Sponsored by:

What is going on with the 718 market?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 03:02 PM
Dgkli
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
I don't know...$96k asking price (and also full MSRP) for an "new" leftover '19 CGTS " with 1,900 miles, and "less than full factory warranty period" is right up there with an new 6-cyl. Decisions...decisions.
I wasn't suggesting that that, in particular, was a good deal.

My own experience 2 months ago says that you can find a "true" new 2019 Boxster for a significant amount off MSRP. The above is, perhaps, a bit of chutzpah?.

No one asked me, but I think 10% off MSRP for a true new left over Boxster or Cayman is pretty easily doable. Some would say that's not a sufficient discount, and I have no opinion on that. But if you compare 10% off for a 4-cylinder now to MSRP for a 6-cylinder many months from now (or to 20-25% off for a very low mileage CPO....)

Old 07-30-2020, 03:03 PM
loneregister
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I am of the position that 10% off is not even close at the moment. Has anyone had experience with a new 718 that supports that?
Old 07-30-2020, 03:16 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgkli
I wasn't suggesting that that, in particular, was a good deal.

My own experience 2 months ago says that you can find a "true" new 2019 Boxster for a significant amount off MSRP. The above is, perhaps, a bit of chutzpah?.

No one asked me, but I think 10% off MSRP for a true new left over Boxster or Cayman is pretty easily doable. Some would say that's not a sufficient discount, and I have no opinion on that. But if you compare 10% off for a 4-cylinder now to MSRP for a 6-cylinder many months from now (or to 20-25% off for a very low mileage CPO....)

My bad, I stand corrected. Its not $96k, but $98.2k. The world has changed since COVID. Last year, leftover 718s were being offered, "to me", at $20k off, before I was even finished parking my car at the dealer, as I was cross shopping GTS and GT4...went with the heart, and sort of regret it...sometimes. If I was still looking for a GTS, I'd be heard pressed to pay the "adjusted" price at this time.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:19 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 124 Posts

This is re the 718 Cayman S.... I keep reading a lot of advice and opinion here about how people should take advantage of dealers desperation to sell the 718s and to hold out, play hard ball, etc. I've said it before and I say it again, my experience shopping actively across the country for 6 mos put the lie to this thinking. The best I could muster was to get dealers to come down around 4k+ on cars that were obviously overpriced (a couple of CPO 718 S models in the mid and high 60s). Generally, I found dealers to be pretty confident in their ability to sell these cars. While most would come down 1-2k+, several refused to budge at all telling me they know they will sell to the next guy, so while they would make a deal they felt was fair, they weren't terribly desperate. The car I bought was 2500 lower than MSRP, which was great. But what I gained in the dealer agreeing to that price I basically lost in shipping, taxes and fees. meaning for me it was a wash. So fine, no harm no foul. I am now seeing CPO 718 S models at MSRP well above where I saw them earlier this year. Maybe in a few years, when the next Cayman generation arrives, the 718s will indeed be the value buy in the true sense of that word. But I am quite happy with my torquey 350 HP 718 S. And the dealers out there seem to know that too.
The following 2 users liked this post by TahouHots:
BoxsirGTS18 (07-30-2020), Chester7 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 04:04 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

For folks comparing 718 base, S, and turbo GTS prices to shop, keep in mind that looking at inventory and prices for a CPO vs a brand new never purchased 2019 or even 2020 will be different. Reason being is because for the car brand new on the showroom floor, the dealer will have support from Porsche corporate to help sell the car such as with incentives and kickbacks, etc. For the CPO market, it depends on how the dealer acquired the CPO. For example, if they took it in from a trade in, I'm thinking most of these trade in CPO cars took place prior to Covid where the economy was booming. The dealers probably figured they could offer maybe a little more than they might have normally on a trade in if it meant getting a customer back in to say move from a base, S, GTS into a GT4, Spyder or even a more expensive Porsche. What they didn't know was that COVID would come and change everything so these dealers selling CPO can't and won't sell the used inventory at a lost. Now, I don't know if Porsche corporate ever subsidizes used cars in anyway but I've never heard of any corporate auto manufacturer offering kickbacks on used cars but I could be wrong.

So know that if you're looking to buy a used car, your discount will be determined by how much the dealer bought the car for, not necessarily what the market deems them to be worth. In other words, if they're pricing a used car for $96k but they took a trade in at $80k or $85k or $90k, I wouldn't expect them to come too far down because they want and need to make a profit on that used car.

Now me personally, I don't care what they purchased the used car for. If I were shopping for a used 718 and the car was priced at $96 with 1900 miles on the odometer and it's a 2019, I wouldn't even touch that car unless it had at least a 20% of a discount because it's now 2 years old going on 3 years old with 2021MY around the corner and if I was going to pay their asking price of $96k, I would simply look at a brand new car.

What I find interesting is that I when started getting serious about purchasing our car and I visited all of the dealers website, I was seeing brand new 2019 inventory and thinking this must be a mistake because we're in MY 2020 with MY 2021 right around the corner. I've had Toyota, Lexus and BMW previously and I've never seen 2 year old inventory going on 3 year old inventory before in a dealer's lot. Kind of threw me off but after discovering this website and reading through this thread and others, I see why there are 2019 inventory still brand new on the floor. As I've said, a dealer can want to sell a car at any price they want but metal isn't exchanging hands until someone agrees to their price or a buyer negotiates down the price to the buyer's liking. The dealer using the tactic to say that inventory is low is silly to me. It's the middle of 2020 going into MY 2021. Inventory for MY 2019 is supposed to be low. Frankly, there shouldn't be any MY 2019 inventory on the lot. Like i said, you buy a brand new 2019 from the showroom and drive it home and it's immediately a 2 year old car.

....while you're pumping gas....
-"That's beautiful car. What year is it?
-I love the Cayman/Boxster. When did you get it?
-1 week ago.
-Wait you bought a 2 year old car 1 week ago? Must have been a great deal?....
-........"

The other factor to consider when people are saying that the dealers aren't budging and holding firm on their pricing is that it's possible that the buyer doesn't have very good negotiating skills. I'm not trying to be rude but some should be honest with themselves and acknowledge that this is a possibility.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:06 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by TahouHots
This is re the 718 Cayman S.... I keep reading a lot of advice and opinion here about how people should take advantage of dealers desperation to sell the 718s and to hold out, play hard ball, etc. I've said it before and I say it again, my experience shopping actively across the country for 6 mos put the lie to this thinking...
Yup.

We are not in a normal world right now. (Duh!) Four(-ish) months of lost production has an effect. My local dealership is selling, mostly, just as many cars as they usually would. But, it’s used Porsches not a normal mix. It would seem that demand for Porsche sports cars is less effected than is the supply.

Allocations aren’t languishing. My expectation is that for about 8 months there won’t be a glut of new-production Porsche sports cars sitting on lots. Until that happens expect tough or non-existent negotiation.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:43 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

-........"

The other factor to consider when people are saying that the dealers aren't budging and holding firm on their pricing is that it's possible that the buyer doesn't have very good negotiating skills. I'm not trying to be rude but some should be honest with themselves and acknowledge that this is a possibility.[/QUOTE]

That could be true for sure, and for me. I guess my view on that is how firm am I willing to stand. In every case except one, I stood firm. Meaning, I walked away and forgot about the car. In only one case did I get the call back a few days later willing to come down lower -- and I still walked for other reasons. But at some point, it was clear to me that the price seemed to be settling in the 57k range at the bottom end for a low mile CPO 718 S and for me it wasn't worth trying to goose another couple of hundred because the odds are I would keep finding good cars and losing them for what amounts to pocket change. The absolute lowest I was able to negotiate on a 2017 718 S CPO with 25k miles and a great set of options was 56,500 out of a dealer in TX. I thought that was pretty decent. If I were seeing dealers willing to talk much lower than that, I would be telling you I bought a CPO 718 S with less than 10k miles for below 55k. Private sale or dealer used? Possibly. Dealer CPO, I seriously doubt it. Yeah, I could have done a bit better. But I don't feel like I over payed either given the avg prices I continue to see.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:46 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
Yup.

We are not in a normal world right now. (Duh!) Four(-ish) months of lost production has an effect. My local dealership is selling, mostly, just as many cars as they usually would. But, it’s used Porsches not a normal mix. It would seem that demand for Porsche sports cars is less effected than is the supply.

Allocations aren’t languishing. My expectation is that for about 8 months there won’t be a glut of new-production Porsche sports cars sitting on lots. Until that happens expect tough or non-existent negotiation.
I seem to recall reading somewhere -- forget where -- that Porsche is seeing a huge increase in demand for their used / CPO models from clientele who would otherwise be looking at brand new. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:07 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

-........"

The other factor to consider when people are saying that the dealers aren't budging and holding firm on their pricing is that it's possible that the buyer doesn't have very good negotiating skills. I'm not trying to be rude but some should be honest with themselves and acknowledge that this is a possibility.
That could be true for sure, and for me. I guess my view on that is how firm am I willing to stand. In every case except one, I stood firm. Meaning, I walked away and forgot about the car. In only one case did I get the call back a few days later willing to come down lower -- and I still walked for other reasons. But at some point, it was clear to me that the price seemed to be settling in the 57k range at the bottom end for a low mile CPO 718 S and for me it wasn't worth trying to goose another couple of hundred because the odds are I would keep finding good cars and losing them for what amounts to pocket change. The absolute lowest I was able to negotiate on a 2017 718 S CPO with 25k miles and a great set of options was 56,500 out of a dealer in TX. I thought that was pretty decent. If I were seeing dealers willing to talk much lower than that, I would be telling you I bought a CPO 718 S with less than 10k miles for below 55k. Private sale or dealer used? Possibly. Dealer CPO, I seriously doubt it. Yeah, I could have done a bit better. But I don't feel like I over payed either given the avg prices I continue to see.[/QUOTE]
Please don't take my comments for knocking on anybody. I'm simply sharing my opinion and that I believe people that are buying 718 inventory especially brand new 2019 inventory should be targeting a deep discount. At the end of the day, I'm not paying for your car purchase so you have to be comfortable with he purchase. If your research tells you that at the time of your car shopping, you feel that you did the best you could, then all the power to you and enjoy your car in good health.

Example is pre-COVID, GT4 and Spyders were going for $20k ADM. Some dealers are still trying to sell their allocations for this but I'd say that the market price for GT4 and Spyders are now MSRP and I'm comfortable paying that now. let's just say for argument sake that if something even more severe were to happen to our world in 6 months and the economy just collapsed, again let's just say that the GT4 and Spyder market price is $5k below MSRP. Would I be upset. I don't know if I would be upset. I would say that sucks because I paid MSRP but at the time of my car shopping, I feel like I got a fair price on the car and I'm happy with it.

If it makes you happy, enjoy it in good health. I'll repeat that I was mainly commenting on this thread to suggest to those that are shopping for a brand new 2019 base, S, or turbo GTS to look for a deep discount. If you don't agree with my argument that the 2019 inventory should be sold a t a discount and you're comfortable paying close to MSRP, then you should do what makes you happy because it's your money.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:18 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

Im not a guy who likes to pay for depreciation. I'll always buy CPO or recently used. But I hear you. In sense, we're talking apples and oranges. However if the point is to gauge the true accuracy of 718 pricing and the notion that it is destined to be a value play, I think my info is interesting.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:04 PM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Yup.

My expectation is that for about 8 months there won’t be a glut of new-production Porsche sports cars sitting on lots. Until that happens expect tough or non-existent negotiation.
^^ This, what's worse than taking a hit on a lot car? Having an empty lot. Dealers know without inventory they can't make money and they can't showcase a brand/model. Regardless of engine, having a 718 on hand will allow them to sell custom ordered cars and that is more valuable than selling a late model at a deep discount when they don't know when they will get another one. Until supply picks up dealers will hold what they have to get future orders and wait out for the MSRP guy if he comes along. I dare say many will do some small discounts if you want to buy now but not in the 20%+ range for old 'new' cars. I agree they are warranted but Porsche dealers, more than most brands, are a very patient group. If inventory remains in place by the end of the year and 2021 models start hitting the US the deep discounts may return but the remaining choices will be low.

Glad I bought mine late last year when the deals were in play, I'll take it in the shorts later this year when I trade it but at least only a glancing blow
Old 07-30-2020, 08:09 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckett76
^^ This, what's worse than taking a hit on a lot car? Having an empty lot. Dealers know without inventory they can't make money and they can't showcase a brand/model.
Good point; hadn’t thought of that angle.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:20 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,292 Likes on 777 Posts

But I am quite happy with my torquey 350 HP 718 S.
Funny how that is, at first I balked at even looking at one and then the dealer let me take one out for a while and I was quite smitten.

I find it FAR more engaging than my 991.2 around town and the back roads.

The layout is sublime.
The following 4 users liked this post by .2PDK:
BoxsirGTS18 (07-31-2020), Chester7 (07-31-2020), Vgj (07-31-2020), wdr911 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:56 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Funny how that is, at first I balked at even looking at one and then the dealer let me take one out for a while and I was quite smitten.

I find it FAR more engaging than my 991.2 around town and the back roads.

The layout is sublime.
Yep. My original plan was to get the 981, and while that is a great car, the larger torque range + more power and better overall tech in the 718 sold me. Have not regretted it at all. Great great car.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:07 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 569 Posts

https://main-line.porschedealer.com/...25b0ead12d.htm

Just a reference point, no dog in the fight as I bought my car 2 1/2 years ago at 6% off MSRP and plan on keeping for a long time. This is a high volume, good reputation dealer offering leftover never titled 40 mile 2019 car at about 15% discount.

Quick Reply: What is going on with the 718 market?