Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monitoring pad wear

Curious how you guys monitor pad wear? Any ingenious measuring devices used? I'm trying to figure out best practice. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I got my Necksgen earlier this week, attached to my helmet, and ready to go!

Originally Posted by Bartron
Curious how you guys monitor pad wear? Any ingenious measuring devices used? I'm trying to figure out best practice. Thanks.
Nothing fancy. Just visual inspection. My pad sensors are zip tied away because they make pad changes a pita.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:14 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Finally just changed my front brake pads yesterday. Wow, that was probably the most annoying thing I have ever tried to do on a car. Joe, how did you deal with the silly bracket on the back holding the caliper lines in place? It was a pain the *** to loosen, still gave me minimal room to work, and was bent out of shape when done. I did finally get them back on, but it seems unhealthy for the part to put that much stress on it? Why did Porsche do this? Between the center lock and this, it feels like Porsche really has no idea how people use their cars...
Just did the same. In summary, it's very likely that my neighbours now think I'm abusing my family. My patience run out and had an impromptu monologue with the bracket that holds the brake line (aka "little useless piece of ****").

I am used to closed calipers. In fact, my alcons had closed caliper with a locking pin that needed to be pressed out every time and was a nightmare to put back in (I even considered dipping it in liquid nitrogen so that it would shrink). But it normally took me 35 mins to do front calipers. Porsche caliper actually more user-friendly - no pin and the spring does not catapult itself out when you touch pads.

But it took me over 2 hours on Porsche (but that includes moving around cars and two showers I needed to take because of the silver paste).

It's BAD. Especially the first time. Second wheel was better because I figured some things out. But this bracket is such a bad design. It helps to 1) remove the bracket before unbolting the caliper; 2) turn the wheel so that th bracket bolt you are working on faces towards you - then you do not need to stick your head into wheel well.

Anyway, not something I look forward to doing again.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:18 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
I just stick a fingernail between the backing plate and rotor. If it fits, there is still material left. If not - replace pads. And then there is that special metallic screech that let's you know it's getting critical.

(It's a joke, NOT a recommended approach! )
Old 05-31-2015, 01:39 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Just did the same. In summary, it's very likely that my neighbours now think I'm abusing my family. My patience run out and had an impromptu monologue with the bracket that holds the brake line (aka "little useless piece of ****").

I am used to closed calipers. In fact, my alcons had closed caliper with a locking pin that needed to be pressed out every time and was a nightmare to put back in (I even considered dipping it in liquid nitrogen so that it would shrink). But it normally took me 35 mins to do front calipers. Porsche caliper actually more user-friendly - no pin and the spring does not catapult itself out when you touch pads.

But it took me over 2 hours on Porsche (but that includes moving around cars and two showers I needed to take because of the silver paste).

It's BAD. Especially the first time. Second wheel was better because I figured some things out. But this bracket is such a bad design. It helps to 1) remove the bracket before unbolting the caliper; 2) turn the wheel so that th bracket bolt you are working on faces towards you - then you do not need to stick your head into wheel well.

Anyway, not something I look forward to doing again.
Max, now you have felt the pain.
LOL on having to take a shower twice to get that paste off of you. Next time cover the hub with a plastic bag. That crap gets EVERYWHERE.

It really is the brake line bracket that turns this into a difficult job. One of these days I'm going to end up stripping the threads....
Old 06-01-2015, 12:57 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Max, now you have felt the pain.
LOL on having to take a shower twice to get that paste off of you. Next time cover the hub with a plastic bag. That crap gets EVERYWHERE.

It really is the brake line bracket that turns this into a difficult job. One of these days I'm going to end up stripping the threads....
Do you guys think there is an opportunity here to design a new bracket that is easier to remove but still does the same job?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Do you guys think there is an opportunity here to design a new bracket that is easier to remove but still does the same job?
Yes. I also wonder if switching the hard line that goes into caliper into a flexible one is an alternative as well.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:55 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone else going to HOD @ Thunderhill 5-mile this weekend?
Old 06-04-2015, 12:48 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

No one? Looks like it's going to be 97° on Sunday, and maybe even hotter next Friday. I guess this is just about the end of the season at Thunderhill.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default Orthojoe's track build journal

No one? Looks like it's going to be 97° on Sunday, and maybe even hotter next Friday. I guess this is just about the end of the season at Thunderhill.
Championship little league game for my kid this weekend! No way I'm missing that! :-)

Yeah, hot weather is starting to roll in...
Old 06-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone else going to HOD @ Thunderhill 5-mile this weekend?
I'll be there for the Saturday only. First ever time at TH and, in fact, first ever track day in a car!! I'm very excited whilst poo'ing myself at the same time!!
I'm also not looking fwd to mid 90's and having the windows wide open. I do have my Fabspeed wind deflectors ready to go if I manage to hit speeds that induce the dreaded "noise".
Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
I'll be there for the Saturday only. First ever time at TH and, in fact, first ever track day in a car!! I'm very excited whilst poo'ing myself at the same time!!
I'm also not looking fwd to mid 90's and having the windows wide open. I do have my Fabspeed wind deflectors ready to go if I manage to hit speeds that induce the dreaded "noise".
I'd be pretty hard not to hit that speed on the front straight. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2015, 05:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
IF? You will for sure. Just install them and thank me later! Have fun!
Old 06-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Not me... saving my pennies for Joe'$ event!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Not me... saving my pennies for Joe'$ event!
Lol! It'll be well worth every penny!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal