Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:26 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
anyone know why gold wheels are not an option on the Spyder?
Because The Spyder is second place! Silver!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
anyone know why gold wheels are not an option on the Spyder?
Because gold wheels compliment the gold chains worn by most GT4 owners?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:47 PM
topwater
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_rider
981 Spyder/GT4 don't have Auto Stop/Start feature, thankfully!
Thank you. I don’t like it but my 981 Boxster S has it, however, it has to be activated to work. As long as I don’t have to turn it off every time I start the car, it’s a non-issue to me. The huge bummer is that the new Spyder has 100 hp more than my car, yet it still can’t keep up with a Porsche SfreakinUV in a sprint. That’s so messed up that I’m rethinking the whole deal.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Because gold wheels compliment the gold chains worn by most GT4 owners?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!
thought that new blue color with satin aurum wheels would look nice

the blue color looks brighter on the 992 configurator, they have Night Blue which is definitely a dark blue

probably stick with basic white and red top, red Spyder Classic interior w/PCCBs if I get one
Old 06-19-2019, 09:51 PM
Yc911Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by topwater
Thank you. I don’t like it but my 981 Boxster S has it, however, it has to be activated to work. As long as I don’t have to turn it off every time I start the car, it’s a non-issue to me. The huge bummer is that the new Spyder has 100 hp more than my car, yet it still can’t keep up with a Porsche SfreakinUV in a sprint. That’s so messed up that I’m rethinking the whole deal.
You know a four banger can fix that
Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

not this time! as you predicted it's a GT and co-equal to GT4

I like wheels that show definition but the wife likes the satin black
maybe satin black is a good choice this time to cover up the daisy petal wheels

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Because The Spyder is second place! Silver!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:09 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpineR
You must have ticked all the box’s to get up there, base car no options on road is AU$230, you have $50k of stuff right there lol
By the time you add PTS + Ceramics + LWB's it doesn't take long......Believe me I could've gone more nuts....
Even a stripper - with what i would consider necessary (red belts, deviated stitching, LWB's, Bose etc easily gets you to almost $250.....

Base car is $230K, no arguing there - but who orders base?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:25 PM
topwater
Intermediate

Does anyone know if this is a limited production car or not? I’ve heard it both ways. That also will influence my decision. If limited, I’m on a allocation waiting list and will probably pull the trigger on the deal. If not, I’m going to sit back and wait until the car gets thoroughly interrogated by the journalists. Imho, it’s hard to pay over 100k for a “sports car” that cant even keep up with the same companies SUV.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:39 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Does anyone know if this is a limited production car or not? I’ve heard it both ways. That also will influence my decision. If limited, I’m on a allocation waiting list and will probably pull the trigger on the deal. If not, I’m going to sit back and wait until the car gets thoroughly interrogated by the journalists. Imho, it’s hard to pay over 100k for a “sports car” that cant even keep up with the same companies SUV.
It is not a limited production car (not numbered). Typically from what I've seen, the more vehicle sales a dealer gets the more allocations for GT models they will receive (similar to how BMW works with their M models).

991.1 GT3 wasn't numbered.
991.1 GT3 RS wasn't numbered.
991.2 GT3 wasn't numbered.
991.2 GT3 RS wasn't numbered.
991.2 GT2RS wasn't numbered.

911 R was numbered.
Speedster is numbered.
GT3 RS 4.0 (997.2) was numbered.

Zero chance this will be a limited special edition vehicle that will hold value or be a collector car. That said, depreciation might be less than what is typical for a two year ownership period (if you like to trade up) assuming you pay sticker and keep miles to a bare minimum (what fun is that?), but given how the recent 991.2 models have done, I even question that at this point. That game is kind of over now. You'll still see the dealer adm BS, but it'll probably drop pretty fast this time around.

RE: performance...Just not really built to be an autobahn bomber (a gently used 991.1 TT would be a great stablemate though!). My 981 spyder with headers is certainly not fast on the street compared to a lot of what's out there these days. I can think of a number of SUVs that would absolutely demolish me from a stop to stop. But it sounds great and is fun to drive on the right roads. If that's what you want, it's a great option. Otherwise there are probably better options for the price.

I hope you find what you're looking for. They're great cars.

Last edited by guab; 06-19-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:23 PM
topwater
Intermediate

Originally Posted by guab
It is not a limited production car (not numbered). Typically from what I've seen, the more vehicle sales a dealer gets the more allocations for GT models they will receive (similar to how BMW works with their M models).

991.1 GT3 wasn't numbered.
991.1 GT3 RS wasn't numbered.
991.2 GT3 wasn't numbered.
991.2 GT3 RS wasn't numbered.
991.2 GT2RS wasn't numbered.

911 R was numbered.
Speedster is numbered.
GT3 RS 4.0 (997.2) was numbered.

Zero chance this will be a limited special edition vehicle that will hold value or be a collector car. That said, depreciation might be less than what is typical for a two year ownership period (if you like to trade up) assuming you pay sticker and keep miles to a bare minimum (what fun is that?), but given how the recent 991.2 models have done, I even question that at this point. That game is kind of over now. You'll still see the dealer adm BS, but it'll probably drop pretty fast this time around.

RE: performance...Just not really built to be an autobahn bomber (a gently used 991.1 TT would be a great stablemate though!). My 981 spyder with headers is certainly not fast on the street compared to a lot of what's out there these days. I can think of a number of SUVs that would absolutely demolish me from a stop to stop. But it sounds great and is fun to drive on the right roads. If that's what you want, it's a great option. Otherwise there are probably better options for the price.

I hope you find what you're looking for. They're great cars.
I see what you are saying.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:29 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
The Guards Red looks pretty cool. But, Spyder Classic Interior may not work with it, which I really want. Or, will it? Damn, lack of decent color choices is hurting!

Looks like vast majority of current Spyders (987 and 981) and GT4 drivers aren't biting! That's a bad news. Let's see if that trend changes when press reviews hit the web. If the GTS gets the same engine, as there are strong reports, the sales will tank! If the car sounds as bad as the Euro-spec in the promo videos (or, the Auto Stop/Start impacts the experience), even I would jump off the train!
With GT4s being 3 to 4.5 yrs old, how many are still owned by the original owners? How long have the current owners had their cars? Will be interesting to see the types of buyers and the mix between the GT4 and Spyder.

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Manual only was my biggest surprise. Guess Porsche is forgetting Americans buy autos predominantly. Honestly these cars are slight updates at best for the consumer, not racer. New means a 4 year warranty, Apple CarPlay and such, but the concept isn't new. And as much as I like NA, I feel I'm the odd man out against the vast majority who love forced induction, especially the 718 flock. Porsche is about 2 years late with these, and should have stuffed the 3.0 turbo in them and made them mostly PDK--if they want to sell a bunch of them.
Rumor is that PDK will be offered during the production run.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:50 PM
topwater
Intermediate

Nonetheless, the top of the line Boxster being outrun by the same companies SUV on the drag strip is like a 911 Carrera S being out run by a minivan.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:51 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

according to one post June 2020 for PDK, Porsche's own document says "likely, late 2020"

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Rumor is that PDK will be offered during the production run.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:59 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Nonetheless, the top of the line Boxster being outrun by the same companies SUV on the drag strip is like a 911 Carrera S being out run by a minivan.
No one buys a Boxster for its straight line acceleration. Plenty other cars that are much faster in a straight line at a fraction of the cost.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:09 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
With GT4s being 3 to 4.5 yrs old, how many are still owned by the original owners? How long have the current owners had their cars? Will be interesting to see the types of buyers and the mix between the GT4 and Spyder.
Original owner of GT4: Allocation granted Jan. 2016, build locked March, delivered June, first track day, August, odometer mileage on maiden track run: 1997. Hope to always have this car.

Would love a PDK GT4 and could be tempted with a 718 Spyder, MT only.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?