Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 03:13 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Three owners wouldn't bother me...the wrap might because I would want to know the condition of the paint underneath.
Exactly. I would personally be extremely wary of purchasing a wrapped car...

Also, every 'pro' who wraps cars claims that they would never let the knife touch the paint when trimming out a car. Yet I've seen many pro-wraps that after removal, sure enough have some cut lines in the clearcoat. You will never know until it is removed.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:52 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's an interesting car with high miles but CPO so good if it is just a weekend toy.
4S Cab with manual trans, full leather, SC, etc. May be flexible on price since it is a Florida dealership and we are getting to the warm weather.

http://www.porschewestbroward.com/de...-16038553.html
Old 03-21-2017, 09:57 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by STEK-USA
PDK might be lazy in normal mode but perks up in Sport. To "daily drive" in Sports+ in auto mode is a non-starter for me and probably others. Any style of driving I've tried makes no difference - the engine holds each gear to almost redline and downshifts at 3500-4000 rpm. Now Sports+ in manual mode is another story. Pure fun. Although you might want to turn off the stiffer PASM setting if you're not on track or driving in a spirited fashion. I've used Sport+ auto on driving skills days and on small auto cross and it is really amazing. My 3 cents worth.
Well, to derail from the bickering...

I only always drive automatics in manual mode, even PDK cars, unless I do autocross. I am really not concerned about the shift point change from s+. If on the other hand the throttle response is ruined by putting most of it in the first millimeters of pedal movement, that's not good.

The PASM setting. Sport is not "stiffer". There is a complex, and almost completely undocumented, set of things happening when in sport mode. Namely individual wheel response gets softer, not harder, because that increase grip over small bumps (both curves and traction). Body roll is controlled in a way that will usually make people perceive sport as harder, though. Comfort mode is substantially harder when hitting a bump, so that the body doesn't start moving, which would be perceived as uncomfortable because it also has to go back later. In sport mode the body is allowed to follow the surface more closely, again the intent is to hug it better to be in a better position to have pressure on the wheels so that the tires have friction. To the user that is perceived as hard, repeated body movement.

Summary is that I'm not comfortable with so much undocumented software doing random things to my wheels. And even if I reverse engineer what is happening in more detail - then I am not given nearly enough control to pick the parts I want or do not want.

Maybe I need a base 991.1...
Old 03-21-2017, 10:01 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jerry991
Here's an interesting car with high miles but CPO so good if it is just a weekend toy.
4S Cab with manual trans, full leather, SC, etc. May be flexible on price since it is a Florida dealership and we are getting to the warm weather.

http://www.porschewestbroward.com/de...-16038553.html
I had previously rated that as too expensive and the pictures look to me like the beige on the seats is discolored.

It ticks a lot of boxes up to PDCC, though.

More pics in ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Porsche...FY0HD1&vxp=mtr
Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
I had previously rated that as too expensive and the pictures look to me like the beige on the seats is discolored.

It ticks a lot of boxes up to pdcc, though.

45K miles and $95K Really, for 45K miles. I could see if it had 5K. Should be an $80K car.

Shocked at some of these asking prices. These are the ones when doing searches I shake my head at and say "next".
Old 03-21-2017, 10:07 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pfbz
Exactly. I would personally be extremely wary of purchasing a wrapped car...

Also, every 'pro' who wraps cars claims that they would never let the knife touch the paint when trimming out a car. Yet I've seen many pro-wraps that after removal, sure enough have some cut lines in the clearcoat. You will never know until it is removed.
And there is also no guarantee that taking the wrap off doesn't do damage on its own.

There are strict lifetime limits on the vinyl, after which the glue does random things. You can easily take off a chunk of clear coat in some tight corner. Especially if the wrap had extensive exposure to extreme temperatures.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:10 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STG
^^^^ Yes, once in a while you can find GOLD in CA!!
The funny thing is that most of the cars I like (verts, Spyders, Boxster GTS) are either in CA or near CA (NV, AZ).

I wanted to take a road trip getting one of them back to Bahston, but the wife says for logistical reasons it would be easier to move to San Diego instead
Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by squid42
The funny thing is that most of the cars I like (verts, Spyders, Boxster GTS) are either in CA or near CA (NV, AZ).

