Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Any possible interest in this '12 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Any possible interest in this '12 Spyder?

Out of the blue, Rennlister w00tPORSCHE contacted me recently to see if I would consider selling my Aqua Blue/Red '12 Spyder. Although I had not previously given it any consideration, he started me thinking about it. This Spyder has been the most amazing handling vehicle I have ever owned! It is also one of the most attractive models that Porsche has ever produced. However, it is also true that I am not using the Spyder enough to perhaps justify keeping it. The odo reads just 937 miles since I took delivery of it in September. The specs can be found in the thread I started on this Spyder last Fall on Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...tom-order.html

This Spyder has the right combinations of options which many find most desirable on a Spyder model: sport bucket seats, sport exhaust, sport short shifter and sport chrono. It has the premium full leather interior and some interesting & unique 'Porsche Exclusive' options! It is one of only 125 Spyders allocated for the US in MY2012 and it was one of the last Spyders produced - late July of 2011 - before production lines were shut down for this model in Zuffenhausen. It is also the ONLY Aqua Blue Metallic/Carrera Red Spyder in these United States. So not quite Paint-to-Sample, but perhaps the next best thing in terms of rarity & an unusual color combination! I continue to believe that the '11/'12 Spyder will be a future classic and an icon of Porsche cars just like the 356 Speedster!

MSRP was $84,770. In has a pretty extensive clear bra installed by Premier (Fremont, CA), one of the leading firms in that business & at a cost of $1700. This includes the entire front hood protected by film! The price that will motivate me to sell this unique Spyder is $87K. This is what I quoted w00tPORSCHE. The later graciously considered it but is not yet ready to purchase. Normally my wife is trying to make me sell cars I own, not keep them. Interestingly, she is not pushing me on this one. So it looks like I will be OK even if I end up keeping it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I wouldn't sell such a perfectly optioned spyder like that. Then again, if you're not driving it, you're not enjoying it, IMO. If anyone is in the market for a spyder, your car is THE car to get.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I know I have stated many times in the past that I would never sell my Spyder but honestly this one has me tempted. There are a few options I'm not keen on (bi xenon, park sensors, sport chrono and headlight washers) but I have to admit the whole package is jaw dropping.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I know I have stated many times in the past that I would never sell my Spyder but honestly this one has me tempted. There are a few options I'm not keen on (bi xenon, park sensors, sport chrono and headlight washers) but I have to admit the whole package is jaw dropping.
I didn't think Eduardo's car had park sensors...

It's probably just my age, but if I'm driving at night, I want the bi xenons, which come with the headlight washers (ok, not red ones).

I didn't want (I don't like the looks of 'the wart') Sport Chrono, but it allows for a harder redline, improved throttle response and raising the PSM thresholds - the other option is the more expensive Porsche retrofit.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Just sent you a PM....
Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Eduardo. You haven't been driving the spyder much because the weather's been crappy lately. You're not thinking with a clear mind

If you sell it now, you'll regret it starting next month!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I wouldn't sell such a perfectly optioned spyder like that. Then again, if you're not driving it, you're not enjoying it, IMO. If anyone is in the market for a spyder, your car is THE car to get.
Thanks Ortho!

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I didn't think Eduardo's car had park sensors...

It's probably just my age, but if I'm driving at night, I want the bi xenons, which come with the headlight washers (ok, not red ones).

I didn't want (I don't like the looks of 'the wart') Sport Chrono, but it allows for a harder redline, improved throttle response and raising the PSM thresholds - the other option is the more expensive Porsche retrofit.
Yes, Park Sensors. I got them on the personal recommendation of Savyboy (Pete). He said he forgot to order them on his Spyder and regretted it. And anything that Savyboy recommends is something I pay attention to! Don't worry, they don't weight anything and if you just avoid one rear dent or scratch, it will pay for itself!

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thanks, Afshin!

