Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 03:41 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
For sure most don't use the potential of the car.

While we need to qualify where his boring comment comes from, for me things getting boring are a) just looking for something different b don't like a particular thing about a car c) not fun on the street

I track and that's where you really enjoy these GT cars. Not sure what street your are wringing out the performance of a 3RS. Whereas my air cooled , so much Street fun at whatever speed.

I'm in the camp of not understanding what people with Mclarens nd such are doing on the street, sure there's a small driving experience to be had that's different from other cars...but really getting the performance of the car, not on the street.

All of my cars have been tracked on Sebring, Homestead , Palm Beach and some at Daytona. All are outstanding on track for different reasons. GT4's are the momentum cars of the GT world. I have routinely passed less well driven GT3's on track in my 16 GT4.

I have a factory race car for the track at this point and most GT cars are boring on the street unless you have nothing to lose by going to jail. My 16 GT4 was far more engaging on the street than any GT3 or RS I have owned. There is no correct answer, only opinions expressed that are based on fact as opposed to fiction or fantasy. These are my opinions. They are based on facts .

Agreed on 993 as I have the same feeling each time I drive mine.

I have not yet driven a 4RS. I hope mine arrives in late August. It too will likely be boring on the streets of South Florida but given what it is and that is the first and the last of its kind it will be special by definition. There will be no more ICE GT4 RS's when this one is gone. That can not be said about the GT3 family, at least not yet.

Finally, as to ultimate design discussions, the current RSR has a Cayman drive train setup.

Hmm...

Cheers

The following 5 users liked this post by IPSA:
daaa nope (06-28-2022), Diablo Dude (06-23-2022), Mr. Adair (06-28-2022), porscheflat6 (06-23-2022), SToronto (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 05:15 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
All of my cars have been tracked on Sebring, Homestead , Palm Beach and some at Daytona. All are outstanding on track for different reasons. GT4's are the momentum cars of the GT world. I have routinely passed less well driven GT3's on track in my 16 GT4.

I have a factory race car for the track at this point and most GT cars are boring on the street unless you have nothing to lose by going to jail. My 16 GT4 was far more engaging on the street than any GT3 or RS I have owned. There is no correct answer, only opinions expressed that are based on fact as opposed to fiction or fantasy. These are my opinions. They are based on facts .

Agreed on 993 as I have the same feeling each time I drive mine.

I have not yet driven a 4RS. I hope mine arrives in late August. It too will likely be boring on the streets of South Florida but given what it is and that is the first and the last of its kind it will be special by definition. There will be no more ICE GT4 RS's when this one is gone. That can not be said about the GT3 family, at least not yet.

Finally, as to ultimate design discussions, the current RSR has a Cayman drive train setup.

Hmm...

Cheers
Exactly my point about using GT cars on the street. I had a 991,2 GT3 PDK, rarely took it out on the street. Just no fun after 20 minutes of banging PDK shifts to 120 km/h or so on the highway, and that happens very quickly.

GT4 is phenomenal platform for a number of reasons, great on track, just lacking power for fast tracks that also have fast straights. The 981 was great on street and track. 718 Spyder and GT4 are also great on both (in both manual and PDK).

Now to the 992 GT3. I’ve been driving my manual Touring in Switzerland and Germany, about 1200 km now. Just awesome. I went manual because I want to enjoy it more on the street and will primarily use a PDK GT4 on track. I’m so glad with my Touring and manual choices.

I would imagine the 4RS will be like the PDK GT3 on the street, why wouldn’t it with the same albeit slightly lesser power plant. The only saving grace on the street might be the smaller cabin (smaller car size FEEL).
Old 06-23-2022, 05:22 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Not sure if I posted these here…if you’ve seen before….close your eyes.

Saw 7 others in a finished state parked next to each other, waiting for whatever. Couldn’t take pics of these ones as not allowed. Some were gone by the time we walked by that area again.

Saw the engine marriage completed on one, along with a C2S, 911 Turbo and a Boxster of some sort. There were other 4RS going down the line. So they are being actively produced.

Last edited by SToronto; 06-23-2022 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:38 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
That's why 1/2 mile events exist for that crowd
But yeah...I agree with you. You really have to take it to a track and experience the capabilities of these cars.
Haha….even then. Here we have street racing/stunting laws. Punching it through that distance will appear like stunting.

We didn’t mention the ability to flex that those cars provide. No doubt some like them for that reason alone or one of a few reasons.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:25 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Did you have a harness bar? If so where did you order fresh plastics from cutting holes?
I actually kept the cut plastic bits and carpet from the 981 (I had my shop order new items when I sold my 981 GT4 back in 2020) so I took them out and will see if the rollbar fits on the GT4RS as well as the cut plastic bits and carpet.
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 11:40 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I actually kept the cut plastic bits and carpet from the 981 (I had my shop order new items when I sold my 981 GT4 back in 2020) so I took them out and will see if the rollbar fits on the GT4RS as well as the cut plastic bits and carpet.
Smart!
Old 06-24-2022, 08:45 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Almost sure it will fit as the interior is pure 981/982.....even the new intake side ducts are very low to allow the rear roll bar bracing to connect to the rear shock towers.
BTW....saw the OEM Ti roll bar in person.....wow...I never cared for the OEM clubsport one but this one is a beauty with extra bracing and beautiful finish. Wish they could offer it as an accessory aftermarket.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:05 AM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Did you have a harness bar? If so where did you order fresh plastics from cutting holes?
I thought the harness belts attached to the firewall in a gt4rs as opposed to requiring a harness bar?
Old 06-25-2022, 02:20 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Almost sure it will fit as the interior is pure 981/982.....even the new intake side ducts are very low to allow the rear roll bar bracing to connect to the rear shock towers.
BTW....saw the OEM Ti roll bar in person.....wow...I never cared for the OEM clubsport one but this one is a beauty with extra bracing and beautiful finish. Wish they could offer it as an accessory aftermarket.
They don't offer it on latin american cars?
Old 06-25-2022, 06:22 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
I thought the harness belts attached to the firewall in a gt4rs as opposed to requiring a harness bar?
yep, attached to firewall mounted brackets
Old 06-25-2022, 07:27 AM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by TDT
So good to know. My car doesn’t have clubsport pack and I want a harness for the track. Why would anyone get a harness bar if you attach to the firewall then?

I get a half cage as you need it for some club competition. But a harness bar seems defunct if the factory solution doesn’t require that.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:55 AM
Tom Loder
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by TDT
I don’t think they are added for North America cars as we don’t get the Clubsport option and those mounting points have not been on GT4s in the past.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:04 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

You do realize that the TI bar is not FIA certified since it breaks a lot easier than the regular one which is FIA certified.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:08 AM
user 82020
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is definitely a concern....

Odin (06-27-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 10:17 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Loder
I don’t think they are added for North America cars as we don’t get the Clubsport option and those mounting points have not been on GT4s in the past.
Ok yep, so then an aftermarket harness bar is required, various flavours available, .. for actually mounting the harness to, or you can get aftermarket firewall kit as well.

The cage in the factory clubsport pack for GT4/RS is not a harness bar… it is a half roll cage… for roll protection.
In the GT 911 it is both for harness mounting AND roll protection .
cafe_racer (06-25-2022)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS