718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is going on with the 718 market?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019 | 04:54 PM
k.alexander
Instructor

It's funny, I was actually looking for an S with all the GTS spec stuff, i.e. PASM (although I could have done without the extra 10mm drop), PTV, SE, SC, etc., but with limited options in part to keep the cost down and in part because I don't like superfluous options which I wouldn't actually use much if at all (ex. power seats, or upgraded stereo (I mostly listen to audiobooks and/or podcasts), or for that matter even Navi when I intend to use CarPlay with Waze exclusively, or the upgraded headlights -- I don't care for their look although the fact that they turn is damn cool). So the way this car was spec'ed is actually pretty close to perfect. I prefer the Sports-Tex seats, actually my first choice, over leather and god forbid Alcantara; I also like the Sports Plus seats but could care less about 14/18 way power - I'm the only driving this car ever. I also really wanted and glad I got the multi-functioning steering wheel, the fact that's also a GT is another nice plus. Never had heated seats or wheel before, and I'm sure those will be nice in the winter, but I prefer the button layout/usability of the base HVAC controls over the 2-zone one in a car barely big enough for two people The one thing I'm clearly missing, and this will take a bit of an adjustment even coming from my 09 Z, is the Entry & Drive package; I'm so used to locking/unlocking and also starting the car without having to take anything out of my pocket . Lane Change Assist would have been nice too, but not a necessity. Lastly I really wanted Adaptive Cruise Control but that doesn't work without a PDK and the only option I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO HAVE was the 6 speed. Anyways, will report more after a few days of driving.

Last edited by k.alexander; 11-25-2019 at 05:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
crazeazn (12-01-2019)
Old 11-25-2019 | 05:14 PM
k.alexander
Instructor

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - summer only.
Old 11-25-2019 | 05:30 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by k.alexander
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - summer only.
I assume that is the OEM offering then...good... I know the car I purchased (delivery tomorrow) has Eagles and was hoping that was the case...summer year round are good in Az where I am.
Old 11-25-2019 | 06:51 PM
Frank237
Advanced

KA,

Beautiful Car! Love the color.

Best of Luck with the new wheels.
k.alexander (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019 | 07:34 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reiver
I assume that is the OEM offering then...good... I know the car I purchased (delivery tomorrow) has Eagles and was hoping that was the case...summer year round are good in Az where I am.
I have the Eagles as OEM on my 2018 Cayman S - now at 12,000 miles with plenty of wear left both front and rear. Interestingly, they're made in Germany. I don't know if Goodyear has factories there or subcontracts them to someone else. They're fine down to about 40F for spirited driving and about 30 F for just getting around (dry conditions). I park the car below 30F; thought about winter tire/wheel set but haven't pulled the trigger. I don't have any comparators but have been happy with the Eagles from handling, durability and noise perspectives. Left to my own devices, I'm a Michelin guy, so will try the PS4S when it's time for replacements. There are a couple of threads here that discuss the various OEM tires. The consensus of these seemed to be that the PS4S were slightly better handling but somewhat less durable.
k.alexander (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019 | 07:57 PM
Reiver
Drifting

It gets down past freezing here at late night only...days warm up well past 40 usually so should not be an issue.....it'll be nice to have uniform tire wear for a change....I go thru 3 sets of rears for every front set on my SC 911...and now they no longer make the rears in the same pattern....so new tires all around shortly and the fronts are still way good to go.
Old 11-26-2019 | 12:07 PM
matmanx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by k.alexander
It's funny, I was actually looking for an S with all the GTS spec stuff, i.e. PASM (although I could have done without the extra 10mm drop), PTV, SE, SC, etc., but with limited options in part to keep the cost down and in part because I don't like superfluous options which I wouldn't actually use much if at all (ex. power seats, or upgraded stereo (I mostly listen to audiobooks and/or podcasts), or for that matter even Navi when I intend to use CarPlay with Waze exclusively, or the upgraded headlights -- I don't care for their look although the fact that they turn is damn cool). So the way this car was spec'ed is actually pretty close to perfect. I prefer the Sports-Tex seats, actually my first choice, over leather and god forbid Alcantara; I also like the Sports Plus seats but could care less about 14/18 way power - I'm the only driving this car ever. I also really wanted and glad I got the multi-functioning steering wheel, the fact that's also a GT is another nice plus. Never had heated seats or wheel before, and I'm sure those will be nice in the winter, but I prefer the button layout/usability of the base HVAC controls over the 2-zone one in a car barely big enough for two people The one thing I'm clearly missing, and this will take a bit of an adjustment even coming from my 09 Z, is the Entry & Drive package; I'm so used to locking/unlocking and also starting the car without having to take anything out of my pocket . Lane Change Assist would have been nice too, but not a necessity. Lastly I really wanted Adaptive Cruise Control but that doesn't work without a PDK and the only option I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO HAVE was the 6 speed. Anyways, will report more after a few days of driving.
Right there with you on the Entry and Drive. My Macan had it but my Cayman does not. But I'm a little over a week into it and now I am already getting used to taking the key out. On the upside I do enjoy the process of putting the little Porsche key in the slot and twisting the ignition switch. It somehow feels a little more engaging and purposeful than simply getting in and twisting the built in fob that you get with Entry and Drive.

As for Lane Change Assist I think you will find that it is not needed in these cars. The visibility is so good that there are very few blind spots and those spots tend to be very small as compared to some other cars. If it was a Boxster I would definitely look for one with LCA but the Cayman really does not need it.
Old 11-26-2019 | 12:19 PM
k.alexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by matmanx1
Right there with you on the Entry and Drive. My Macan had it but my Cayman does not. But I'm a little over a week into it and now I am already getting used to taking the key out. On the upside I do enjoy the process of putting the little Porsche key in the slot and twisting the ignition switch. It somehow feels a little more engaging and purposeful than simply getting in and twisting the built in fob that you get with Entry and Drive.

As for Lane Change Assist I think you will find that it is not needed in these cars. The visibility is so good that there are very few blind spots and those spots tend to be very small as compared to some other cars. If it was a Boxster I would definitely look for one with LCA but the Cayman really does not need it.
Agree that it’s nice to actually put the key into the ignition and start the car (the key is cool too). Still miss the buttons to lock/unlock doors and trunk, and the convenience and speed of jumping into the car and starting with a press of a finger.
Old 11-26-2019 | 02:20 PM
fantom
Racer

Just like your, or my, spouse....give it a couple of weeks and all your options, and non options, will be perfect, once you get used to them.

IMO, whatever PAG finally does with future Cayman offerings , your outstanding car will only go up in value.

Permagrin has set in.
k.alexander (11-26-2019)
Old 12-01-2019 | 03:34 AM
crazeazn
Intermediate

What a great thread! I'm trying to find my first 718 in manual and it has been tough. I'm a cheapskate so I would like a car that is already taken the depreciation hit but it seems they haven't really done so. I test drove a brand new Red Boxster GTS in MT at Porsche North Houston and made me firmly decide that a manual was the better option for me. I'm not sure but why are the 15/16' 981 GTS almost the same price as a used 718 GTS? Is it solely the H6?
Old 12-01-2019 | 05:21 AM
Wilson2017
Cruisin'

If you haven't looked on car gurus yet they seem to run about 1/3 MT, 2/3 PDK for the 718. You can check how many days the car has been for sale and the pricing history too. Some CPO cars too.

crazeazn (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019 | 11:56 AM
crazeazn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wilson2017
If you haven't looked on car gurus yet they seem to run about 1/3 MT, 2/3 PDK for the 718. You can check how many days the car has been for sale and the pricing history too. Some CPO cars too.
Thanks for that. I read through this entire thread and was curious; how much wiggle room would I realistically be able to negotiate for a used 18' manual GTS? I know its highly option dependent of course but most of the posts are discounts % are based on new MSRP (10~15%) for a "new"-ish car sitting on the lot. Although I'm in Houston, there are no cars specced to my liking in Texas (guess I fall into the OCD must-have-it-my-way), so I'll have to purchase out of state.

Last edited by crazeazn; 12-01-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2019 | 01:24 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crazeazn
Thanks for that. I read through this entire thread and was curious; how much wiggle room would I realistically be able to negotiate for a used 18' manual GTS? I know its highly option dependent of course but most of the posts are discounts % are based on new MSRP (10~15%) for a "new"-ish car sitting on the lot. Although I'm in a Houston, there are no cars specced to my liking in Texas (guess I fall into the OCD must-have-it-my-way), so I'll have to purchase out of state.
I promise you, the manuals are much more difficult to sell than the PDK. In the forums you hear a lot of hype around manual transmission but the main reason for that is that the few manual enthusiasts are contributing and one feels that there is a high demand. 2 years ago I bought a 2014 981 CPO with manual transmission and sport suspension in pristine condition. The initial price for the car was 42k. The car sat for several month at the lot of the dealer, no one wanted the car, mainly because of the manual transmission (this is what the sales person told me). I finally made a bid and got the car for 32k!!! Even today, after 2 years, the same CPO car would have had a value of 35-37 dollar.

All I want to tell you: If there is a car where you have lots of room to negotiate that it is a manual Boxster/Cayman, these cars sit significantly over average on the lot and the dealers are desperate to move these cars. Look nationwide and make aggressive offers over phone/email. I recommend to buy either new or CPO. Once you have a quote in writing, book a ticket and go to inspect the car. If everything is as expected, sign and drive/ship the car home.
The following 2 users liked this post by john981:
crazeazn (12-01-2019), Tyler85 (12-11-2019)
Old 12-01-2019 | 05:24 PM
k.alexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazeazn
Thanks for that. I read through this entire thread and was curious; how much wiggle room would I realistically be able to negotiate for a used 18' manual GTS? I know its highly option dependent of course but most of the posts are discounts % are based on new MSRP (10~15%) for a "new"-ish car sitting on the lot. Although I'm in a Houston, there are no cars specced to my liking in Texas (guess I fall into the OCD must-have-it-my-way), so I'll have to purchase out of state.
I just bought a 2018 GTS 6spd CPO with 7500 miles on it for 19% off sticker a week ago. I feel like if I didn’t rush it I could have knocked another $500-1000 off the price, but whatever. The same dealer, just a few miles from my house, has another 2018 GTS 6spd CPO with something like 4000 miles on it on the lot. If you’re interested or need help buying that car, PM me, I’ll be happy to help.
crazeazn (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019 | 05:33 PM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fantom
Just like your, or my, spouse....give it a couple of weeks and all your options, and non options, will be perfect, once you get used to them.

IMO, whatever PAG finally does with future Cayman offerings , your outstanding car will only go up in value.

Permagrin has set in.
No offense to the owner of the car, but curious what makes you think this car will go up in value? This is a car, not an investment. Why is this different than the 99.9% of other cars that depreciate?
k.alexander (12-01-2019)

Quick Reply: What is going on with the 718 market?