Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Boxster S Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:11 PM
robcut1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is PRDQLT today which is a quality control check. It is therefore delayed until the 23rd when completion was scheduled for the 17th. Sounds like it could be the roof issue?? Who knows?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM
robcut1
Instructor

Anyone know of any reviews out on the spyder with the PDK?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:26 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by robcut1
Anyone know of any reviews out on the spyder with the PDK?
Nope... not yet anyway.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:36 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

My car is PRDQLT today which is a quality control check. It is therefore delayed until the 23rd when completion was scheduled for the 17th. Sounds like it could be the roof issue?? Who knows?
That sucks... My completion still says April 1st... 12 days from now
It's looking more and more like ours might be on the same boat.

Quick question for you... when did your status change in the system from PLPROD status?

My car is still in PLPROD with a April 1st. completion. How long does it take to make a car?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:02 PM
robcut1
Instructor

All I have is that on the 12th, it was PRDBDY which means MFG- into Body Shop In Production (Getting Painted) with a completion date of the 17th. Today, it came up the quality control delay. Therefore, your dealer should have updated information I would say 5 to 10 days before the scheduled completion date.
Incidentally, I found an Australian article that compares a PDK spyder to a manual S. He loves the spyder but tries to explain a disconnect due to the concept of the PDK on a lightweight car. I just feel as if I need the pdk since I have a lot of stop and go here and have gotten tired easily of manuals which I have driven for almost 30 years off and on. Also, I like the technical of the PDK when ordered with the sport chrono and exhaust. As the saying goes, if it's good enough for $300,000 Ferrari's......
Old 03-19-2010, 05:07 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

All I have is that on the 12th, it was PRDBDY which means MFG- into Body Shop In Production (Getting Painted) with a completion date of the 17th. Today, it came up the quality control delay. Therefore, your dealer should have updated information I would say 5 to 10 days before the scheduled completion date.
Incidentally, I found an Australian article that compares a PDK spyder to a manual S. He loves the spyder but tries to explain a disconnect due to the concept of the PDK on a lightweight car. I just feel as if I need the pdk since I have a lot of stop and go here and have gotten tired easily of manuals which I have driven for almost 30 years off and on. Also, I like the technical of the PDK when ordered with the sport chrono and exhaust. As the saying goes, if it's good enough for $300,000 Ferrari's......
Cool... I'll check with my dealer the end next week for a status update. As for PDK... It's all based on the needs of the owner. I have owned several Audi's with the dual clutch transmission and loved them. I just missed throwing my own gears personally. It's all preference at the end... I do think we are witnessing the end of the manual though as more and more cars are not offered.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I just drove the two we got in last night. Pretty fun car, the top is a PITA, a lot harder to use than my old 1994 911 Speedster. We got a black one and a white one last night.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 PM
robcut1
Instructor

Trader 220, can you draw any comparisons with the spyder and the RSA? That was an amazing car, so light and nimble unlike anything else I ever drove.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Trader220
Race Car

I owned an RSA and a 94 Speedster. This is really not along those lines. The boxster is still a mid engine car and a totally different beast. This is a nice variant but still a boxster. Its shed a few pounds and the top is cool looking but complex to use and its clearly only for getting caught in the rain. The interior although lighter weight that the standard boxster S is not the total stripper interior that the RSA and Speedster was. The huge advances in technology over the 17 years or so since those cars is evident all over the car. The brakes are better, the motor is better, the gear box is better etc etc. It still has some cowl shake since its a convert. There is a black one sitting 5 feet from me with the top down and its a wicked looking car.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:31 PM
robcut1
Instructor

Thank you for providing the above comments. It helps me keep things in perspective. It has been tough for me to keep any car longer than a year or 2 as a daily driver. I am looking at this as a "special" car that will not be over driven to the point of having to "deal with" the compromises of all enthusiast vehicles whether quiet enough, fast enough, comfortable, cool looking, exotic, keep its value, etc. The only compromise with the spyder though, I believe, especially with the PDK in my case will be the roof allowing excess wind noise as compared with the standard Boxster. I am not so concerned about putting it up and down since you can choose to have it one way or another. Wind noise bothers me though. Is it a compromise I can deal with all the time even though it won't be a daily driver? I don't know. The professional reviews say "a bit more noise", where as a recent review by a UK driver made it clear that in his case it was a bunch more. In any event, I would appreciate more input from individuals driving the car what their impressions are? How did you notice the cowl shake without tracking the car?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Trader220
Race Car

There is no question that’s there's more wind noise. Let’s be very clear the top is there strictly for getting caught in the rain or particularly cold days. The cowl issue is there on any topless car for the most part. I drove it and pushed dam hard. Myself and one other sales guy have enough track experience to notice the subtle issues in any car. It’s not any different than any other boxster S in that respect. Which is to say it’s a very ridged convertible.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:58 PM
robcut1
Instructor

I think it is just too hot here (for me in south Florida) to have to drive roof down most of the time. Even in the winter, the brightness, and associated heat is just too much. I would rather be up north, and have 4 or 5 good months than none here. Unless, of course, there is a hardtop solution down the pike. I just can't think of another better solution for me as stated above for an exotic, enthusiast solution for me (fun, quiet enough, fast enough, track able, comfortable, cool looking, exotic, daily drivable, keep its value, etc.). Never yet found anything I want to keep longer than a year or 2.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:03 PM
robcut1
Instructor

By the way, I wouldn't be so upset that I couldn't drive the car all the time considering all that it offers if it was in the $45000 range, but with options, this baby is 75 large. I guess if you have it, and/or the roof isn't an issue for you personally, go for it. Like I said, maybe a hardtop option, or a cayman varient???
Old 03-20-2010, 08:32 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

By the way, I wouldn't be so upset that I couldn't drive the car all the time considering all that it offers if it was in the $45000 range, but with options, this baby is 75 large. I guess if you have it, and/or the roof isn't an issue for you personally, go for it. Like I said, maybe a hardtop option, or a cayman varient???
Are you considering backing of your order?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 AM
robcut1
Instructor

I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be helpful. I was OK until Trader 220 made it clear that the top is "only" for rain and cold weather protection.
What do you recomend based on my comments previously?
Rob

Quick Reply: Boxster S Spyder