Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Bought a Spyder today

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 AM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Bought a Spyder today

Thanks for the input every one gave, especially on the seat choice.
I chose the bucket seats after a side by side comparison with the sport seats. Either would work for me at 5'7" and 145 lbs. However, I'd choose the sport seats if it was a daily driver because of easy of in and out and the recline feature. They have noticeably better side bolstering than the comfort seats in my 911. I'm cut about one inch too short for the bucket seats. A cheap invisible modification fixes the problem. Under the stock foam seat cushion, put two 1/2 inch pieces of carpet pad on top of each other cut to conform to the bottom of the seat bucket. You can't see this and it raises you up enough that the back of the seat conforms to your body properly.

Options: White, black Spyder wheels, black interior, manual, auto dimming mirrors, BiXenon lights, Alcantara armrests, door panel inserts and console lid, radio, AC, cupholders. Did not have sports exhaust so I will have to add it. Also have added clear bra.

I pick it up Friday and will try to post pictures and driving impressions next week. Can't wait to get it. Driving a Spyder with the top down and apexing corners is the most fun I have ever had on the street.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:01 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds awesome - can't wait to see the pix. I hope to pick up a Spyder in a couple of years - just bought my '08 Boxster S last year. Until then, I'll keep wishing I have to $ to retro fit GT2 seats in my car.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet! Congrats. Post pics
Old 05-19-2010, 03:56 PM
john weires
Pro

Forgot to mention I also got Sports Chrono on it. Hey, Lithium, love your Speed Yellow. I wish they offered the Spyder in this color.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:59 PM
john weires
Pro

Savyboy, tell me how your experience goes with PCCB. A report on performance, lifespan and cost of replacement would be helpful down the road. Can you tell a difference in handling because you have less un-sprung weight? I initially wanted these until I found out the replacement cost is around $5k per rotor.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 139 Posts

Congrats! Must have full leather, correct? In conjunction with the Alcantara armrest option, it seems to be the only way to get the Alcantara door panel inserts.

The PCCB option offers less of a weight benefit on the Boxster and Cayman, as they have lighter brake components than the 911s. And the Spyder's light weight reduces the need for the PCCB's fade resistance.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:39 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by john weires
Savyboy, tell me how your experience goes with PCCB. A report on performance, lifespan and cost of replacement would be helpful down the road. Can you tell a difference in handling because you have less un-sprung weight? I initially wanted these until I found out the replacement cost is around $5k per rotor.
I have them on my C4S, and my RS as well, and track all my cars. You will need something like 60 hard track days before you even start to worry about rotors. Such an overblown concern with the latest generation rotors.

And they are no longer $5k ea, down to $4200/$3700 ea

Consider the new GT2RS with 620 freakin HP comes ONLY with PCCB.

Look, are PCCB's a luxury? Yes. Can an average driver ever tell they are on there, especially a lightweight Boxster/Cayman? Probably not. Are the steel brakes perfectly adequate? Of course.

As a hard care car guy and former tech, I appreciate and value the weight reduction in unsprung / rotating mass. They don't dust the wheels. There is no possibility of fade. In mostly street use you will never, ever wear out a rotor.

PCCB is ALWAYS a controversial topic. I say if you want them, and $8100 won't bust your budget, go for it! There are benefits to be had. And if you don't want them, stock steel brakes are perfectly wonderful too.

If you do regularly track the PCCB's, the P50 Green Porsche Motorsport pads work better at higher temps. I can wear out the stock (P40) pads in 10-12 track days.

Check out this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-pictures.html

Bottom line- pick whichever you prefer, but don't let worries about rotor wear affect your decision. It is not the problem you would think from all the hand-wringing.

Last edited by savyboy; 05-20-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Correct pricing
Old 05-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 139 Posts

Wear does appear to have been addressed with recent generations of PCCBs, so I would be more concerned about damage to rotors from trapped pebbles or clumsy wheel removal (I have been a victim of both).

Personally, I would opt for PCCB if I had a high-horsepower car and lived in Germany, where their fade-resistance would be beneficial when braking frequently from the autobahn speeds cars like the GT2 are capable of reaching before conventional brakes can cool. Dare I say this is what they were designed for, with lower unsprung weight as a byproduct and the only real spin marketing departments can put on them to justify their cost in the North American market.

To each his own, of course...
Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Congrats!

Love to see those pics... Drive in good health.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

PCCBs also often significantly less brake maintenance over the life of the car. Of course, few Americans actually KEEP their cars long enough to amortize the expense. While others are putting on new rotors and pads every 45,000 miles with PCCBs all you have to do is bleed your fluid every couple of years.

Quick Reply: Bought a Spyder today