Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 11:27 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 331 Posts

Will Chalk be available as a PTS option for the 4RS? I don’t see it listed on the Porsche PTS website.

https://media.porsche.com/paint-to-sample/718
The following users liked this post:
MechEngr1287 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 09:28 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
Will Chalk be available as a PTS option for the 4RS? I don’t see it listed on the Porsche PTS website.

https://media.porsche.com/paint-to-sample/718

Chances are that it wont be a PTS as it's available as a special colors across several models...could be added as a special color for 2023. No one really knows for sure.
If you can do PTS, pick one of the other grey colors....it would be more unique than Chalk, IMO.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:30 AM
very green R
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I'm starting to like the "standard wheels".....since mine will be with Iron discs look like a lot easier to clean than the Mags!
I learned quickly on my first new Porsche a Cayman R that my light colored wheels with iron discs looked extremely dirty from brake dust after not much driving. Switched to black wheels and I enjoy not cleaning the wheels so often since the black wheels still looking great after long drives with porsche black brake dust on them. Even if I decide on PCCBs for a GT4RS I think I will get black wheels due to road tar, bugs, etc. I like driving my car and not washing the wheels so often completely since the wheels take about the same time as the whole car body.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:55 AM
very green R
Instructor

Originally Posted by electron mike
Screen shot from Raiti's GT4RS CS video of the hood NACA brake ducts that I haven't seen before. More brake cooling always nice!

Yes I noticed the brake ducts too, great to have.
The best thing I like on the GT4RS CS is the 5 lug wheels and the 19 inch wheels with 380 mm slotted iron rotors. Since I drive in remote mountain areas I am concerned with how difficult it is to work with centerlock wheels if a problem happens, without weighing my car down with a torque multiplying Renntorque tool, standard torque wrench, and special jack stand. I wish Porsche would offer the downgrade to 5 lug wheels on the GT4RS as they do on the 911 GTS and 911 Turbo. If anyone is familiar with Porsche Exclusive Manufactur do you have any feel for the extra charge for a 5 lug 19 inch setup?

Last edited by very green R; 02-23-2022 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 3 users liked this post by very green R:
jmartpr (02-23-2022), KLCC 88 (02-23-2022), ZaGT4 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 12:39 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by very green R
I learned quickly on my first new Porsche a Cayman R that my light colored wheels with iron discs looked extremely dirty from brake dust after not much driving. Switched to black wheels and I enjoy not cleaning the wheels so often since the black wheels still looking great after long drives with porsche black brake dust on them. Even if I decide on PCCBs for a GT4RS I think I will get black wheels due to road tar, bugs, etc. I like driving my car and not washing the wheels so often completely since the wheels take about the same time as the whole car body.

That's true...but I'm a bit tired of black wheels and the Platinum Wheels better match the Arctic Grey interior.....also, if you do track with your OEM wheels, black ones will get nicks that are easily notice.
Don't mind cleaning a lot the wheels.....
Old 02-23-2022, 03:28 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

The best thing I like on the GT4RS CS is the 5 lug wheels and the 19 inch wheels with 380 mm slotted iron rotors. Since I drive in remote mountain areas I am concerned with how difficult it is to work with centerlock wheels if a problem happens, without weighing my car down with a torque multiplying Renntorque tool, standard torque wrench, and special jack stand. I wish Porsche would offer the downgrade to 5 lug wheels on the GT4RS as they do on the 911 GTS and 911 Turbo. If anyone is familiar with Porsche Exclusive Manufactur do you have any feel for the extra charge for a 5 lug 19 inch setup?
The CS wheels are 18". To install 18" wheels you need the CS rear uprights, all new brake package (with all new programming). I don't know if any modifications are required for 19" wheels.

It is highly unlikely Exclusive would install CS parts on a new car because the CS parts are not homologated for street use. They may be able to offer you the 5-lug 'downgrade' from the regular GT4, you could ask them. I doubt they would downgrade the brakes though. Only speculating here.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 02-24-2022 at 11:03 AM.
very green R (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 03:31 PM
KLCC 88
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

One thing that does help with brake dust and road stuff would be to coat the rims with ceramic coating or equivalent. You will find the stuff stuck to them after a spirited drive will mostly rinse off....
The following 4 users liked this post by KLCC 88:
ace37 (02-23-2022), jmartpr (02-24-2022), unclemat (02-23-2022), very green R (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 03:38 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KLCC 88
One thing that does help with brake dust and road stuff would be to coat the rims with ceramic coating or equivalent. You will find the stuff stuck to them after a spirited drive will mostly rinse off....
This...I applied a coat of G Technic to my black wheels and 99% of the dust comes off with a good pressure washer and wheel cleaner solution, no brush.
The following 4 users liked this post by jmartpr:
ace37 (02-23-2022), KLCC 88 (02-23-2022), unclemat (02-23-2022), very green R (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 10:30 PM
very green R
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmartpr
That's true...but I'm a bit tired of black wheels and the Platinum Wheels better match the Arctic Grey interior.....also, if you do track with your OEM wheels, black ones will get nicks that are easily notice.
Don't mind cleaning a lot the wheels.....
Thanks for the replies from everybody about wheel brake dust, cleaning, and 5 lug set up vs centerlock.
I never track my original wheels or aftermarket wheels either, just mountain driving with very little traffic. 40K miles on OEM wheels in Peridot color (only 2 sets sold in North America) then placed in indoor storage for safe keeping since only a few small nicks exist. I used Optiseal (not a ceramic Coating) the last 4 years on the OEM and it helped a lot in cleaning. The aftermarket 18 inch OZ Racing wheels I bought in black and ceramic coated with 3 coats when new. Yes ceramic coating is great to help in cleaning. These have been on since May 2018 and now have 62300 miles on the car and climbing. The ceramic coating is holding up great.
KLCC 88 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 10:40 PM
very green R
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
The CS wheels are 18". To install 18" wheels you need the CS rear uprights, all new brake package (with all new programming). I don't know if any modifications are required for 19" wheels.

It is highly unlikely Exclusive would install CS parts on a new car because the CS parts are not homologated for street use. They may be able to offer you the 5-lug 'downgrade' from the regular GT4, but keep the RS brakes.
Good idea to used the regular GT4 set up: wheels, brakes, and 5 lugs . Seems like it should be a simple solution with no technical difficulties. I think I already checked and even the wheel ET, width, and diameter all the same between the GT4 and GT4RS.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:47 PM
Hwy
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

First post: March 23 is the release date of journalist reviews

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...t-sold-out-yet

And it's not completely discounted- Boxster RS https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-p...r-spyder-twin/
Old 02-24-2022, 12:21 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Good idea to used the regular GT4 set up: wheels, brakes, and 5 lugs . Seems like it should be a simple solution with no technical difficulties. I think I already checked and even the wheel ET, width, and diameter all the same between the GT4 and GT4RS.
So similar to how 997 GT3/RSs could be converted from centerlocks to 5-lugs, huh? My gold center BBS E88s will be ready for action.

Last edited by usctrojanGT3; 02-24-2022 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:24 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

It was mentioned that track width changed 7mm and 8mm respectively between GT4RS and GT4. So not sure what else will be involved other than hubs, bearings, etc. There also is a change to the front caliper on the GT4RS to accommodate the larger rotors. It may not be as simple as some envision.
The following 2 users liked this post by ExMB:
jmartpr (02-24-2022), very green R (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 10:44 AM
very green R
Instructor

Originally Posted by ExMB
It was mentioned that track width changed 7mm and 8mm respectively between GT4RS and GT4. So not sure what else will be involved other than hubs, bearings, etc. There also is a change to the front caliper on the GT4RS to accommodate the larger rotors. It may not be as simple as some envision.
Good point. I suspect the GT4RS has a different hub or rotor mounting to hub dimensional difference over the GT4 to gain the track width.

I've noticed that every Porsche center lock wheel has 15 recesses to capture the 5 equally spaced nipples pressed into the rotors hub mounting face. I think the 5 holes for the nipples in the rotor hub mounting face are on the same diameter circle as the 5 lug bolts use. So it might be as simple as pressing out the 5 nipples on the factory GT4RS cast iron rotors and machining threads in these holes in the hubs, unless the nipples are already threaded? I just need the Porsche prints for these parts,,ha ha, or to investigate if someone else has made this conversion, or to go look at and measure someones parts where the nipples have been pressed out or unscrewed and compare to a GT4RS hub. May have to wait till I get a GT4RS to do this. And if I want to go this route cast iron rotors would be the only way to go. It may be easier to just carry all the extra tools needed in the car in case I have to remove and reinstall a centerlock wheel in an isolated mountain region.

Last edited by very green R; 02-24-2022 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added last sentence
Old 02-24-2022, 10:50 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,642 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Good point. I suspect the GT4RS has a different hub or rotor mounting to hub dimensional difference over the GT4 to gain the track width.

I've noticed that every Porsche center lock wheel has 15 recesses to capture the 5 equally spaced nipples pressed into the rotors hub mounting face. I think the 5 holes for the nipples in the rotor hub mounting face are on the same diameter circle as the 5 lug bolts use. So it might be as simple as pressing out the 5 nipples on the factory GT4RS cast iron rotors and machining threads in these holes in the hubs, unless the nipples are already threaded? I just need the Porsche prints for these parts,,ha ha, or to investigate if someone else has made this conversion, or to go look at and measure someones parts where the nipples have been pressed out or unscrewed and compare to a GT4RS hub. May have to wait till I get a GT4RS to do this. And if I want to go this route cast iron rotors would be the only way to go. It may be easier to just carry all the extra tools needed in the car in case I have to remove and reinstall a centerlock wheel in an isolated mountain region.
It was done on a 997 GT3

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ispreloading=1

very green R (02-24-2022)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS