Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 11:06 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Also agree. Black with red accents would be appropriate. All my vehicles have had black interiors. I regretted not getting Spyder Classic Interior with 981. And, I really dig that two-tone styling. Just trying different exterior colors to make it work. Other option would be Carrara White Metallic. But, Guards Red accentuates the lines better than other offered-colors.
If you love the Classic interior then you better go with something other then Guards Red. I agree White would work but also GT Silver would be killer and that Gentian Blue might be stunning with the Classic interior though would have to see it in person. Looks like it has many shades depending on lighting. GT Silver with its gradual changes in grayness accentuates Porsche curves better than almost any other color I've seen.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:08 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Don't you think different shades of red actually provide a contrast?

Agree; looks better than it should. Being two-tone gives a decent contrast. Yes, the top needs to be black. Alternatively, your exact config is also in the play. Well, we don't have many combinations to play with, do we?

Also agree. Black with red accents would be appropriate. All my vehicles have had black interiors. I regretted not getting Spyder Classic Interior with 981. And, I really dig that two-tone styling. Just trying different exterior colors to make it work. Other option would be Carrara White Metallic. But, Guards Red accentuates the lines better than other offered-colors.
The problem is, they are too far off and don't match. My wife tells me all the time I have no sense for two reds. I have since learned more than I ever want to know about the color red. One is a blue red (the classic interior) and the other is an orange red (guards). Those two don't go together. You have to keep them on the same spectrum.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:13 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks, guab. Should heed to your experience. Do you enjoy having the Guards Red? Or, did it make you feel that you wished it was a different color? To me, the color is all-too important. Don't wanna screw it up!
Love my Guards Red. Best free color =) The only other color I would have liked I don't think was available on the Spyder, which was Carmine Red.

I like Miami Blue but I'm scared of the resale. But if I had an allocation, I would probably do Guards Red, PCCB (for the brake dust), Leather steering wheel and shifter (alcantara sucks), 18 ways and Burm. Probably belts in GR too. I love the look of the buckets but I think it would make me drive the car even less.

If choosing the Spyder Classic Interior, my choice would either be GT Silver or Black.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:39 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
.........but also GT Silver would be killer and that Gentian Blue might be stunning with the Classic interior though would have to see it in person. Looks like it has many shades depending on lighting. GT Silver with its gradual changes in grayness accentuates Porsche curves better than almost any other color I've seen.
I don't plan to dump the 981 (as of now), which is Sapphire Blue. So, Gentian Blue is out, since don't want to have two shades of blue at the same time. Yes, GT Silver is classy. Shows the lines better than white. Yet, Guards Red seems to accentuate the lines better. In the Configurator, with rear-end shot, if you switch between GT Silver and Guards Red, back and forth, you can see how the lines pop in Guards Red.

Originally Posted by blackholescion
......... My wife tells me all the time I have no sense for two reds. I have since learned more than I ever want to know about the color red. One is a blue red (the classic interior) and the other is an orange red (guards). Those two don't go together. You have to keep them on the same spectrum.
See, men can be taught too, with respect to styling and colors! I do think that I happen to have a good sense of styling! :-) Agree with your comments as well.

Originally Posted by guab
Love my Guards Red. Best free color =) The only other color I would have liked I don't think was available on the Spyder, which was Carmine Red.

I like Miami Blue but I'm scared of the resale...........
If choosing the Spyder Classic Interior, my choice would either be GT Silver or Black.
Well, I thought Sapphire Blue was one of the best, near-free color ever offered! Agree on Carmine; would choose over Guards.

I may have to let go off Classic Interior. Or, go with GT Silver. Will need to sleep on this. Thanks gentlemen.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:39 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicknose
Wow - thats almost 100k more than my 981 Spyder.
I noticed the standard seat is now the base 2-way - previously it was the Sports Buckets (now $6,870). I got the 18 way couch and actually haggled some money from this downgrade towards other options.
I think reversing camera is now included (for 981 was an expensive option since it was camera only, no ultrasonics)
Mine has darker wheels, which dont seem to be an option anymore.
code = PLSDJE91
Damn it wont generate a price - but thats about $10k in options.
Did you go PCCB? Or the full sports seats?
I went PCCB on both tries. And NO i went with the folding buckets as per the 987.2/GT2.
Best. Seats. Ever.
They are so good - they make my Sports Adaptive + Ventilated seats in the TT seem uncomfortable. I'm considering a swap .... or if i find some $$ a new set from Gert.

I think it needs to be a nice spec. for a special car.
I get it that most wont get it - but IDGAF - its what i want.
I know deviated stitching is everywhere now (my soon to be wife's Vitara has it) but it makes the interior (which is where you spend most of the time) feel special.

I think a nicely specced car would be an easier sell. Not that i'm selling....
Old 06-20-2019, 11:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

While I have no intention to buy one I did have some fun with the configuration. It’s crazy how many more options are available on the newer cars.

Here’s what I came up with...

Old 06-20-2019, 11:56 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 582 Posts

Looking at the base prices for the new Spyder/GT4 they will be a nice profit center for Porsche, and continue to help pay off dieselgate for VW... If I were to spec out a new one (if I was lucky enough to secure a PTS slot again) it would easily be 25K more than the one I'm driving now!!
Old 06-21-2019, 12:07 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Has anyone compared the new classic interior to the 981? They look pretty similar to me.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:09 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Classic interior looks the same to me too, I think it’s a bargain considering what you get.

My configuration was about $119k without PTS, that’s insane.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:52 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
My configuration was about $119k without PTS, that’s insane.
Yet it's still thousands less than a 911 S Cab manual. Are we to believe that the S Cab is that much a better car? I know 911 0-60 times are more impressive, especially with FI and PDK, but is it otherwise mainly due to gearing and tricks of the light, to help the 911 keep its place amongst the heap?
Even at $120,000, in Porsche language, I think this car remains a bargain.

Last edited by Selo; 06-21-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:35 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Has anyone compared the new classic interior to the 981? They look pretty similar to me.
Definitely some differences.

Note that on the 981 the red leather is Garnet Red and on the 982 it is Bordeaux. If you’ve seen the Spyder Classic interior on the 981 don’t make the mistake of assuming it’s going to be the same color on the 982. Bordeaux is definitely darker and Garnet is a brighter red. Those who typically shy away from red interiors for fear that it might be too loud may be drawn to the darker, more subdued shade of Bordeaux.

Furthermore, on the 981 the leather in the Spyder Classic package is “natural leather,” a higher grade of leather than Porsche’s “standard” leather. Nothing I’ve read so far indicates that the red leather interior in the 982 is “natural,” but I may have missed it.

Although the price of the SC package has gone up to $2,800 from $2,580, it’s still a screaming bargain IMO and presents an opportunity to those looking for a bespoke interior that really has some flair (my bias showing here).

With the 981 the SC package was new and unknown. Now that it is four years old and folks have seen it in person and in countless photographs it’s no longer a mystery so I’m betting the take rate will be higher (perhaps much higher) with the 982. While white may be the launch color, my guess is GT Silver/SC interior/red roof will become the “signature” color of the new Spyder.

There is no change in the 982 as to the areas that are covered in leather and Alcantara:

In Bordeaux Red Leather:
  • Upper Dashboard
  • Headrests with "Spyder" logo embroidered in Black
  • Center console tunnel sides
  • Upper door panel trim
In Black Alcantara®:
  • Seat Centers
  • Steering wheel rim
  • Door center panels
  • Door grab handles
  • Door arm rests
  • Lower dashboard
  • Gear lever and gear lever boot

Additionally, the interior trim is still the color of GT Silver and the door pull loops are still black.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:39 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Delete
Old 06-21-2019, 07:02 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by topwater
Money is not the issue, I sent him a copy of the allocation agreement that I signed and faxed to them over a year ago. I told him to pull the trigger on the deal. He said some one will call me tomorrow. It was close to closing time, but wow. Seldom have I seen such nonchalance in a sales force.
money will certainly be the issue if they report some 'glitch' and then try to sell your spot to another eager buyer for cash. they might be stalling you to gauge interest out there. hope it's not the case and you don't have any headaches in what should be a fun endeavor. best to you!
Old 06-21-2019, 11:11 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
While I have no intention to buy one I did have some fun with the configuration. It’s crazy how many more options are available on the newer cars.

Here’s what I came up with...

Classic interior makes the color scheme busy with pccb. I think black leather with yellow stitching would look better.

The following users liked this post:
jto24 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:26 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Yet it's still thousands less than a 911 S Cab manual. Are we to believe that the S Cab is that much a better car? I know 911 0-60 times are more impressive, especially with FI and PDK, but is it otherwise mainly due to gearing and tricks of the light, to help the 911 keep its place amongst the heap?
Even at $120,000, in Porsche language, I think this car remains a bargain.
The Spyder getting GT3 front suspension is huge but they still neutered the rear suspension vs a 911. That is a huge difference. Better is so subjective. I have a highly optioned and highly modified 991.1 that is a better car in every way to my 987. My 987 gets driven way more!

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?