Notices

SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 11:38 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
I live in Woodside and the drives up to Skyline and down the other side are solid. I have done them on motorcycles, Cobra, E63, and Carrera GTS, pretty much every Sunday except when it rains. Coffee at Alice’s and then figure it out from there.

notes:
- Kings Mountain is a much more enjoyable drive than 84 but you have to hit it early or you will be fighting with the cyclists. There is a good chance that you will get behind a Prius but there are several legal passing zones and a few others that are not legal but safe.
- I use a GoPro to document what is happening, I don’t trust the cyclists who haul *** down Kings Mountain and take the turns wide.
- There are lots of blind corners and hairpins, assume a cyclists is beyond the apex of each one but the drive has good visibility and only one section of road that is hairball narrow.
- At the top of Kings Mountain you have 3 options, go left and end up at Alice’s, go right and hit 92, or straight and go down Tunitas Creek to the coast. Tunitas Creek is a bumpy road but not nearly as bad as Page Mill because Tunitas Creek was resurfaced a few years ago for a national bicycle race. Going down Tunitas Creek is more fun than coming up it, IMO.
- Alice’s... get there early. Parking is getting really bad.
- I like the drive down 84 to Apple Jacks but much prefer the section from Apple Jacks out to San Gregorio.
- In San Gregorio, turn right at the General Store and take Stage Coach Road out to Hwy 1.
- At Alice’s you can also just head south on Skyline to Page Mill and back to the Bay or right on Alpine and head out to the coast, which is another fun drive, or continue south on Skyline to 9 and into Saratoga or the other way to Boulder Creek / Felton.
- Head down 9 and go straight into Big Basin instead of left at the stop sign. Big Basin is a relaxing drive by you will hit traffic on weekends, from Big Basin you can continue on to Boulder Creek.
- Skyline is closed past 9 for repairs from last winters storms. I don’t know the ET for re-opening.
- In Boulder Creek you can take Bear Creek Road and you will end up on 17 at the Lexington Reservoir.
- avoid 84 up the moutain to Alice’s.... it is truly a miserable drive.
- Old La Honda Road is south of Alice’s and a fun drive that will drop you off in Portola Valley.

Word of caution about this area in general, when there is a marine layer the trees catch a lot of water that will make the roads wet when everything else is dry. It can be hazardous so drive accordingly... however when it’s clear and cold down in the flatlands, the heat rises up and it can be a solid 10-15 degrees warmer up on Skyline. Just know that the climate is very unique and even on Skyline you can hit what feels like rain as you get closer to Hwy 92 while it’s mini heat wave down by Alice’s.
Thanks for those pointers.

I believe you've recommended two roads not previously mentioned. Have I got the correct routes?

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:25 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
I don't think I've even been on Pescadaro, must give it a shot this weekend.

Similar to 84E ?

Karl.
LMK when you want to do it.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:11 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Karl,
Stage Road at the San Gregorio General Store is just more fun than heading west out to Hwy 1 from the General Store. It’s a little twisty, never has traffic and few cyclists. But as you highlight, it’s just a mile. Stage Road the other direction will take you past Butano State Park, which is a pleasant drive but nothing special.

Old La Honda Road is a hike but I’ll caution that I have not driven this since last winters storms and, well, you just don’t know what you will get on these roads since the storms. I see a lot of cyclists heading up it from the red barn on the west side. It’s a long drive, worth taking a flyer on.

Another road that I did not highlight is heading down Alpine Road from Skyline (the west side at the intersection for Page Mill Road). This will take you down a pretty fun section, connecting you with 84 by Applejacks or, if you turn left at the horseshoe, up through Memorial Park and eventually down to Hwy 1.

Lobitos Creek Road at Hwy 1 will bring you up to Tunitas Creek, which you can take up to 84 and down Kings Mountain.

Swett Road (years back I was friends with Philip Swett, who’s grandfather that road is named after) from Skyline will take you to Tunitas Creek as well.

Basically every road on one side of Skyline or the other will eventually take you to Hwy 1 in one direction, Skyline the other. If you are driving on Skyline and turn toward the Bay, eventually you will get there.

You can also drive from the reservoir at the dam all the way south to Saratoga without getting on a freeway. Cañada Road south to Mountain Home Road to Portola Rd to Alpine Road to Arastradero to Page Mill to Arastradero again and Purrisima and then a bunch of surface streets to Foothill Expressway and then down to Saratoga, which you can take back up Hwy 9 to Skyline and head north back to Woodside.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:39 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I've added all those new roads to the top post as follows:

Don't have a URL for the last one as it has too many way points for Google Maps to generate a single URL, plus for some reason Google Maps did everything it could to steer me away away from Cañada Road

Karl.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:40 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
LMK when you want to do it.
Will do...
Old 12-12-2017, 09:31 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A little side note that Total911 magazine lists the road up Mt Hamilton to the Lick Observatory in their Great Roads series - https://www.total911.com/route-130-california-usa/

Karl.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:50 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Well, I disagree with them on the portion of road they list. The backside is much more interesting. And has little to no bicyclists.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:38 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

My car is finally back on the road, thanks to Don Wise Auto. Anyone up for a drive this Sunday?
Old 12-27-2017, 02:31 PM
phuonger
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is more of a Morning until evening drive as round trip it would be aabout 8-9 hours.

I planned this drive for a group of friends about 2-3 years ago but havent been actually able to do it looks like this summer will be the time to go.

Inspired by Need for Speed movie in the ending scene where the final race was shot at in Mendocino County

Meet Location Address:
361 3rd St, San Rafael, CA 94901

We will want to meet up by 8:00am at this location so will need to leave your area by 6:30/7am

From Southbay, it will take about 1 hour - you will take 680 to 880 to 580
From San Francisco it's 30 minutes.

Once we meet at the San Rafael meet up spot, we will proceed North to the starting point of where the final race scene begins in Ukiah, CA

Distance from Meet spot to Ukiah - 95 Miles 1 hour 50 mins
Once we get to Ukiah, this is where the fun begins. The start of the race begins at the 253 in Ukiah and follows through Boonville High 128 which is the California Redwoods. This is that nice scenic race scene between the giant Redwoods. We will then hang a left onto Highway 1 and head South to the Lighthouse.

This section is 72.8 Miles and will take about 1hr 45 minutes

Here is a google map link for the Need For Speed Drive sequence only from Ukiah to the Lighthouse:

The total drive time to from South Bay to the lighthouse is
about 5 hours give or take cause we will need rest stops and meet time and other take a break to enjoy the view or rest your butts time.

Our Target time to get to the lighthouse is 12pm-1pm.

After wards, we will descend home along High 1 South. The entire Highway 1 South is 138 miles to get into San Francisco and is about 4 hours. We can cut 30 minutes off by getting onto 101 also which we might have to do if we cant find gas stations along the way.

Total drive time for this trip is about 9 hours total driving. Expect to be back home in the evening.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:51 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phuonger
Here is a google map link for the Need For Speed Drive sequence only from Ukiah to the Lighthouse
Apologies, but I somehow missed your post back in December.

Just to be sure, that stretch is the one you recommend for a Sunday morning blast? - https://goo.gl/maps/NYT7XCLQGeH2

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:52 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

On a separate note, I see the southern end of Skyline (Hwy-35) has recently reopened after being closed due to the rains in late December 2016...

Karl.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:30 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Matt Farah recently reviewed an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio as part of his signature 'One Take' series.

He normally does his reviews down in SoCal, but this one was mostly on Hwy-9 (between Hwy-35 and Hwy-236)

Karl.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:15 AM
SLVRon
Advanced

Cool video - must have done it on on a weekend, because he wasn't being tailgated by the locals😁

And he couldn't face Hwy236 after it tried to take him out! Just try it in the dark when you're driving through low cloud...
Old 03-16-2018, 01:12 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SLVRon
Cool video - must have done it on on a weekend, because he wasn't being tailgated by the locals😁

And he couldn't face Hwy236 after it tried to take him out! Just try it in the dark when you're driving through low cloud...
So true!

Side note... planning on watching the Twickenham match on Saturday? I’m looking for a South Bay spot to see it...

Karl.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:15 AM
SLVRon
Advanced

I think this weekend is already spoken for. New car needs a thorough detail...

Last edited by SLVRon; 03-16-2018 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?