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Eduardo. You haven't been driving the spyder much because the weather's been crappy lately. You're not thinking with a clear mind If you sell it now, you'll regret it starting next month!
You might be right! I will be picking up Steve Colletti at San Jose Airport on April 13th to take him to Shark Werks so he can pick up his Cayman R. Hope to see you and a few others RListers there and maybe you will convince me to keep the car!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
You might be right! I will be picking up Steve Colletti at San Jose Airport on April 13th to take him to Shark Werks so he can pick up his Cayman R. Hope to see you and a few others RListers there and maybe you will convince me to keep the car!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Thanks for this, Eduardo, and please consider me part of Team "Don't sell it"!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't sell it, you will regret it.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Z356
I will be picking up Steve Colletti at San Jose Airport on April 13th to take him to Shark Werks so he can pick up his Cayman R. Hope to see you and a few others RListers there and maybe you will convince me to keep the car!
Wait, are you going to drive him up in the spiderman spyder?? Please say yes, because I've got to see this thing! I'll drive my spyder down too.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man I'm jealous, I wish I was still living in SoCal so I could have the year round driving weather and the incredible mountain roads! If you guys all take your cars out there please take pictures and post them up!

Eduardo I agree with the others, don't sell it (unless you want to give me a really good deal on it ), I highly doubt Porsche will offer anything nearly as pure and fun as the Spyder. Besides, what would you replace it with?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh no -- don't do it Eduardo! The Spyder is a keeper IMHO.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi all. First post in the 987 section. It all started after I googled aqua blue metallic+Porsche (don't ask me why I did that) and I stumbled upon Ed's iconic thread on his spyder. I was somewhat tempted to add a spyder to my P-car collection at some point in the distant future and this would have been the perfect one that would fit the bill. I immediately PM'ed him, hoping to get first in line if he ever considered selling it after a few years. I was totally dumbfounded when he came back to me with his offer to sell the car in less than a month after my PM. I really was not expecting to get a new car which is what Ed's car is. In the meantime, my evil mind had me thinking about a GT3RS at some point in my future (I am 41 yrs old). So spyda now or GT3RS in 3 years or so. But to get the spyda now, I had to convince my wife to part with her MINI which was my gift to her for her B'day. I could not justify a second cabriolet (Man, Ed's car is a one of a kind modern day classic). Our MINI is my wife's beater car, grocery getter, and she chauffers the kids around in it .... just perfect for Seattle traffic. It is cheap enough that we could justify having a cabriolet for the PNW weather. After an endless mental debate, I finally had to walk away from Ed's car. Please Ed, don't sell this beauty. Just like how I convinced you to sell it, I am hoping to convince you to retain it ... If I am lucky we can have this same interaction in a few years and the next time I may get luckier and become your car's next custodian. Can't beat buying a car from a truly passionate RL'er. Thank you Ed, you truly are a gentleman. Sorry not this time. I know it is just a MINI but this is what we chose to retain over that gorgeous one of a kind Ed's car.
Attached Images       

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 04-03-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Amar: Thank you for the kind words! That is one beautiful 'Sidewalk' Mini you gave your wife for her Birthday! That English Malt Brown Lounge Leather interior is very striking! In my opinion, it's the best looking interior Mini has ever done! I think we have similar tastes as I also currently own a 2011 JCW Hatch in Eclipse Gray (see attached at my garage in Colorado). That is quite a coincidence!

From the current feedback at this site, the overwhelming opinion seems to be to keep it. Zellamsee, who graciously gave me a ride in his '11 Spyder a year ago & whose opinion I value, is also counseling against it. So we will see what happens. Thank you all for your thoughtful input.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

Ed, the sidewalk was my surprise B'day gift to her. It was one of the last of the R52 platforms and It now has 30 k miles on it and u wont believe how pristine the car is inside out. I love JCW. You have a great taste in automobiles my friend. Love the targa too. I beg you. Please keep the spyder. Just think about how muxh trouble you took spec'ng it the way you did. Enjoy the car either driving it or just admiring it in that beautiful garage of yours. Who knows where we go in this journey. May be you will still give me first dibs at a later date and that time my heart will win over my head (as you can see from my signature, the head has lost quite a few battles.

Quick Reply: Any possible interest in this '12 Spyder?