Notices

SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?

Old 08-05-2018, 01:47 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

The supply of good driving roads in the Bay Area is finite.

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Thread's been kinda quite for a little while. Does anyone have any new roads to recommend adding to the list?

Thanks.

Karl.

PS: And now a completely unnecessary & gratuitous pic from my Sunday morning run on Hwy-9 (earlier today)...

Old 08-05-2018, 02:14 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
The supply of good driving roads in the Bay Area is finite.
Very true of course, but there maybe a few gems out there that still haven’t been listed.

For example, I suspect there’s roads in the Marin Headlands that could be recommended by someone in the know, but have yet to be mentioned here. I think the Excellence Magazine test-loop happens up there (e.g. #1 and #2), but I can’t figure out exactly where they run (and I even straight out asked Pete Stout, but he declined to share, which I understand).

Another example is that Steve Dinan had a specific test-route somewhere near their old Engineering site in Morgan Hill (when he was still with that company). Supposedly he’d run new setups/parts/etc. under development on that route, and then sign off if it passed muster. I’d be interested in knowing that one as well.

So there’s probably a few more roads out there that could be captured here.

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 08-05-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:47 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I’d probably be a lot more excited about Marin if I didn’t have to drive through SF to get there. An $8 bridge toll doesn’t help.

That route you drove, Hwy 9, is a main artery that connects with almost every other road in the area, but a lot those roads are rough and not worth risking vehicle damage on. Out of Boulder Creek you can go up a paved logging road to Camp Cutter in Big Basin, it’s a hell of a cool drive... in my F150.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:09 AM
cvtuttle
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 8 Posts

This is an amazing thread and something I had been looking for. As a fairly new member to the forum (about 1 year) I really appreciate it.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:02 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Very true of course, but there maybe a few gems out there that still haven’t been listed.

For example, I suspect there’s roads in the Marin Headlands that could be recommended by someone in the know, but have yet to be mentioned here. I think the Excellence Magazine test-loop happens up there (e.g. #1 and #2), but I can’t figure out exactly where they run (and I even straight out asked Pete Stout, but he declined to share, which I understand).

Another example is that Steve Dinan had a specific test-route somewhere near their old Engineering site in Morgan Hill (when he was still with that company). Supposedly he’d run new setups/parts/etc. under development on that route, and then sign off if it passed muster. I’d be interested in knowing that one as well.

So there’s probably a few more roads out there that could be captured here.

Karl.
Karl, there are no roads in the Marin Headlands worth riding. The only one up on Mt. Tam that may be unknown to anyone but some of us locals is the one that begins to head up to the top of Mt Tam and then turns off to the north and ends up back down on Shoreline @Bolinas. The road is not in that great of condition and can be wet and full of pine needles, but it attracts very few cars and oftentimes, more bikes than cars. It is also quite different is both directions; my preference is heading up from Bolinas.

I believe that the portion of the road in the state park is only open during daylight hours so it is best to check when the gates are opened.

(Unsure why the image was populated into your original post but the current IB image up-loader sucks.)
Old 08-18-2018, 06:55 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by david
...The only one up on Mt. Tam that may be unknown to anyone but some of us locals is the one that begins to head up to the top of Mt Tam and then turns off to the north and ends up back down on Shoreline @Bolinas. The road is not in that great of condition and can be wet and full of pine needles, but it attracts very few cars and oftentimes, more bikes than cars. It is also quite different is both directions; my preference is heading up from Bolinas...
Thanks David. I've added it to the top post as follows:
Karl.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:21 PM
niacin
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So y'all know, and don't find out by surprise like I did yesterday, 1 just south of Valley Ford Road and north of Fallon is down to a single lane with a timed stoplight, and it takes about thirty minutes to get through it.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:06 PM
archizzzz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had some fun this weekend taking rte 29 north from calistoga towards clear lake tight hill climb
Old 08-26-2018, 08:55 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by archizzzz
i had some fun this weekend taking rte 29 north from calistoga towards clear lake tight hill climb
Thanks. I've added it to the top post as follows. Let me know if I haven't captured it correctly...

North Bay
Karl.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:57 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Separate note...

I've re-organized the top post to group the roads by region as follows:
  • North Bay
  • East Bay
  • South Bay / Santa Clara County
  • Santa Cruz Mountains & County
  • Peninsula / San Mateo County
  • Points further South & East of the SF Bay Area

I think it helps with readability.

Karl.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:05 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 89 Posts

Good job! Thanks
Old 09-09-2018, 07:58 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Added the following to the top post...

North Bay
East Bay
Karl.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Hit a new one today with some air cooled guys: Limataur Loop from Pt Reyes Station to Limataur beach. Its my new local fav. No cars early in the morning, combo of twisties and straights, mostly good road and an amazing view as you come down the hill towards the beach. Its a 40 minute loop from Pt Reyes station but worth stopping at the beach
Old 09-10-2018, 09:38 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Added the following to the top post...

[SIZE="3"]North Bay[/SIZE]Karl.
Karl: thanks so much for the update!

phuonger: do you have any recon as to the pavement quality of Mountain View Rd???

Edit: belay the Q re Mt View Rd: I've driven it in a CD and it was a blast in that vehicle but I determined that the C4S would not go there due to road quality & debris (when I visited).

Last edited by david; 09-10-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: edit
Old 09-10-2018, 01:52 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
...from Pt Reyes Station to Limataur beach. Its my new local fav. No cars early in the morning, combo of twisties and straights, mostly good road and an amazing view as you come down the hill towards the beach...
Hi Bruce,

Does this capture it correctly?

https://goo.gl/maps/YtHLWei8Evn

Thanks.

Karl.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?