Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Boxster S Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:34 AM
WAY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, what's wrong with driving with the top on but without the rear section? That's what I plan to do during the hot summer months here, and taking the roof off completely when the sun sets.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:16 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by robcut1
I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be helpful. I was OK until Trader 220 made it clear that the top is "only" for rain and cold weather protection.
What do you recomend based on my comments previously?
Rob
Rob,
Only you can make the final call.

Personally I can deal with the roof, it's part of the package. I live in the pacific northwest and we get a ton of rain here. Most of the year it's pretty mild, not too humid or dry with a couple weeks of below freezing and maybe a week around 100 degrees. Spring through Fall is pretty awesome here! Just can be wet at times. I plan on using the Spyder as a daily driver (flame suit on). I live fairly close to work with access to a fully secure parking garage. We have a Audi Q5 for the bigger projects (which my wife drives). Personally I think the sacrifices are worth it! I can truly say I haven't been more excited about any other car I have owned.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:11 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by robcut1
I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be helpful. I was OK until Trader 220 made it clear that the top is "only" for rain and cold weather protection.
What do you recomend based on my comments previously?
Rob
This is why I wanted to wait until more owners gave feedback. There will always be other special edition cars. Hopefully the next one I will have no doubts on if it will suit me so I can pull the trigger early and not miss out on it.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:18 PM
robcut1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I sincerely appreciate the fact that we can discuss these issues which involve personal expressions and what provisions and circumstances individuals use to resolve any conflict (trade offs). In many respects, this is more important than just discussing the technical merits of an option on the car. I find the above comments very helpful. I can drive with the rear window out, for example, and get the sun protection I need, especially with the a/c on. The car does offer all the unique features I have been looking for. As far as hakaida 702, yes there are always special edition cars, but I have only seen a few which become truly desired long term (RS America), since it has not been reproduced for every new generation. Who knows what will become of the spyder?? Good bet it will not be reproduced considering its unique features.
Just my opinion!

Rob
Old 03-21-2010, 05:00 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Robcut, I guess I feel the opposite is true. With the Spyder getting rave reviews, I would think they would do something similar, but with enough differences to call it something else. The other previous Boxster variants were mostly cosmetic differences and didn't get as much praise. Or there might not be any new Boxster special editions and the rumored Cayman Club Sport might be built instead.

Last edited by hakaida702; 03-21-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Dig-It
Advanced

The dealership where I placed my order is charging me $700 for Sound Package Plus (option code 490). The sales manager let me watch over his shoulder as he placed my order into the system so I know he didn't pull the numbers out of thin air.

However, I've noticed that other folks that have posted their orders on this thread, as wells as the Porsche Car Configurator, show this as a no-cost option. I'm set on getting this on my car, but I'd like to know why there's a discrepancy between the order computer and everything else I've seen. Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dig-It
The dealership where I placed my order is charging me $700 for Sound Package Plus (option code 490). The sales manager let me watch over his shoulder as he placed my order into the system so I know he didn't pull the numbers out of thin air.

However, I've noticed that other folks that have posted their orders on this thread, as wells as the Porsche Car Configurator, show this as a no-cost option. I'm set on getting this on my car, but I'd like to know why there's a discrepancy between the order computer and everything else I've seen. Any ideas?
The dealer is not pulling anything... Porsche changed it. This is the deal. Originally the radio was a no cost option, but it required the sound package (Speakers) which was $700. So in reality it wasn't a no cost option. Some felt it was deceptive. So now Porsche decided to swap it. Now the radio cost money and the Speakers are free. At the end it's the same price because one always came with the other. The online configurator has been updated, but it sounds like it's a rolling change and the internal ordering system has yet to be updated.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Dig-It
Advanced

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

All the costs for the options will be shown on the window sticker any way.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

For all of the Spyders in the US, is it correct that they are not to be test driven/sold pending a recall on the roof? I ask because this was posted on another site...
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM
MGW
Intermediate

hey guys,

i just took delivery of my spyder saturday and the roof recall i think is more of a consumer warning ...

apparently the issue was that some people may not have had the front center latch properly latched and the tops blew off. i personally had mine over 100 mph saturday with zero issues. the top is actually VERY easy to put on and take off. i was a bit worried and its actually no hassle.

i mean its obviously not just a push a button deal like a boxster but compared to some cars like the older vipers....the elise soft tops etc its pretty simple.

also these cars NEEEEDDDDD sport exhaust or some aftermarket exhaust this thing is too quiet in stock form.

cars handles VERY well but i wish there was a more hardcore suspension setting. i did go to this from a 2010 gt3 so i am VERY biased here,.

i tell you guys this thing gets more looks and attention than just about any car i have ever owned i was shocked at the amount of positive comments from jsut total strangers.

ill post up some pics soon and gonna track it next week also

george
Old 03-22-2010, 08:24 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MGW
hey guys,

i just took delivery of my spyder saturday and the roof recall i think is more of a consumer warning ...

apparently the issue was that some people may not have had the front center latch properly latched and the tops blew off. i personally had mine over 100 mph saturday with zero issues. the top is actually VERY easy to put on and take off. i was a bit worried and its actually no hassle.

i mean its obviously not just a push a button deal like a boxster but compared to some cars like the older vipers....the elise soft tops etc its pretty simple.

also these cars NEEEEDDDDD sport exhaust or some aftermarket exhaust this thing is too quiet in stock form.

cars handles VERY well but i wish there was a more hardcore suspension setting. i did go to this from a 2010 gt3 so i am VERY biased here,.

i tell you guys this thing gets more looks and attention than just about any car i have ever owned i was shocked at the amount of positive comments from jsut total strangers.

ill post up some pics soon and gonna track it next week also

george
George, Thanks for the info... Glad the roof issue wasn't anything serious. Post pics when you can.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Ok.. getting mixed reports on the roof recall. Andrew from the UK posted this:

"It's the roof catch at the front of the sun hood; replacement parts not in yet.
I was at Silverstone today and all Spyders were being used (although I have been told not to drive mine with roof on)
rumour (unconfirmed) that some journo's were driving above 124 with the roof on and off they came prompting the recall.
As soon as I have anything further I'll report back "
Old 03-23-2010, 03:26 PM
SpyderMan2011
Intermediate

Default Boxster Spyder first shipment in ny, nj

Hi all...does anyone know when will the first shipment of spyders arrive in New York or New Jersey dealers? Is it anytime in April ? hope not later than end of April.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderMan2011
Hi all...does anyone know when will the first shipment of spyders arrive in New York or New Jersey dealers? Is it anytime in April ? hope not later than end of April.
East Coast has been getting deliveries already. They might have delayed any further though due to the roof recall.

Quick Reply: Boxster S Spyder