Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Taycan GTS Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 11:30 PM
NewTX911
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Thoughts on Taycan GTS Build

Thank you all in advance for the wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum. I had been wanting to add a 992 C2 GTS to the fleet, but it looks to be impossible given the market dynamics and unavailability (should've given more thought to my screen name!). That said, I was offered a Taycan GTS allocation at MSRP (also difficult from what I understand) and I took it.

This will be my first Porsche and my wife will be taking delivery of a Cayenne E-Hybrid in October. We already have a NEMA 14-30 outlet installed in the garage.

Here is my build code: PPJ5VB69

1. Any thoughts/suggestions on my Taycan GTS build? (It’s essentially how I would’ve built my 992 GTS!) This will be my daily driver, and I never track my cars. Since I work from home, it'll be mostly sending kids to/from school and trips to the airport. For any long distance road trips, we'll take my wife's hybrid SUV for the fuel flexibility.

2. What else do I need to install in the garage – should I just get the Porsche wall charging station? (I have a tiled 3-car garage so don't mind having an aesthetically pleasing/clean charging setup.)

Last edited by NewTX911; 08-09-2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:48 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, maybe ACC aka the cruise control. Just a Nema socket is good for your garage, can attach any L2 charger.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 12:29 PM
cayenne-tt
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice build! I added rear wheel steering and the ACC as well on mine. Seem the rear wheel steering helps make the car feel smaller and more nimble. ACC is also a nice feature when using cruise control
Dr. G7 (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 10:33 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by islandtrader
Looks good, maybe ACC aka the cruise control. Just a Nema socket is good for your garage, can attach any L2 charger.
Beg to differ. ACC is not plain ole cruise.

I would not buy a vehicle without the ACC (InnoDriveis overrated...but InnoDrive includes ACC)

daveo4porsche (08-11-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 08:08 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 65 Posts

Did not want ACC... Personnal taste but can't stand it. I can't even stand Tesla's one (that is better)...

As mentionned previously, I would also add Rear Wheel Steering, it makes a difference.

Off topic but my delivery is now pushed to mid-October (vs early September)... Not easy to get the car!
Old 08-10-2022, 10:11 AM
Goodlord
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Did not want ACC... Personnal taste but can't stand it. I can't even stand Tesla's one (that is better)...

As mentionned previously, I would also add Rear Wheel Steering, it makes a difference.

Off topic but my delivery is now pushed to mid-October (vs early September)... Not easy to get the car!

what are everyone’s thoughts on the basic race Tex interior that is still the gts interior that comes standard. I have a gts allocation coming this year and am having trouble justifying the 5k for red stitching. Does anyone have photos of the standard interior or opinions?
Old 08-10-2022, 10:28 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts

Look into The GTS interior it is more than deviated thread

Trending Topics

Old 08-10-2022, 10:51 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by NewTX911
2. What else do I need to install in the garage – should I just get the Porsche wall charging station? (I have a tiled 3-car garage so don't mind having an aesthetically pleasing/clean charging setup.)
You'll need a 14-50 outlet. There are other very great options for chargers besides the expensive Porsche station. The wall unit causing charger to overheat - especially in hot climates. I have issues with mine in summer here in S. FL and it's mounted direct to the wall with no box.
@daveo4porsche has some incredible info on chargers and home setups.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:54 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

I wouldn't get a GTS without rear wheel steering and probably pdcc. I have both on my 4S and if I felt I didn't need those options I would probably just stick with the 4S.

I would also get the standard 50 amp cable. A 30 amp receptacle will limit you to 24 amps. That would be ok for a hybrid but I would want to charge a full electric car with at least 32 amps.

Do you really want a cloth steering wheels in a daily driver with kids?
Old 08-11-2022, 10:01 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,887 Posts

with regards to charging these threads might help

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...-….2343/
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...er-to-get.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...-charging.html
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...….11745/

my basic advice is:
  • 50 amp is more than sufficient - NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 plug and you're good to go - you can stop here but also consider a longer term plan read on.
  • this is your first EV not your last EV - so a little more effort and expense and you could be set for your current EV and any future EV
  • there is more EV in your future not less
  • EV charging is not vendor/vehicle specific - you can get non-Porsche EV chargers that are better value/quality/cost and be ready for all future EV's
  • the issue with an EV charger is NOT the cost of the charger - it's the permits/PITA of getting a new 240V circuit installed/permitted/inspected - so installing a bigger/faster circuit might not be much more expensive than a "minimal" circuit - consult your local bonded/certified/licensed electrician
  • this is a 10-15 year item - getting it done, right well, and sufficient capacity will make you happy in the future to not redo it in a few years…
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
ABVW (08-12-2022), thebishman (08-12-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 10:10 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

this particular post lays it out pretty well IMHO - post #11 in case the link doesn't work

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...l#post17556255
Old 08-12-2022, 02:31 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default A Surprise on the Configurator

NewTX911 - thanks for requesting input. My Taycan GTS order was placed earlier this month. I spent hours on the configurator and learned something new all the time. I’ll start with the surprise. I am ordering the GTS interior as it’s similar to one I had on a previous 911. I had planned to order the 2+1 seating in the rear - seemed like a no brainer, but in the description of the GTS interior, it said red seat belts in the front and outer rear, only, and sure enough, when I looked at the picture on the configurator I saw that the center seat belt was black, so I decided not to order it. You’ll see what I mean in the second interior shot in your build. Yet, for a family, the center seat might be really important regardless of belt color. I was disappointed to delete it.

I had Race-Tex on my 991.2 GT3 and I liked it a lot especially the steering wheel. I was disappointed that ventilated seats are not available with Race-Tex because I’m in SoCal and it’s been really hot lately.

I learned a lot carefully reading the list of standard equipment. If you’re in the U.S. and want to charge at 240V, the car comes with a 240 V NEMA 14-50 supply cable. The EV section on the configurator is confusing. Our Cayenne e-hybrid came with a great charger and cables for 120- and 240-volt charging. I’m assuming that Porsche still supplies the wall charger and mounting brackets. BTW, my wife and I love our ‘19 Cayenne and will buy it when the lease ends this November for the same reason as you mentioned for longer trips with a question about availability of charging stations. For a 5,000+ pound vehicle it is really quick and it handles surprising well.

More on options - my build is pretty heavily optioned especially in the performance area with RWS, PDCC and PCCB reflecting my love of sports cars. If this will be a daily driver (as in my case) you might not miss options like carbon ceramic brakes and PDCC, but I agree with others that rear wheel steering makes a car noticeably more nimble in cornering. PCCB seems like a natural for a Taycan GTS, but try to find a sales associate or sales manager who can advise on the benefit. That has helped me tremendously in the past!

The Premium Package has several good features for safety and convenience like LCA and Surround View, which is really useful when parking in tight spaces. ACC is a love/hate option. I didn’t order it in part because I don’t take a lot of trips where the standard cruise control isn’t enough and I don’t have an urban commute. FWIW, I had ACC in a Mercedes a few years ago and even at the setting for minimum distance to the car in front, it left too much room, so on a divided highway cars were always passing because there was so much room in front and when they pulled in, my car slowed down to reestablish the separation - and I never, ever tailgate.

On my last Porsche, I regretted not getting the outside mirror lower portions in body color. You might want to consider “Exterior Mirrors in Exterior Color” or leave it partly black to pick up the black window surrounds and black GTS side skirts. I like the design of the new GTS wheels. Like those on the 992 GT3, they remind me of knock-off spinners of wheels on older sports cars. I spec’d a Taycan Exclusive design wheel painted gloss black to get some chrome highlights. You might consider ordering the brake calipers painted in black. You don’t need to order PCCBs to do that.

Given the move toward EVs and the tremendous performance of the Taycan, it is a terrific way to begin Porsche ownership along with the Cayenne. I drove a Taycan at a dealer and on at autocross course at a Porsche Drive Experience. It is amazing! The Taycan GTS will be my 9th Porsche and of all the cars I’ve owned, I’ve probably never been more excited about taking delivery. So I tend to add options that reflect prior builds and that go beyond a strong basic build. For example, I’ve always been a sucker for illuminated door sills and painted car keys with a leather pouch, but they are expensive and won’t have any effect on performance and enjoyment.

This is a very long reply, so if you have any specific questions, please feel free to send a PM so I won’t be torturing others on this thread. All the best on your journey into Porsche ownership.
The following 2 users liked this post by AtTheGlen:
FRZA (10-23-2022), Redhot2474 (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 08:27 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
On my last Porsche, I regretted not getting the outside mirror lower portions in body color. You might want to consider “Exterior Mirrors in Exterior Color” or leave it partly black to pick up the black window surrounds and black GTS side skirts.
Yes! I always order painted mirrors - SO much better over the cheap plastic bases.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:29 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
with regards to charging these threads might help

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...-do-it-….2343/
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...er-to-get.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...-charging.html
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...f-text….11745/

my basic advice is:
  • 50 amp is more than sufficient - NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 plug and you're good to go - you can stop here but also consider a longer term plan read on.
  • this is your first EV not your last EV - so a little more effort and expense and you could be set for your current EV and any future EV
  • there is more EV in your future not less
  • EV charging is not vendor/vehicle specific - you can get non-Porsche EV chargers that are better value/quality/cost and be ready for all future EV's
  • the issue with an EV charger is NOT the cost of the charger - it's the permits/PITA of getting a new 240V circuit installed/permitted/inspected - so installing a bigger/faster circuit might not be much more expensive than a "minimal" circuit - consult your local bonded/certified/licensed electrician
  • this is a 10-15 year item - getting it done, right well, and sufficient capacity will make you happy in the future to not redo it in a few years…
Im a bit confused with the charging. If you option the car with the 22KW charger, which wall mount charger do you install in your garage? It will be a 100A charger, correct?
Old 08-12-2022, 11:05 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kayjh
Im a bit confused with the charging. If you option the car with the 22KW charger, which wall mount charger do you install in your garage? It will be a 100A charger, correct?
Europe has a 22 kW option
North American has a 19.2 kW option - maximum L2 AC EV charge rate covered by the North American SAE-J1772 EV charging standard - 22 kW AC charging is not a thing in North America - Rest of World only (ROW)

_IF_ you option the 19.2 kW option for north american you will need a 100 amp 240V circuit in your home to charge at that rate.

there are at least 3 EVSE's (EV chargers) you could purchase to "pair" with your Taycan to achieve this charge rate
  1. ClipperCreek HCS100
  2. Porsche Wall Charger Connect
  3. others…
cost will be:
  • $1680 for the 19.2 kW option in your Taycan
  • $1500-$2000 for a 100 amp EVSE
  • $1500 or more for your electrician to install a 100 amp circuit + 2 gauge copper wire - potentially way more than $1500 depending on the particulars of your specific home and local building codes…it could easily be $7000 or more just for the 100 amp circuit if you're main panel needs upgrading and your garge is no where near the main panel…
100 amp L2 charging is really not a "thing" in north american - most public L2 chargers are 40 amp or less - so if you get this option it will rarely be used when away from home - you are unlikely to encounter 100 amp L2 chargers while traveling at businesses or hotels or golf courses or shopping malls- you're lucky to find 30 amp chargers

mostly when away from home you'll use fast DC chargers (25 kW - 350 kW chargers) - these chargers and their charge rates are separate and different than the 19.2 kW charging option.

so if you choose to option this plan on only using it in your home, and rarely using it when away from home because you simply won't find/encounter/stumble-across very many 100 amp L2 chargers in the wild.

if you option this you can fully charge your Taycan from 5% or less battery to 100% in less than 6 hours vs. 14 hours for NEMA 14-50/6-50 charge rate…
that being said most days you don't fully charge the car - you only charge what you used for that day - 30 kwh or less - so for daily usage you're talking 1.5 hours for 19.2 kW charge rate vs. 3.5 hours for 9.6 kW charge rate…

it's very very nice to charge your EV in your home as fast as possible

as to how much it matters to you to save 2 hours while charging overnight while you sleep (either way the car is ready by 6 am) that's a personal choice

this option is a minimum cost of $4500 (vehicle option + EVSE + electrician for 100 amp circuit) - potentially much more depending on your electrician's quote for a 100 amp circuit

as to if it's worth it two answers:
  • no EV owner has ever said - my EV charges too fast
  • does it matter that it charges 2 hours sooner while you're asleep?
I will never argue it's "worth it" - but it is faster - does it matter? I can't answer that.

keep in mind with Fast DC charging and more and more being added every day you can always top your Taycan off in 30 min or less at a commerical public charger - even if you're at 5% - 5% to 80% is like 22 min at a 150 kW fast DC charger.

5% to 80% even with 19.2 kW charging is 4 hours…
but it's 8 hours with 9.6 kW charging…

thoses are the facts.
PierreTT (08-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Taycan GTS Build