Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:35 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Thanks!

Having had James Clay attend his first DE (?!?!?) in 1997 at Roebling Road where I was Chief Instructor, it was fun to try and talk him around a "synthetic" iRacing drive. Like many folks, he found the learning curve steep and it was difficult to train his eyes to recognize how quick he was going in the sim until it was too late! Most folks, if they stick it out, get to grips pretty well with it, even without motion.

Other folks, especially the younger crowd, have leveraged this as an incredibly valuable training tool. An extension of what they have been doing, it comes naturally. Tom Long is a good example. But, some of the best sim coaching I've gotten was from oldsters Barry Waddell and Divina Galica... Don't count the old folks out, yet!

Where I find it incredibly useful is online, one-on-one training or at my facility at VIR. Drivers will reserve time (generally a two or three hour block) and we will "meet" in a privately hosted session where we can do lead-follow, stop at corner entries, study topography (almost a virtual track walk) and really get to know the track.

I recently had a fellow from Maryland (who did 1:22's at Road Atlanta in real life and in his 1000cc Stohr DSR) come down to VIR for a "freshen-up." When he was done, he confided that he had not seen dozens of landmarks I had been able to point out to him. Three weeks later, he broke 1:20 in qualifying at the track, in his car! Amazing...

It's a great deal and I am eternally grateful to John Henry and Dave Kaemmer for spending the money, assembling the team to put it together and to distribute it digitally for everyone to learn and enjoy! Not sure how they make money, but they're still here! Hopefully, we'll get New Jersey and a few others soon. It's great fun to race with pros like Justin Wilson and Darren Turner, too.
I learned Willow Springs (on, err....that "other" racing sim platform ) in a Lotus Exige Cup car; then I drove my Elise at a NASA track day a few days later. the chief instructor was amazed that I had never been there before and learned the track on a sim.

I did the same with Laguna Seca on iracing (in the MX5) before doing a track day in the Elise.

I brushed up on Autobahn's full course (again in rfactor) before returning there for a track day this summer with a friend's Caterham.

it really does help with reference points and rhythm. basically, it saves you a session or two of stumbling around a new track if you're learning, or gives you the seat time you need to focus on gaining those last few tenths at a track you know well.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
it really does help with reference points and rhythm. basically, it saves you a session or two of stumbling around a new track if you're learning, or gives you the seat time you need to focus on gaining those last few tenths at a track you know well.
Bingo!

I studied on rFactor before going to Barber for the first time shortly after it opened in 2003. Qualified upper mid-pack in real life and won the race overall! Really helped in the Museum turns (7-8-9).

LRP is my favorite, but prepared on iRacing before going back in 2009 after the last race there in 2003. Qualified top four (giving away 100+ hp) and got down to :53 flat in the real car quickly (record is :52.4 and the SCCA National winner three weeks before had done a :53.7!), all thanks to iRacing!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Thought I'd throw out a post asking for troubleshooting ideas / help.

I use a laptop to run iRacing. Gaming laptop with a good processor and nvidia GTX 250m graphics card. Last year I had some issues with it and found two issues, computer was getting hot and we had some other things running on the laptop that were really using up resources.

It's been fine for the last 8 weeks, leading the points in my division of the Mustang's right now and no issues in that time.

I moved the laptop over the weekend, it went into sleep mode and gave me a few errors when I brought it out of sleep mode. Since then iRacing won't run for anything. I get a max of 12 frames per second and that's AFTER changing my graphics settings to maximize frame rate.

I've double and triple checked to make sure I've got everything else shut down that doesn't need to be. I've deleted and re-installed the graphics card drivers, re-installed iRacing, Checked internet speed (18meg download speed), temps are OK according to diagnostics, I have no clue what is causing this but it's frusrtating. I spent all day yesterday trying to get it running well to no avail.

I can basically get one warmup lap in and no matter what track can't complete a second lap before the computer starts to chug along and my frame rate goes to 0. Just not sure what else to possibly try at this point.

Andy
Old 01-03-2012, 03:59 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Double check your memory sliders in the iracing options. Also check your .ini files to make sure nothing got screwed up in there.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I *think* I have the issues solved with my PC, details on tonight?

Andy
Old 01-04-2012, 04:57 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Special Note:

Today is the first race of the new year and new day (Wednesdays).

We have also changed the name of the race: CXC Simulations Racing League

Race Details:

Car: Star Mazda

Track: Infineon Raceway - Long

Setup: Open

Here is how you join:

Sign in the Hosted Section of iRacing's website.

Session Name: CXC Simulations Racing League

Password: mrroblay

Day: Every Wednesday

Practice: 7:30 pm EST (4:30 PST)

Qualifying: 8:30 pm EST (5:30 PST)

Race: 9:00 pm EST (6:00 PST)
Old 01-04-2012, 05:57 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

I have (and will be sharing!) a very drivable setup for tonight's race.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Bah! One of my favorite combos and I can't make it... Wife's birthday dinner and I have the good sense not to screw that up.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:03 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
Bah! One of my favorite combos and I can't make it... Wife's birthday dinner and I have the good sense not to screw that up.
Oh, thank god. I might have a chance!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CXC Simulations
Oh, thank god. I might have a chance!
LOL!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:38 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will try to make it. I'm OK in the Star Mazda, but I suck at Infineon in ANY car.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:10 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

My computer problems continued last night so I decided not to particpate. When it starts to chug it's pretty much a guarantee I go off and crash with frame rate < 10fps which is no fun for anyone around me.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:57 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

today's CXC Simulations Iracing League Race will be the Mustang at Mid-Ohio, fixed setup.

see you guys there!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:28 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Sounds good. I struggle with setup for that car, so I'm happy to see the fixed setup.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

not a fan of fixed, setup on mustang's are all over the board.

using Chicane before the Keyhole or no?

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread