Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 11:25 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
The high dollar guys never want to let the lowly "entry level Porsches" pass. lol Especially the Italian ones. You're in their passenger seat through every turn, then they roar off on the straights. Rinse and repeat. (Not all of them, of course)
Not gonna lie... I was extremely smugly self-satisfied the time I ran down a 488 Challenge car on the track and, to his credit, he gave me the pass when it was obvious I was there to stay.
The following users liked this post:
daaa nope (12-10-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 11:59 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
The launch color package is just "off" - we love the car in spite of its crazy mismatched launch shades. It looks like a blind date that did not work out!
The plastic Naca ducts and fender vents are just wrong, should have been carbon fiber, ESPECIALLY bad on Weissach package car. The bean counters won on this one.
The wing is very good, way nicer than standard GT4. Yet, falls short not being identical to the Clubsport car.
The contrasting, non-body colored side scoops are so aftermarket. Ok fine if you like exposed CF get it. Otherwise, leave that idea to Audi.
No changes to the plain bulbus rear end? Aggressive vertical cut out vents would have been nice. I will grade this one an "Incomplete".
The air intake treatment on the interior is both ingenious and esthetically pleasing. 5-stars to that designer.
The front fender cutout behind the wheel is different, aggressive, works on this car. You better wrap it.
Choosing to use the GT3 engine is the NUTS - it alone makes the RS truly a special Cayman and worth the price of admission.
My thoughts as well! Also the roof could have used some sort of change...either way hoping to pick up the 4RS just not considering Weissach
Old 12-08-2021, 12:22 PM
MsGT3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by josephr25
Is that a massive scratch on the Carbon Fiber or is that like a manufacturing issue? Or is it just light reflection?
Old 12-08-2021, 12:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Reflection, imo
Old 12-08-2021, 12:36 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Most of them won't ever see the track ADM or no ADM. I never see RS's show up at the track. I almost never see GT3s show up. Used 911s and cayman and boxsters are fairly common once they hit a certain age.

IMO the few that would actually bring an RS end up bringing their cup car or another flavour of the month car they just happen to own they rather drive that day. The rest it's too much car and they're terrified of taking it to the track or they're always working or doing something else and have no time.
Wondering what track(s) you're talking about. I see plenty of GT and RS cars on the various tracks in Ontario. Maybe this is demographic issue in western canada? This is a pic from an HPDE at CTMSP (old Mosport).

Old 12-08-2021, 12:37 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Reflection, I've seen it in other pics
Old 12-08-2021, 01:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Puggz
Wondering what track(s) you're talking about. I see plenty of GT and RS cars on the various tracks in Ontario. Maybe this is demographic issue in western canada? This is a pic from an HPDE at CTMSP (old Mosport).

A few thoughts there... In general Canadians take out less leverage, and those who are buying Porsche GT product it's because it's a much smaller proportion of their wealth. Where is in the US many are leveraged to the hilt, pretending wealth while making payments.. So there is more concerning the value of the car at the time of sale.

Having said that in certain parts of the country the tracks are full of cars Up to the million dollar range, especially here in California you just see some really incredible lineups at the track.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:31 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Would have to agree, there are plenty of GT3/RS/GT4 at CTMP here along with some 2RS. There are also a bunch that never see track use.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:09 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Did I say anything about wheels/unsprung weight? And does the RS offer CF wheels?

The funniest is listening to fat guys talk about the 25 lbs they saved by spending $15k on bling blang.
Really? You are a bit of a presumptious sod, aren't you? Fat guy? I'm 181 cm and weigh 75 kg. What about you?

part of the fun of owning such a car is knowing that you made it as good a performer as possible. How are you speccing your GT4RS?
The following 2 users liked this post by Il CP:
Booth9999 (12-12-2021), Porsche2014 (12-09-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 03:36 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by MsGT3
Is that a massive scratch on the Carbon Fiber or is that like a manufacturing issue? Or is it just light reflection?
I didn't pay too much attention to it, had lots to do that day. It kinda looks like a seam to install the duct
Old 12-08-2021, 07:35 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,777 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by Puggz
I really think it might be a demographic issue. I know what goes on at all the tracks in Alberta. I'll see in spring what happens at the new private track going up trying to cater to the 1% crowd. I have an decent understanding of what goes on at Gimli and area 27. I don't know what happens at the track on Vancouver island or at mission (mission is very tiny, totally off my radar). The sask guys haven't unlocked how to build a race track with left turns as well as right yet, so they come to Alberta for racing. So 4 provinces of race track drivers and that picture you posted would be extremely rare to see those cars at the same event let alone on track at the same time, but we definitely have our fair share of those cars sold here and in people's garages.

If they don't show up at the new track that basically is catering to them with a super safe runoff everywhere that is almost impossible to damage a car from what i've seen of the deisgn then it definitely is demographics or culture. It's quite possible being so close to the mountains those guys get their fill of driving just from doing mountain cruises. It's also possible they get swarmed by civics trying to rape pass them for bragging rights and never come back because it's not fun to get passed by a base boxster in your GT3 RS, while at the same time being terrified of it's crazy abilities. And if it's not fun you generally don't come back.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:52 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by josephr25

Wasn't there previously a separate option in the configurator for the air intakes to be scoop-style in visible carbon fiber separate from the Weissach package?

Not seeing it anymore. Definitely more attractive then the recessed style IMHO, though I could do without the rest of the Weissach package. (Probably already discussed somewhere in the past 4,900 posts! )
Old 12-08-2021, 08:12 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Any idea when US allocations will be assigned to dealers?
Old 12-08-2021, 09:02 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Any idea when US allocations will be assigned to dealers?
Q1 AFAIK
The following users liked this post:
raymort (12-08-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 12:32 AM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Wasn't there previously a separate option in the configurator for the air intakes to be scoop-style in visible carbon fiber separate from the Weissach package?

Not seeing it anymore. Definitely more attractive then the recessed style IMHO, though I could do without the rest of the Weissach package. (Probably already discussed somewhere in the past 4,900 posts! )
I didn't see the duct as a separate option when I was playing with the configurator

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS