:32 PM.
AlexCeres (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 01:53 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Agree, the side window intakes are what I find the most interesting. I believe on the clubsport the intake doesn't technically increase the power rating of the engine but it does serve to reduce aits (same same perhaps). My totally uneducated hypothesis is the redesign of the front bumper to include the air curtain vents ahead of the front wheels is directing hot post radiator air to the side intakes turning them into a hot air intake. The GT3rs never got them and the GT2rs with similar air curtain vents in the front bumper might not see any issues since the side intakes are much higher and anyway feed the intercoolers not the engine. I'm guessing the side intakes are less an issue of increasing flow (they are much smaller than the existing side intakes) and more about getting them out of the post rad hot air flow created by the new aero. Whatever the case, I think this is awesome, I hope they find a way to implement it that doesn't sacrifice the trunk.... and can fit a 4.5l 981
RolloGigolo (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 03:10 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

Originally Posted by br911
What's so special about this one apart from being the "latest and greatest"?
IMHO:
2. Some people think that new 911's are not raw enough, too big, too electronic, exception perhaps to GT cars
3. No 992 GT cars yet

However, latest and greatest may play a role to many. To each their own[/quote]

Damn... he answered everything I wanted to say. I can only add that if you drive a 718 GT4 Clubsport you will be mesmerized.. and your only wish would be that you could drive it home from the track too.

VOILA... !!! GT4RS.
lamacan (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 05:25 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

IMHO:
3. No 992 GT cars yet

However, latest and greatest may play a role to many. To each their own
Damn... he answered everything I wanted to say. I can only add that if you drive a 718 GT4 Clubsport you will be mesmerized.. and your only wish would be that you could drive it home from the track too.

VOILA... !!! GT4RS.[/QUOTE]

How true. I just spent two days training in a GT4 Clubsport at Spa. The damn thing is sooo addictive. And it’s not the speed that grabs you (it’s actually quite slow in straight line), its, as you personally know, the braking and the corner speed. As a result, it’s around 8-10 seconds faster around Spa than a GT4. I want the GT4 RS to be muuuch closer to the GT4 Clubsport ethos than GT4.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS