Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 11:59 AM
very green R
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche2014
But I'm at the point that I'll watch ANY video of the GT4 RS right now!
There is a video from today with Chris Harris discussing new cars he will drive in 2022. At 5:44 he discusses the GT4RS and says something to the effect: disappointment PDK only, reduces my interest slightly, everyone wondered what a Cayman would be like since it was launched in 2004 if it had a proper engine, now it does and it should be fascinating but wish it had a manual.

Last edited by very green R; 12-30-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:02 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbauer
Custom 19s will fit over the factory carbon ceramic brakes, which are 410mm. It is tight, but can be done. By comparison, there is plenty of clearance on the factory steel brakes with 19s.

Ron
Any links from the GT3 forum showing this; especially 992 GT3s. Last I read numerous reports of scraping inner barrel on wheels and calipers from FOD indicating there isn't "plenty" of clearance.
The following users liked this post:
Sean in Texas (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 06:04 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
If the front brakes are basically the same as the 992 GT3 then yes, they already have the kit and 19" fit. They go from 408 mm discs to 394 mm. You can even do just the front if you are OK with different calipers.
Man, having some experience with mixing and matching stock with APs, I would not recommend it. Due to cracked pucks, I started out with the front half of the AP kit on my .1 GT3, stock rear, and for some reason it was inducing the stability control at really odd times, such as over the bump coming out of T10 at COTA. NOT GOOD. Eventually, I diagnosed by turning all the nannies off. After the weekend was over, I called Essex, Jeff referred me to their engineers, and they had never heard of such a thing, as I was the first (dumbass) they had heard of to only buy half the system. The only thing I can think of is the difference in weight, stock vs the AP. I'm open to ideas on that.

Subsequently, I purchased the rears, and everything was back to normal.

Last edited by Sean in Texas; 12-30-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:26 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 421 Posts

So, the thing still nagging at me is what about the rear end suspension? We’re changes made to reduce the toe deflection and improve rear end stability under high speed braking? The RS likely has stiffer springs all around, and of course some different dampeners. I haven’t seen anything to address the rear end, please advise if I’ve missed something.

Because I’m sort of thinking, a 500HP monster with the out of the box setup we got with the GT4 could be dangerous. Wonder if that’s why PCNA isn’t giving dealers allocations? 918 Whales and MotorSport teams first makes sense. Is that really all they can supply for 2022 model year?

Last edited by phefner; 12-30-2021 at 10:28 PM.
wizee (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 10:40 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,765 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Were changes made to reduce the toe deflection and improve rear end stability under high speed braking? The RS likely has stiffer springs all around, and of course some different dampeners. I haven’t seen anything to address the rear end, please advise if I’ve missed something.

Because I’m sort of thinking, a 500HP monster with the out of the box setup we got with the GT4 could be dangerous.
Sounds like fun! 🤘
jmartpr (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 02:03 AM
panmric
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
So, the thing still nagging at me is what about the rear end suspension? We’re changes made to reduce the toe deflection and improve rear end stability under high speed braking? The RS likely has stiffer springs all around, and of course some different dampeners. I haven’t seen anything to address the rear end, please advise if I’ve missed something.

Because I’m sort of thinking, a 500HP monster with the out of the box setup we got with the GT4 could be dangerous. Wonder if that’s why PCNA isn’t giving dealers allocations? 918 Whales and MotorSport teams first makes sense. Is that really all they can supply for 2022 model year?
1mm toe in rear? But how much ring lap time will you lose without multilink rear suspensions? 1 sec? Maybe MR package will give us some proper alignment?
Old 12-31-2021, 02:08 AM
panmric
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgang
As I recall the official 'ring time for the GT4RS was done with the front fender louvers covered by speed tape. (This was prior to the reveal)
If so, the front end was likely light thru the high speed sections and harder to rotate for high speed corners.
A better time may have been left on the table had they wanted one...
Maybe another 3 secs with Lars/Kevin on the wheels? And IMO they can easily make it faster with 255 front which is not "allowed" by PAG.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:27 AM
GREENI
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah yes, Doug DeMuro, I love how he points at things, because his audience aren’t ‘car guys’.

“…rear wing…”

Old 12-31-2021, 02:31 AM
GREENI
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

“… front fender…”

Let’s face it, Doug…. You think your audience is stupid.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:59 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by panmric
Maybe another 3 secs with Lars/Kevin on the wheels? And IMO they can easily make it faster with 255 front which is not "allowed" by PAG.
I'm willing to bet if it had a multilink rear it'd be a lot faster than 4 seconds in their hands.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:22 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
I'm willing to bet if it had a multilink rear it'd be a lot faster than 4 seconds in their hands.
But it will never have one so the only option is to improve the suspension setup with aftermarket parts.....I'm willing to bet they even left the same rear toe adjustment via eccentric bolts.
If you notice the wheels are the same spec (size wise) as the GT4....using a 8.5" wheel up front vs a 9", which is what the GT3 has and we know is a must for track with a wider tire.
Those are simple mods PAG could have done but still decided to save some $$$$ and keep the performance at a level below the GT3.
FogCitySF (01-02-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 10:24 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean in Texas
Man, having some experience with mixing and matching stock with APs, I would not recommend it. Due to cracked pucks, I started out with the front half of the AP kit on my .1 GT3, stock rear, and for some reason it was inducing the stability control at really odd times, such as over the bump coming out of T10 at COTA. NOT GOOD. Eventually, I diagnosed by turning all the nannies off. After the weekend was over, I called Essex, Jeff referred me to their engineers, and they had never heard of such a thing, as I was the first (dumbass) they had heard of to only buy half the system. The only thing I can think of is the difference in weight, stock vs the AP. I'm open to ideas on that.

Subsequently, I purchased the rears, and everything was back to normal.

Thanks for the info on the AP brakes....my plan is to purchase the whole system as I would not like to have different calipers front and rear. Essex still says you could go just with the front, they should correct that if that's a problem.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:31 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Any links from the GT3 forum showing this; especially 992 GT3s. Last I read numerous reports of scraping inner barrel on wheels and calipers from FOD indicating there isn't "plenty" of clearance.

The last info I read was from Apex and the clearance was 1-2 mm...that's just not enough and they recommend not using 19" with PCCBs
The Iron brakes on the 4RS are 408 mm so that's basically 2 mm less than PCCB....I still think 19" will not work with 4-5 mm clearance.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:34 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by very green R
There is a video from today with Chris Harris discussing new cars he will drive in 2022. At 5:44 he discusses the GT4RS and says something to the effect: disappointment PDK only, reduces my interest slightly, everyone wondered what a Cayman would be like since it was launched in 2004 if it had a proper engine, now it does and it should be fascinating but wish it had a manual.

https://youtu.be/4oPFv_qbqhk?t=343

Here we go again with the comments about the tranny....but they never complain about a GT3RS being PDK.
It's an RS....they are just saying this because the engine gap between the GT4 and GT4RS is so huge you just can't step down to the GT4 with a manual and call it a day like you can do on the GT3/RS
Diablo Dude (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 11:52 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

WRT clearance of 19s on PCCB and/or steel brakes, yes, there is minimal clearance on the PCCBs. The wheel will mount, but yes, FOD will cause minor scoring on the wheel barrel, as well as possibly on the caliper. It really depends on how you want to use your car. For those wanting maximum performance and best tire selection, the 19s are going to be the better option. In the grand scheme of things, if you score the calipers, you can always buy replacements down the line if you want the car pristine again. The cost of the PCCBs isn't in the caliper itself.... They aren't really that much different than the "steel" calipers.

Apex, I'd imagine, doesn't want the liability of people saying their wheels caused "damage" to their car.

I'm not saying 19s are for everyone. I however bought my car to play with it, and for a lot of those play things, the 19s are better from a performance and tire selection standpoint.

Oh, and just to cover this, I'm talking custom 19s.... Mine are from BC Forged. I have steel brakes, but have mounted them up to PCCB cars to verify fitment.

Ron

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS