Sponsored by:

Taycan Turbo vs. Lucid Air Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 01:27 PM
EXOTIC4
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RingoDingo
Maybe, but will Geely or Fiat honor your warranty? Lucid sold 6000 cars worldwide in all of 2023, with almost 800 of those getting shipped to Saudi Arabia. Nobody is buying these cars.
nobody is buying them brand new for 150 K.
hence why they dropped the price about 10 to 15 K across-the-board . However, the lucid GT are selling very well in the 75-80K used market. A ton of car for the price better than the Mercedes EQ AMG and better than the Bmw i7 and Model S. By all accounts, their new SUV the gravity IF priced right out of the gate should sell quite well. No car in the upper end EV market is selling at all well, even the Taycan piling up on lots ……. Price cuts on all new stuff.
Used market has deals galore for all brands.

Last edited by EXOTIC4; 03-01-2024 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:39 PM
EXOTIC4
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I have no stake in Lucid, but, I do believe the more players there are, the better it is for the consumer. We, the consumer, benefit from competition in price and in technology development.
100% agree 👍
Old 03-01-2024, 01:55 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Imagine where the US automobile consumer would be today, if all we had to choose from was Ford, GM and Chrysler…with a monopoly on car prices, designs and technology. Ugh.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-01-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,011 Likes on 5,234 Posts

Imagine where the US automobile consumer would be today, if all we had to choose from was Ford, GM and Chrysler…with a monopoly on car prices, designs and technology. Ugh.
Worse yet, imagine what the EV market would be if it was only Tesla.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RingoDingo
Maybe, but will Geely or Fiat honor your warranty? Lucid sold 6000 cars worldwide in all of 2023, with almost 800 of those getting shipped to Saudi Arabia. Nobody is buying these cars.
Yes, why wouldn't they?

It would be a stock purchase, not an asset purchase. The latter would make no sense since much of the value in LCID is in its human capital.

And last I checked, human trafficking was frowned upon.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:30 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Well I test drove the lucid today.... model s plaid tomorrow, but truly don't expect it'll do much for me except wow me with brute speed.....

Lucid seems to handle quite well, even though sitting in it, you'd not expect it. Everything everyone says about the two cars is true... the porsche feels sporty and fun... the lucid feels relaxed and like pure fun...

It might come down to the fact that the lucid has nearly twice the range and is more techy for my 300+ mile drives... plus the unbeatable lease will let me try it for 18 months for about as much depreciation alone if I were to purchase either of them used right now...

Decisions decisions
Old 03-01-2024, 09:21 PM
kilster
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a car enthusiast friend who owns both Lucid and 992 C4S. When he told me that he preferred the driving dynamics of his Lucid to the 992, I was quite surprised. He thinks that the Lucid has the most balanced driving dynamics. He and I did the PECLA driving together when he told me that.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:20 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
Well I test drove the lucid today.... model s plaid tomorrow, but truly don't expect it'll do much for me except wow me with brute speed.....

Lucid seems to handle quite well, even though sitting in it, you'd not expect it. Everything everyone says about the two cars is true... the porsche feels sporty and fun... the lucid feels relaxed and like pure fun...

It might come down to the fact that the lucid has nearly twice the range and is more techy for my 300+ mile drives... plus the unbeatable lease will let me try it for 18 months for about as much depreciation alone if I were to purchase either of them used right now...

Decisions decisions
So how does the motor whine compare between the Lucid and the Taycan? I have only driven the RWD Taycan and noticed a high pitched noise while cruising. There aren't any Lucids within 100 miles of here so haven't had the opportunity to drive one, but it seems like I hear a similar if not louder whine in reviews of Lucids.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:20 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Originally Posted by flygdchman
So how does the motor whine compare between the Lucid and the Taycan? I have only driven the RWD Taycan and noticed a high pitched noise while cruising. There aren't any Lucids within 100 miles of here so haven't had the opportunity to drive one, but it seems like I hear a similar if not louder whine in reviews of Lucids.
funny enough, I mentioned this to my wife when we were driving.... reviews of the lucid talk about the loud motor whine, but I felt the Porsche was actually louder. It's not a noise I mind, so that's not a knock on it from my perspective....

One other thing I noticed was that the Lucid seemed to have a little bit of a turbo-like 'powerband' while the Porsche was more linear ... at the same time, I expected the Porsche gear shift to be almost non-noticeable, like a PDK at WOT, but it was quite noticeable. Again, though, not something that would turn me away.
The following users liked this post:
flygdchman (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 02:11 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

Thank you for the reply! As I have tinnitus, high pitched, continuous noises, are a discriminator for me.

Last edited by flygdchman; 03-02-2024 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
funny enough, I mentioned this to my wife when we were driving.... reviews of the lucid talk about the loud motor whine, but I felt the Porsche was actually louder. It's not a noise I mind, so that's not a knock on it from my perspective....

One other thing I noticed was that the Lucid seemed to have a little bit of a turbo-like 'powerband' while the Porsche was more linear ... at the same time, I expected the Porsche gear shift to be almost non-noticeable, like a PDK at WOT, but it was quite noticeable. Again, though, not something that would turn me away.
People that I know who own a Lucid consider the whine a welcomed feature of the car.

It gives you an auditory sensation of acceleration. And, for the most part, when I've driven the Air, they're mostly right.
CodyBigdog (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 04:28 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

The question is, is it only during acceleration which would be fine (maybe welcome) or continuous during cruising (which is what I experienced with the Taycan RWD) it was almost like differential whine. Just watched a review of the Lucid RWD and didn't hear any whine at all. Might be a front motor thing.

Last edited by flygdchman; 03-02-2024 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The question is is it only during acceleration which would be fine (maybe welcome) or continuous during cruising (which is what I experienced with the Taycan RWD) it was almost like differential whine. Just watched a review of the Lucid RWD and didn't hear any whine at all. Might be a front motor thing.
Just on acceleration (and deceleration)

I think all EVs have it to some extent (Taycans included).

The only EV that I've been in where I have not heard or noticed the "whine" of the EV motor was a Tesla M3. Not sure if it's because of NVH materials used by Tesla, or the motor itself.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:40 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Whine was only during accelerating.... car is super quiet. We hit a couple manhole covers intentionally and it you hardly knew - was impressive.

I have the plaid today... i don't find it near as cheap as everyone says. It's definitely not top tier like the lucid or porsche, but it's on par with a lexus from a quality of materials perspective. I don't like the wood trim, but the layout is nice otherwise... acceleration is just as brutal as my heavily modified 911, and it's just SO damn easy...

and contrary to the other two, the plaid makes almost NO noise. I kinda like the whirls and star wars noises
flygdchman (03-02-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 10:42 AM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 261 Likes on 147 Posts

What if it were only Asian tin cans to pick from.

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo vs. Lucid Air Grand Touring