I wanted to take a road trip getting one of them back to Bahston, but the wife says for logistical reasons it would be easier to move to San Diego instead

Makes sense. Huge Porsche markets. CA being # 1. Along with that, higher $$$'s. I'll let the CA guys comment. Most CA guys buy out of state here and "import" them
Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Here is an Ebay listing from a private party. Person seems a little clumsy selling it but looks like a good car:

$64500 @ 20700 miles, down from $107080 msrp

Attractions include: natural leather, manual, 14-ways with premium package plus (vented seats etc) and satin platinum CS wheels. NO PASM

Disattractions: no performance options of any kind (no PSE, SC, S model, plus seats). Power Steering Plus. I think this car does not have any subwoofer audio, not even Bose. No warranty. Ugly steering wheel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Porsche...lYs4lI&vxp=mtr

Old 03-21-2017, 11:08 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Makes sense. Huge Porsche markets. CA being # 1. Along with that, higher $$$'s. I'll let the CA guys comment. Most CA guys buy out of state here and "import" them
We are the lurkers who wait for STG's approval and ship the money right away

Kidding aside, we all know what is the value point of a preowned CPO car. It is just there are more people with the means to buy. I count 7 dealers within a 50 miles radius
Old 03-21-2017, 11:32 AM
brucebca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

I am in SoCal and purchased from east coast. Mostly because the car came up here with a nice price and it checked all the boxes for me so I jumped on it.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:03 PM
STG
Race Director

We could talk about overpriced cars all day. They can't even put on a front bumper spoiler lip on.

Attachment 1147224Attachment 1147223

What we find here are cars that have a balance of value, great builds, and well taken car of. At the end of he day, the buyer has the last say. Our track record here with closed deals by HFS followers has been pretty darn good. It's all in the history here and well documented. Also in the HFS ALUMNI thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9671...-car-buys.html

Those that "get it", do their homework here, are patient, and eventually find their cars whether finding it here or on their own. It's a simple formula and one that only requires ones time investment. Like I've said, there's no tuition here and and education is free. MANY guys here offer their FREE unselfish pro bono help here to help fellow Rennlisters. Enough said ...
Old 03-21-2017, 01:24 PM
pcarmanwithans
Advanced

Default I am considering a 2013-14 991S2 coupe

I've got $80k for a used 911. I've zeroed in on a 2013-14 991S2 coupe. It will be my first Porsche. (Dad owned several.) I want a relatively no hassle 911 that responds to adequate care. I do not want a garage queen but it must be clean. I'm even open to something other than a 991 as no door is closed at this point.

Would love to know your thoughts on this purchase:
Here's where i stand on this purchase right now. There are 2014 models that are not as clean with 20,000 miles give or take going for around $80k - 82k. The one I am considering is about same price but 1 year older but less miles. None CPO though.

This is the car:

Privately sold 2013 Carrera S black on black $79,450 FIRM (plus $6k in taxes)
$118k sticker
3,400 miles (super clean "perfect")
OPTIONS:
Prem package with 14 way seats
sport chrono package
Bose audio package
PASM sport suspension
Sport exhaust system
PDK
20" Carrera classic wheel
sunroof in glass
sport design steering wheel

NO WARRANTY.
Has last receipt for oil change 1 year ago at 3152 miles. It shows that he checked a TPMS warning light (tire pressure?) and was given a cursory inspection (brakes, belts, hoses, leaks, underbody for damage, checked TPMS, battery, wipers, driveshaft, axles) that came up clean. (It only had 3k miles.) Now it has 400 more miles. Oil was changed again 4 months ago. He's a bit of a car collector and has several low mile cars on hand.

Also considering the 7-speed manual, which is what I originally wanted until I was overwhelmed by pro-PDK opinions.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:49 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 206 Posts

Don't know if this was posted but saw this 2014 S cab for $67.9k at Carmax. Low on options but price seems really good and you can buy an extended warranty from Carmax:

https://www.carmax.com/car/14297354

Porsche dealer would probably list this for $80-85k with CPO?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:03 PM
coopmike
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beaudawg
I've decided to keep looking, so hopefully another HFS'er can swoop in and pick up this car. No issues found with the vehicle, my heart just couldn't settle for Agate Grey (no offense intended).

VIN: WP0AB2A96CS122202
Dealer: Audi Denver

I spoke with Ryan Vanyi at Audi Denver much of the day, and he was very responsive and helpful. Would be happy to hear that one of you buys the car from him. Based on pictures he sent, the car is PRISTINE inside and out.

Sold last night... not to me.

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991