Notices

SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 09:59 PM
leov
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I run Bay Area Group Drives on Facebook ( www.facebook.com/groups/BayAreaGroupDrives )

I organize drives roughly twice a month.

All the routes start within an hour of San Francisco ( I live there) and have a convenient start and end point.

Routes are a mixing of cruising and spirited twisties

We usually have anywhere from 12 to 30 cars come out.

We start early, leaving no later than 7:30am. This avoids the bulk of bicyclists, local traffic and is usually around the time that CHP and Sherrifs have their shift change

Come join the group and come out with us!
Old 10-07-2022, 10:55 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by CAinCA
Day / Watsonville / Uvas / McKean - https://goo.gl/maps/BbtN8skBJYFqW9Up8

This is my evening drive. The traffic isn't bad if you're going opposite the commute. Not great on weekends though.

Sorry for being so late getting back to this. I see your post is very similar to this previously posted route:

South Bay / Santa Clara County
  • Bailey / McKean / Uvas / Watsonville Rd. to Hwy-152 - https://goo.gl/maps/EfJSBsi9ksL2 (~17 miles)
    • Starts near the IBM Research Lab in Almaden, and continues down to the Hecker Pass Hwy (152)
    • Road surface is more bumpy than expected (though not terrible), and the work rate (i.e. number of corners) is low
    • Upside is that once you get down to Hwy-152, you're near the start of the quite excellent Hecker Pass in Santa Cruz County
    • So it's a decent, but not great back road...

Originally Posted by leov
I run Bay Area Group Drives on Facebook ( www.facebook.com/groups/BayAreaGroupDrives )
Added that under...

PS: Other sites with similar information/recommendations...

Karl.
The following users liked this post:
CAinCA (12-05-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 12:28 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Rory Reid (ex Top Gear, now with AutoTrader UK) reviews a C8 Corvette in the following video:

But can anyone spot anything that says it was shot on the other side of Mt. Hamilton?

I don't know that side as well as the San Jose side...

Thanks.

Karl.

PS: At the 10:27 mark, he says the C8 has a 7-speed PDK... it's actually an 8-speed Tremec...

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 11-10-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 07:04 PM
tkurban
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just want to say thank you for keeping this updated. I ride motorcycle and in my search for good road around san jose I found this forum. Excited to try out some of the recommended places!
wjk_glynn (11-20-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 06:58 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
But can anyone spot anything that says it was shot on the other side of Mt. Hamilton?

I don't know that side as well as the San Jose side...

Haven't heard otherwise, hence added it to the top post as follows...

• Mt Hamilton Rd to Lick Observatory (starting at Clayton Rd.) - https://goo.gl/maps/5SZtntEdyYy (~16 miles)
    • Great hill climb up to the telescopes at Lick Observatory, and has even been referenced in professional articles/features:
    • Others think the back-side of Mines Rd. to Lick Observatory (from Livermore) is even better
      • See East Bay section above...

UPDATE: Found the spot where he does the external walk-around. That starts at the 5m10s mark in the video.

The location is here: https://goo.gl/maps/AEBhHNsn5vNduJWQ8

And a pic at the same spot from this morning...

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 11-27-2022 at 04:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by wjk_glynn:
CAinCA (12-05-2022), ducktails (10-17-2023), yc2986 (05-22-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 03:47 AM
Sharkiez
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

People in Highway 17 always drive like idiots. Idk what about that semi-winding road that bring out the worst driving / speeding habits in people. That's also one of the most heavily patrolled highway up here.
Old 10-16-2023, 02:52 PM
phuonger
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update requested-

theres two drives for the Need for Speed sequence, on in SF northbay and one in points further away from SF.

Suggested to keep the google link that ducktails provided with the forced waypoints at MVR is rough
Old 03-23-2024, 06:01 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ollie Kew from Top Gear has been reviewing some cars here in the Bay Area.

In the following, you'll see scenes at Alice's Restaurant, Sempervirens Point, La Honda, Laguna Seca, etc.

Karl.
Old 03-24-2024, 01:14 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Friday and Saturday, had the pleasure of running some of these roads with my good friend david. We started by driving Skyline all the way to 17, then down to Hollister and Hwy 25, 198 to 33. We took 33 all the way to 101 where we spent the night in Carpinteria.

​Hwy 33 has always been my ideal drive, but the downhill side (south side) is a slog right now. Many landslides (6-8) have created one-lane sections controlled by stoplights. It's a slow cruise down the hill due to bunched up traffic.

Saturday morning because of heavy rain and the above issue, we took 101 to SLO. We picked up Hwy 58 just north of SLO. Had done 58 between McKittrick and SLO previously, but, unfortunately, forgot what a GREAT driver's road it is. Even if 33 were fully open, 58 is now my go-to. Good surface, wonderful curves, tremendous straights! Looking forward to doing it again soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by ltcjmramos:
vg247 (03-24-2024), wjk_glynn (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:38 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 990 Likes on 369 Posts

@ltcjmramos thanks for posting. Have been trying to get out and do 33 since it opened but hard to get first hand reports from anyone. Hoping they get it repaired fully soon as it is one of the two greatest roads in CA (with 58 being the other as you now know).

58 is spectacular. It will be even better in 1-2 months when the superbloom explodes in the mid section of the Carizo Plain. That gives the most dramatic scenery to that road. Worth the trip if you haven’t seen it.
cyn (04-01-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 09:49 PM
dpwracing
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Sorry for being so late getting back to this. I see your post is very similar to this previously posted route:

• Bailey / McKean / Uvas / Watsonville Rd. to Hwy-152 - https://goo.gl/maps/EfJSBsi9ksL2 (~17 miles)
    • Starts near the IBM Research Lab in Almaden, and continues down to the Hecker Pass Hwy (152)
    • Road surface is more bumpy than expected (though not terrible), and the work rate (i.e. number of corners) is low
    • Upside is that once you get down to Hwy-152, you're near the start of the quite excellent Hecker Pass in Santa Cruz County
    • So it's a decent, but not great back road...

Added that under...

PS: Other sites with similar information/recommendations...

Karl.
This route is my go to!
wjk_glynn (03-27-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 07:01 PM
Alexbn921
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Backside of Lick observatory all the way to mines Rd is a mess of tar and chip seal. Do not recommend. Mines road is in good shape and a great mix of speed and corners. Big Basson hwy off 9 is Santa Cruz was lots of fun. Narrow in sections, zero traffic and lots of corners.
Old 06-21-2024, 08:23 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts
Default CA-1 between Bolinas & Olema

Looks like the state is repairing this stretch of road so I would stay off of it for a while.

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?