Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
You know I love me some radical. I also recently got the lotus 79, which is radik.
I have all content, but I know a lot of the new guys don't so I offer some basic content races for the new guys..
Old 02-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I've been using a full sim rig for a couple years now on Gran Turismo & Forza but finally made the jump to iRacing recently and had a couple questions to fellow Rennlisters. Its been refreshing to find a sim with the iRating tool to promote clean racing but I'm starting to get frustrated.

I understand how the system works and what I need to do to be at 4.0 rating by week 13, but keep getting punted, shunted, and wrecked by my fellow iRacers in the lower starting license and can't seem to make forward progress.

I know there will always be a possibility of contact to lower your rating, but was wondering if you guys had any tips to get out of D license and start driving with iRacers more focused on keeping their rating up?

Any other tips to a new-comer are greatly appreciated. Getting the hang of the UI but still not super comfortable with it yet.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I have all content, but I know a lot of the new guys don't so I offer some basic content races for the new guys..
I realized that right after I posted what I posted. Actually, I think if I look back to like 1 year before, I would see me asking asking for more basic races. Excellent point of course.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:55 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phi1720
Hi Guys,

I've been using a full sim rig for a couple years now on Gran Turismo & Forza but finally made the jump to iRacing recently and had a couple questions to fellow Rennlisters. Its been refreshing to find a sim with the iRating tool to promote clean racing but am starting to get frustrated.

I understand how the system works and what I need to do to be at 4.0 rating by week 13, but keep getting punted, shunted, and wrecked by my fellow iRacers in the lower starting license and can't seem to make forward progress.

I know there will always be a possibility of contact to lower your rating, but was wondering if you guys had any tips to get out of D license and start driving with iRacers more focused on keeping their rating up.

Any other tips to a new-comer are greatly appreciated. Getting the hang of the UI but still not super comfortable with it yet.

Thanks!
one thing I've found is racing during "prime time" (7-10pm) greatly increases your odds of being taken out by noobs.

things get much better as you progress out of R and D-class and move into C and above. people there generally know how to race
Old 02-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Phi1720
Hi Guys,

I've been using a full sim rig for a couple years now on Gran Turismo & Forza but finally made the jump to iRacing recently and had a couple questions to fellow Rennlisters. Its been refreshing to find a sim with the iRating tool to promote clean racing but I'm starting to get frustrated.

I know there will always be a possibility of contact to lower your rating, but was wondering if you guys had any tips to get out of D license and start driving with iRacers more focused on keeping their rating up.

Thanks!
Scott, I wouldn't stress out about it. All you need to get out of D is 4 qualifying full races and a 3.0+ SR. You can crank out the 3.0SR easily by running like 3 or 4 races at lime rock in the mx-5 cup and just run in the back and not stress out about winning.

One thing to note is that if you SR is below 2.0 you get a license demotion at the 13th week turn (I did not know that). I think I was up to a B license, but much like you, I do this for fun and my SR goes way down because I get wrecked and quit races. Now I am closed out from a bunch of series which is kinda weak.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
I realized that right after I posted what I posted. Actually, I think if I look back to like 1 year before, I would see me asking asking for more basic races. Excellent point of course.
for the record, here's what we've done thus far (apologies for the poor format, hard to indent/tab in v-bulletin)

Mid-Ohio Miata
Barber Miata
Sebring DP
Watkins Glen Boot IndyCar
Irwindale Late Model
Mid-Ohio Jetta
Lime Rock Mustang
Road Atlanta C6R
Okayama Miata
VIR Star Mazda
Indianapolis IndyCar
Silverstone Star Mazda
Watkins Glen Cup Impala B
Texas IndyCar
Zandvoort Star Mazda
Road America Lotus 79
Sebring LMP
Lime Rock Miata
Spa F1
Summit Point Radical
Suzuka Star Mazda
Brands Hatch Indy Miata
Philip Island DP
Road Atlanta LMP
Watkins Glen Boot Ford GT
Lanier Late Model
Okayama IndyCar
Oulton Park Star Mazda
Road Atlanta Jetta
Road America F1
Lime Rock Miata
Watkins Glen Cup Miata
Road Atlanta Radical
Mosport LMP
Daytona Road DP & Mustang
Infineon Star Mazda
Mid Ohio Mustang
Laguna Seca Radical
Suzuka LMP
Summit Point SRF
Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
ajenks144
Instructor

No worries Guy, i'd rather have it happen in iRacing than at the PCA Club Race! I think the "trick" to driving the SRF relatively quick (in iRacing) is to keep the car balanced with left foot braking. I can keep my throttle planted from T3 on and just LFB into T4 and she stays stable. If I try and balance the car with just my right foot it's a lot more squirrley. In my 911 a light lift settles the car so it isn't all that different. I'm just sorry Andy J. lost it so early as he is a force to be reckoned with it seems!
I was looking forward to a fun battle but tried taking the inside line into 1 too fast and looped it. Glad the field got by safe. Then I was a man on a mission and put it in the wall a couple times. Next time!

Andy
Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM
ajenks144
Instructor

The RL Rookies are mostly new and as you guys put up a race using the standard tracks tonight it seemed like a good idea to join up as the more the merrier. Our next race was going to be WGI (full w/chicane), I like the DP car there and I don't think many would object to that. Fixed setup keeps it simple as one persons hot setup may be nasty to another.. Just my $.02
+1 DP at the Glen would be fun!!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:06 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm guessing nobody else is having issues with iRacing after the latest update?

Everything works fine until I go to launch the simulator to actually race, then it times out and won't launch and gives an error message.

Found a couple related topics on the forum but my first attempt to fix did not resolve the issue.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 AM
ajenks144
Instructor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

Everything works fine until I go to launch the simulator to actually race, then it times out and won't launch and gives an error message.

Found a couple related topics on the forum but my first attempt to fix did not resolve the issue.
The two things that seemed to work for people are:

1. Manually start the iRacing Simulator from your Programs Folder.
2. Reinstall iRacing (sounds painful).

Good luck.

Andy
Old 02-02-2012, 01:22 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

Originally Posted by ajenks144
The two things that seemed to work for people are:

1. Manually start the iRacing Simulator from your Programs Folder.
2. Reinstall iRacing (sounds painful).

Good luck.

Andy
I haven't had this issue...and I have iracing installed on six different PC's (4 simulators, 1 server, and my desktop).

how common is that issue?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 PM
NoQuarter
Rennlist Member

I got hammered on Week 1 of the Indy Ovals...I spent the entire 2011-S4 practicing, ghosting and running time trials, just to learn the car.

Four races over the weekend, including one Fixed this evening and in all 4 got taken out by people who must have thought , "I think I'll try an Indy Oval, it looks easy!"

It ain't. You have to practice, and in traffic. Yes, there's a lot of grip compared to the NASCAR ovals, but the aero is way more sensitive, not to mention the speeds are way faster, up to 220 mph. **** happens fast...

So, yeah, it's annoying to put a lot of time into honing race craft and car craft, just to be taken out by idiots driving over their heads.

*le sigh*

What are you guys doing tomorrow night?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
What are you guys doing tomorrow night?
you mean Wed night?

open to suggestions...although I thought the F1 car at the Indy road course might be interesting.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 PM
NoQuarter
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Wednesday...

I'm game for anything. The Williams is a blast at Indy, but can be a handful...did I read above that there are some rookie-ish drivers joining the fun?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

+2 dp @ glen

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread