Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023 | 07:37 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plafondles
It did end up selling for $67k
I think that's a good price for seller given the mileage and wear. I'm surprised to see the pronounced plate holes and that dent below the center front grill, being the front bumper and hood were repaired after the theft incident. I personally like the tint, yellow fogs, and red side decal, but it's true they are not good for an auction.

Originally Posted by plafondles
  • 2021 (6 vehicles):
    • Average Price: $71,706.17
    • Average Mileage: 26,915
  • 2022 (11 vehicles)
    • Average Price: $66,823.18
    • Average Mileage: 37,483
For 2021 vs 2022 Cayman R auctions, that's a 40% increase in average mileage with only a 7% decline in average sale price!
Old 01-07-2023 | 11:04 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

thanks for posting, I assume you are referring strictly to the 2010-11 cars? it would be interesting to see manual v PDK, buckets v sofas, etc. I purchased my Boxster Spyder in September 2018 with 21K miles for $50,000. Excellent condition appropriately maintained, no stories. I bought it to enjoy it, drive it, not an investment proposition. PDK, sofas. I have not put a lot of miles on it because I live in Winter and have other P-cars to drive. It now clocks in at 32,000 miles, so 3K per year, non-grocery getter, non-cross-country trips, just enjoyable back road and PCA get togethers. I'm surprised to see it could sell for north of 60. I attribute this to BaT. It's the perfect scenario to inflate prices. Men v men bidding to "win" an auction, potentially way ward bids (just for the heck of it, maybe spike the market?). Good news that you didn't add in the 5% buyer's premium. Imagine those prices? I recently bid on a car on BaT and witnessed first-hand experience of prices skyrocketing for no real reason.
Old 01-08-2023 | 12:04 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grgallo
thanks for posting, I assume you are referring strictly to the 2010-11 cars? it would be interesting to see manual v PDK, buckets v sofas, etc. I purchased my Boxster Spyder in September 2018 with 21K miles for $50,000. Excellent condition appropriately maintained, no stories. I bought it to enjoy it, drive it, not an investment proposition. PDK, sofas. I have not put a lot of miles on it because I live in Winter and have other P-cars to drive. It now clocks in at 32,000 miles, so 3K per year, non-grocery getter, non-cross-country trips, just enjoyable back road and PCA get togethers. I'm surprised to see it could sell for north of 60. I attribute this to BaT. It's the perfect scenario to inflate prices. Men v men bidding to "win" an auction, potentially way ward bids (just for the heck of it, maybe spike the market?). Good news that you didn't add in the 5% buyer's premium. Imagine those prices? I recently bid on a car on BaT and witnessed first-hand experience of prices skyrocketing for no real reason.
Cayman R was only available as a 2012. Relatively few were brought to the US (I’ve consistently read numbers below 700 units).

I owned a Peridot Cayman R bought used in 2013 and driven 22,000 miles and tracked a lot for 3 years until I got the build slot for my 981 GT4. In my opinion, the pricing reflects values, and I’ve seen some cars sell well above $60k. I have followed the market with the notion of possibly purchasing another R (but I don’t see that happening with current values).

Of all the P cars I/we have owned, the ONLY one I regret selling is the Cayman R. For me, it was my “Goldilocks” car. Not too big nor little…just right. But I didn’t know that until I moved on.
I absolutely loved my 981 GT4 and I currently love my 718 GT4 even more - but there was something about that R that was unique. Amazing steering feel. Super nimble. The worst part of the car was the rather vague manual gearbox (especially compared to 981 GT4 gearbox) but other than that I loved everything about it. And I know the gearbox could be improved with some aftermarket products.

I am listed in the current owner’s will as having first right of refusal to buy it when he eventually sells his collection. The buyer owns a couple hundred cars and specifically wanted to add this car (and also to track it with his daughter). Every so often, one of his caretakers calls me with a question. The owner sent me a few photos of a couple of his storage buildings, and my R was sitting amongst 959, ‘73RS, 1957 356A Speedster, etc…

I think they are special cars, but it all depends what you like and how you want to use it. Everyone is different, but the Cayman R sure put a huge grin on my face every time I drove it, and check all the right “boxes” for me.
The following users liked this post:
A432 (01-08-2023)
Old 01-12-2023 | 10:48 AM
TX911
Instructor

Default Spyder at Porsche St. Louis

Anybody know this car?

https://www.porschestlouis.com/used-...CB2A81BS745581

I’m waiting on a DME report, but curious if anyone on here owned it And could shed light on its history and any non-obvious mods (eg Carnewal exhaust, shifter etc). Thanks.
Old 01-12-2023 | 02:00 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TX911
Anybody know this car?

I’m waiting on a DME report, but curious if anyone on here owned it And could shed light on its history and any non-obvious mods (eg Carnewal exhaust, shifter etc). Thanks.
White looks so good on Spyders and Cayman R models. Carfax says it was daily'd in North Carolina for 3 years by the first owner, then was a secondary vehicle for the latest 3 owners. Time in PA, OH, and MO so I'd probably at least want photos of the underside and each wheel well/suspension corner.
Old 01-12-2023 | 05:13 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Not familiar with it, but it looks good on the surface. Buy it while you can!

DaveGee
Old 01-14-2023 | 10:47 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TX911
Anybody know this car?

Says no longer available. Did you purchase it?

Looks like when it was in Ohio it was at a CarMax and sold in August 2020 for $48k when it had 41k miles on it.
Old 01-14-2023 | 02:52 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

2012 Cayman R for sale. White. Buckets. PCCBs. PDK. 10,600 miles. $85k. WP0AB2A89CS793399

https://mart.pca.org/ads/60366

The Cayman R was only produced in 2012 and is the basis for the GT4. This Cayman has a full roll cage, factory ground effects and rear wing. The vehicle was made with carbon fibre seats in black alcantera, and two 6 point Schroth harnesses. 3 point factory harnesses are still installed with warning indicator bypassed with false / loose buckle insert at receiver. Just put the harness behind the seat and drive it as a street car if you wish. Leading edge clear taped. The vehicle is equipped with Pagid high temperature brake pads, oversized high temperature rotors and high temperature fluid. Always garaged, always trailered. Does have tag and registration (passed emissions), but is trailered nonetheless.

Professionally maintained by well known Atlanta shop and all records are available to serious buyers. The R is equipped with Regular mode, Sport mode and Super sport modes ; the exhaust baffles can be opened with a switch on the dash. Computer assist mode can also be turned off via a dashboard switch. Factory lap timing installed. Rennline tow hooks front and rear. Original manuals in the glove box. Comes with custom car dust cover. Always stored inside.

Bluetooth radio to phone or USB. Intercom system for in car communication between driver and passenger and all track tools available.

Cayman also has factory PCCB carbon ceramic pads and rotors if you prefer. They are here and available with the car.

Two programmed keys available.

Being near Atlanta (Porsche headquarters) parts are easy to obtain now as always and plenty of knowledgeable mechanics. Car inspected between each trip.

Super track car or daily driver.

Marietta, Georgia
Old 01-23-2023 | 05:00 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
2012 Cayman R for sale. White. Buckets. PCCBs. PDK. 10,600 miles. $85k. WP0AB2A89CS793399

https://mart.pca.org/ads/60366

The Cayman R was only produced in 2012 and is the basis for the GT4. This Cayman has a full roll cage, factory ground effects and rear wing. The vehicle was made with carbon fibre seats in black alcantera, and two 6 point Schroth harnesses. 3 point factory harnesses are still installed with warning indicator bypassed with false / loose buckle insert at receiver. Just put the harness behind the seat and drive it as a street car if you wish. Leading edge clear taped. The vehicle is equipped with Pagid high temperature brake pads, oversized high temperature rotors and high temperature fluid. Always garaged, always trailered. Does have tag and registration (passed emissions), but is trailered nonetheless.

Professionally maintained by well known Atlanta shop and all records are available to serious buyers. The R is equipped with Regular mode, Sport mode and Super sport modes ; the exhaust baffles can be opened with a switch on the dash. Computer assist mode can also be turned off via a dashboard switch. Factory lap timing installed. Rennline tow hooks front and rear. Original manuals in the glove box. Comes with custom car dust cover. Always stored inside.

Bluetooth radio to phone or USB. Intercom system for in car communication between driver and passenger and all track tools available.

Cayman also has factory PCCB carbon ceramic pads and rotors if you prefer. They are here and available with the car.

Two programmed keys available.

Being near Atlanta (Porsche headquarters) parts are easy to obtain now as always and plenty of knowledgeable mechanics. Car inspected between each trip.

Super track car or daily driver.

Marietta, Georgia
That was quick for a non-auction example...gone before I could check it out.
Old 02-07-2023 | 06:09 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

2011 Boxster Spyder on BaT
Black on black, PDK, 32k miles
Lightweight carbon buckets, Sport Chrono, Xenon
WP0CB2A80BS745555

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ter-spyder-65/

plafondles (02-07-2023)
Old 02-14-2023 | 04:15 PM
plafondles
Instructor

Bid to $55.5k but reserve not met. With the buckets it should have gone to $60k, which I bet is where the reserve was at. Bummer the first car of 2023 is a RNM!
SFZ GT3 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023 | 04:48 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Agree that $60k was probably the right number. But, the aftermarket stereo install looked tacky as did the radar detector controls.

And the canvas top was filthy. Why sellers don’t understand the “put your best foot forward” mantra is beyond me.

DaveGee
SFZ GT3 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023 | 07:35 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Full disclosure, I am a 2011 Boxster Spyder owner, 31,000 miles, Arctic silver over black, PDK Sport Chrono, Sport steering wheel with paddles, Borla after-market exhaust, otherwise bone stock. Always maintained and garaged. Love the car, the drive, the handling the top (especially the sunshade feature, no rear window or partition) ... Anyway, I digress, I am surprised this black on black, LWB, PDK didn't meet reserve. A few months ago, a similar mileage car, OK a manual, black on black sold for plus $60K. Also note in post-auction ending comments on this car an individual noted they recently sold a similar car for $63K. I agree the top on this car should have been cleaned up, the after-market info-tainment system and radar button/wiring were issues. Also, for me I prefer paddles to buttons with PDK.

Perhaps the market is softening?
Old 02-14-2023 | 07:52 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

From a macro perspective, a softening is probably finally happening to more attractive specialty cars. (it's been happening overall for 4-5 months)
If it continues, it should expand to GT3/GT4/Classic 911's etc. etc. but then the supply/demand curve gets wonky when you're down to very few examples.
Depends how bad investor confidence gets as a recession becomes more and more likely (not predicting, simply saying prices will decrease more if that happens)

United States Manheim Used Vehicle Value Index YoY - January 2023 Data (tradingeconomics.com)
Old 02-14-2023 | 09:51 PM
AndrewLakes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A432
From a macro perspective, a softening is probably finally happening to more attractive specialty cars. (it's been happening overall for 4-5 months)
If it continues, it should expand to GT3/GT4/Classic 911's etc. etc. but then the supply/demand curve gets wonky when you're down to very few examples.
Depends how bad investor confidence gets as a recession becomes more and more likely (not predicting, simply saying prices will decrease more if that happens)

United States Manheim Used Vehicle Value Index YoY - January 2023 Data (tradingeconomics.com)
Not to mention the completely new phenomenon of impending electrification and 1) getting that "bucket list" car before it's all over, 2) realizing you should keep that bucket list car for eternity as nothing will be able to replace it, and 3) better get it asap before they are all gone!

Quick Reply: The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread