Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Any possible interest in this '12 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm also a firm believer that mileage does not hurt collectability so long as the car is maintained properly cosmetically and mechanically.

Besides, you only live once and why not enjoy the car rather than saving it for someone else?
Mileage and collectibilty are two different things. A collectible car will still be sought after even if it has a good amount of mileage on it, its just that some collectors prefer lower mileage cars. A low mileage car that isn't collectible won't be sought after and will probably never be worth very much.

As for saving the car for someone else, Jim Glickenhaus, a well known Ferrari collector probably said it best with this statement,"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend." The same applies to Porsches!

Best regards,
Dino
Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Either way, it would be nice to meet both of you guys next Friday. Schmidts Cat (Ian) will be there with his son, and Bensf might make it as well. Barring any emergencies that show up in my office, I'll be there and hopefully we can all have lunch together. Eduardo, a spyder reunion sounds like a great idea, Joe
Joe, looking forward to meeting you all. I know of Ian since we both used to own Z8's at one time and have a mutual friend (photographer Andrew Macpherson) in common!

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Having said that I have not been shy about driving the Spyder and I think much of my fears were alleviated when I had a clear bra installed on the entire front end and any other areas that are prone to rock chips or sand blasting. I'm much more relaxed about driving and enjoy the car and in the 3500 miles I have driven I have not added any chips on the painted areas. I believe you have done the same with your Spyder.
Interestingly, most of the 937 miles currently on the Spyder have been used up going back and forth to Premier in Fremont to get the clear bra done and adjusted just right on the car! Yikes!

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
You're a brave man, driving one of those, that far, at highway speeds, on roads inundated with trucks and SUVs.
Well, I was kidding about taking the VW to the Parade but I am afraid that it's true my wife and I are planning to drive the Karmann Cabriolet (see attached photo) to Colorado in two weeks! We are planning to leave it there at our other home just to use during the summer & fall in the mountains! For the upcoming trip, I told my wife to buy a giant beach ball to sit in her lap and act as an air bag in case we get intimate with that truck or SUV you are talking about! Good thing she doesn't read this forum otherwise she might start to panic!

Originally Posted by Dino944
"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend."
Dino
That is the best quote I have heard in a long time, Dino! You guys are getting me thinking that I should break out of my sickness and start using these cars!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend." The same applies to Porsches!
Dino
Lovely quote. In this regard, I have almost 24,000 miles on my Spyder now!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 67 Posts

26,600 so boo-yah!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I believe bensf has us all beat in terms of using the car to its fullest.

His car still looks fantastic, and runs perfectly. That is how it's done.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zellamsee
I have almost 24,000 miles on my Spyder now!
Originally Posted by mile2424
26,600 so boo-yah!
I salute you both! To get you to understand the depths of my mental disease, I owned a Signal Red 1965 C Cabriolet (see below) for over 15 years and sold it in 2007. It was a museum quality, low mileage (36K) unrestored vehicle. I was the second owner. In all of those years of my ownership, I drove it only 1000 miles and never once showed it at a car show! As I used it, it was simply for the visual enjoyment of myself & my car enthusiast friends in the privacy of my garage.

I tried to change my ways when I acquired the Crystal Blue 1970 911E Targa in 2008. That is also a low mileage, unrestored example. I have driven that car at least 1000 miles in four years I have owned it. And at least I took it to the 2009 Porsche Parade, win trophies and share it with the public. So I am making some progress...but not enough!

I do admit I have a problem driving these cars on a regular basis and do need to snap out of it! At age 61, it is not like I have many years left to enjoy all of it to the fullest!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
You guys are getting me thinking that I should break out of my sickness and start using these cars!
I have a 3 step cure for your disease:

Step 1: Pick up Steve in your spiderman spyder at the airport
Step 2: Drive Steve to sharkwerks in the spiderman spyder
Step 3: Drive back home to Carmel and wonder why you don't drive the car more often

Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Can someone please close this thread....I can't bear to see myself walking away from such a Porsche enthusiast owned one of a kind spyder (which BTW is my laptop background)... Honest to god guys I am not able to sleep well because of this endless mental debate. I have never visited the 987 section evvvver and now just to check this thread I have visited this section every day ... several times a day. Hoping that someone would bite and buy this car and then I would not have to worry. C cabriolet, longhood 911 and now this spyder. That guy has taste. Gosh. I wish and pray that a RL'er should buy this before it goes to autotrader so that it stays in the family.

Amar.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
. Honest to god guys I am not able to sleep well because of this endless mental debate. I have never visited the 987 section evvvver and now just to check this thread I have visited this section every day ... several times a day.
Amar.
Funny, that is how I reacted to after seeing the Spyder for the first time. Within a month I had made a plan to purchase one and within 6 months I had the car on order.

If it's meant to be it will happen.

I do hope though that Eduardo holds on to it.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 PM
86 3point2
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

It's me...but channeling the spirit of Donavan. Talking about that, someone from Rennlist recently PM me to ask if I knew how to contact the current owner of his beautiful Riviera Blue Spyder. As you all know, that Spyder is now residing with its 4th owner in Pennsylvania. So who knows if there will be further movement on that front!

By the way, Plavan. Please drop by the next time you are racing at nearby Laguna Seca. Haven't seen you since Rennsport IV and your good showing there!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Yes, the Eagle has landed! Not a stunning image by any stretch - my daughter's capture during the unloading. Will commit to do better in the imagery department.

Life has recently become a lot more exciting...early spring + Spyder = Nirvana.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2012, 02:45 AM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

We can also plan a little Spyder reunion here in Carmel this Spring or during August's Race Week Historics. Mile2424 is in nearby Santa Cruz and he might be up for it too. Zellamsee is in Marin but often comes to this area for events at Laguna, as does Plavan from Clovis.
My Spyder is reasonably close to you - residing in the wilds of North Monterey County..... A Spyder reunion would be fun!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Step 1: Pick up Steve in your spiderman spyder at the airport
I will consider it!

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I have never visited the 987 section evvvver and now just to check this thread I have visited this section every day ... Amar.
You see, something good has already come from all of this! Thanks Amar!

Originally Posted by 86 3point2
Yes, the Eagle has landed!
That continues to be a spectacular exterior color for the Spyder!

Originally Posted by caronsd
My Spyder is reasonably close to you - residing in the wilds of North Monterey County..... A Spyder reunion would be fun!
I'll be talking to OrthoJoe, Ian (no Spyder but some Caymans), Bensf and Steve (Cayman R & lives in LA) at Sharks Werks next Friday to see if there is any interest. In addition, Aaron (Mile 2424) lives in nearby Santa Cruz, Zellamsee resides in Marin, Plavan in Clovis, PCW in the Sacramento area and you in North Monterey County. So you have a core group of NorCal owners that might be up for a small reunion here in Carmel.

I see two possibilities for a reunion date - mid May and/or mid August. If in May, the American Le Mans race at Laguna Seca (from May 9th to May 12th) would be a very appropriate time:

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/press-re...-mazda-raceway

If in August, it could be during the Historic Racing Week at Laguna Seca, which also include events such as the McCall Motorsports Airport Party, The Quail, Concorso Italiano & the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Many of you are coming for that week to Carmel regardless!

I don't mind organizing such a reunion at my home. During Rennsport last October, I had a party in my house for around 50 members of the R Gruppe (http://www.rgruppeforum.org/index.php) and often host events here for friends that visit our area each year for an automobile/motorbike show of some type. Maybe Amar, Marine Blue, JSF101, Dino and others could drive or fly up for such an event!

If anyone has a preference or suggestion, please let me know.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the Rivera Changed hands again? Since a couple months ago? I'm losing track. I still want that car someday.

Thanks for the offer Eduardo, any excuse to get down to carmel and do some driving and chatting
Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm in. Should be down in your neck of the woods for the ALMS race. Would be fun to get a gaggle of Spyders together!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Thanks for the offer Eduardo, any excuse to get down to carmel and do some driving and chatting
Originally Posted by zellamsee
I'm in. Should be down in your neck of the woods for the ALMS race. Would be fun to get a gaggle of Spyders together!
Ok, that is it! We will have our first Rennlist Spyder get together here in Carmel on the weekend of the ALMS race - May 9th through the 12th! Maybe Friday, May 11th will be the most suitable day, by which time most folks coming down for the race on Saturday should be in town. I will start a separate thread about it in this forum. But I encourage all Rennlisters that are planning to come down for the American LeMans race a Laguna Seca to chime in and let us know what time you will be arriving in the Carmel area so that we can plan a time period that is convenient for most of you! PM or post in our forum. Thanks!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Any possible interest in this '12 Spyder?