Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 06:12 PM
adam_987.2
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

From my research the only difference between the Spyder and Cayman R suspension is the rear sway bar which is stiffer on a Cayman R.
The following users liked this post:
SeanPatrick31 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 11:43 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Yes, there is a difference. 20mm lowering (due to springs) and also different struts. The 20mm lowering could have been had on a CS.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9872CSPS.html

http://www.motorologist.com/wp-conte...R-brochure.pdf
Quoting from the 2011 Spyder hardcover catalogue ("the green book"): "The body is 20 mm lower at the front and rear axle than that of the Boxster S." The Spyder and the Cayman R both had the identical stance.
SeanPatrick31 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 12:25 PM
Andy Ordonez
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent write-up and thanx for sharing your thoughts and perspective! I've had my Cayman R for almost a year now and put about 15K miles on it - it's much too enjoyable to let sit. I've also done 6 track days and numerous autox events, and can attest to it's amazing ability to be comfortable to drive to the track and an absolute blast on the the track. Upgrades thus far address items you mention and further improved handling: Soul Performance exhaust, GT3 master brake cylinder, SS lines, slotted discs, Ferodo DS1500 pads, GT3 LCAs, Tarett front and rear sway bars. Between the mid-engine layout, hydraulic steering, excellent manual gearbox, flat-six normally-aspirated engine, and perfect driving ergonomics, it's hard to imagine a better driver's car!

The following 7 users liked this post by Andy Ordonez:
d90spyder (09-20-2021), dbarry (09-24-2021), Miggytosh (09-24-2021), plafondles (09-20-2021), SCMike (09-20-2021), Soul Performance (09-20-2021), The Duke (09-20-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-20-2021, 04:59 PM
sectachrome
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Yes, there is a difference. 20mm lowering (due to springs) and also different struts. The 20mm lowering could have been had on a CS.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9872CSPS.html

http://www.motorologist.com/wp-conte...R-brochure.pdf
They are definitely different to the standard and S versions of the car, but differences between the Spyder and R setups themselves are minimal. I have the kit you linked to from Suncoast on my car.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:23 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,986 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_987.2
From my research the only difference between the Spyder and Cayman R suspension is the rear sway bar which is stiffer on a Cayman R.
Originally Posted by SCMike
Quoting from the 2011 Spyder hardcover catalogue ("the green book"): "The body is 20 mm lower at the front and rear axle than that of the Boxster S." The Spyder and the Cayman R both had the identical stance.
Originally Posted by sectachrome
They are definitely different to the standard and S versions of the car, but differences between the Spyder and R setups themselves are minimal. I have the kit you linked to from Suncoast on my car.
Yes, I was just having some difficulty reading that morning. Lol. I was saying from S to Spyder/R. Spyder/R are the same it seems.
sectachrome (09-23-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 03:39 AM
blindfold
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

for those running soul catted headers, would this be loud on a boxster when the top is down? Any insights? I'm thinking soul or cargraphic headers paired with PSE
Soul Performance (09-27-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 04:14 AM
Cougarav8r
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 34 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/spyder-c...-2-spyder.html

For information regarding soul catted headers.... they are NOT too loud. A perfect symphony imho.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cougarav8r:
doworkexotics (09-25-2021), Soul Performance (09-27-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 07:29 AM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougarav8r
https://rennlist.com/forums/spyder-c...-2-spyder.html

For information regarding soul catted headers.... they are NOT too loud. A perfect symphony imho.

Thank you for this! I’m looking to either get a cat back or headers for my Cayman R. This is helpful!
Old 09-26-2021, 06:37 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 270 Posts

Great review and I agree on all points. My R is almost identical (Guards Red, PSE, GT2 buckets, 6-speed manual) and the only thing I feel like I needed to do is a bit louder exhaust... I have Fabspeed long-tube race headers sitting on the shelf in the garage waiting for install.

The only car I'd consider trading the R for is a 997.1 GT3, and even then it's a hard choice. The 3.6 and 5-lug... IMO it is peak GT3 for the DIY weekend/track driver. Enjoy yours
Old 10-03-2021, 03:33 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,986 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
Great review and I agree on all points. My R is almost identical (Guards Red, PSE, GT2 buckets, 6-speed manual) and the only thing I feel like I needed to do is a bit louder exhaust... I have Fabspeed long-tube race headers sitting on the shelf in the garage waiting for install.

The only car I'd consider trading the R for is a 997.1 GT3, and even then it's a hard choice. The 3.6 and 5-lug... IMO it is peak GT3 for the DIY weekend/track driver. Enjoy yours
Thanks Zach! If you ever have any GT3 questions I can help with, feel free to reach out.

The GT3 is a truly great car and I would recommend it to anyone looking for an analog driving experience with a manual transmission, hydraulic steering and what I consider one of the best engines Porsche has made. But like mentioned in my post, if I wanted to spend $70k (in today's prices) instead of $100k+ (in today's prices), I think an R or Spyder is the best Porsche to buy for a weekend only car. That $30k price difference is a lot of money, you could buy an M3 with that difference or a daily driver. The GT3 for me was a car I wanted to buy and then keep long term, which is why I went that direction.

Joe
Old 10-03-2021, 08:03 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

I love the guards red! I agree that an exhaust or headers are needed. I am thinking about doing headers with high flow cats to increase the volume. Need to do more research but I'd like to keep the PSE functionality. The more I drive the CR, the more I love it.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:03 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by doworkexotics
I love the guards red! I agree that an exhaust or headers are needed. I am thinking about doing headers with high flow cats to increase the volume. Need to do more research but I'd like to keep the PSE functionality. The more I drive the CR, the more I love it.
I purchased the modified OEM headers from Carnewal, here: http://www.carnewal.com/products/987...nge-Sport-Cats

Gert takes a set of in-stock OEM headers that are close to the mileage of your car, opens them up, removes the stock 800 cell cats, replaces with HJS 200 cell racing cats, and very (very!) cleanly tig welds them back up. Looks like it came right from the Porsche factory. The 200 cell cats added about +30% in volume with the PSE valves open, and basically sounds identical to stock when the valves are closed. Shipping from Carnewal in Belgium was 2 days and not very expensive. You then return your core headers to him in the same box / packaging. Perfect fitment as they are OEM headers, sound amazing, keeps the PSE functionality and no check engine light. I highly recommend them over aftermarket catted headers, which I've had plenty of in the past. Can't beat the perfect OEM fitment & quality.

Hope that helps.
sectachrome (10-07-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 10:59 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

After some research I finally decided on an exhaust for my Cayman R. My main desire was to increase the volume but retain the same tone. I am all about the sound of a car but the tone has to be perfect. I did not want it to sound low and bass sounding as many larger diameter aftermarket exhaust do. Stock my car came with PSE and while it was a nice volume increase, it was not what I was expecting from an "R" version Porsche. My other sports car is very loud so this was a bit of a disappointment. Finally, I ended up going with an FVD sound version cat back exhaust! Wow am I impressed. The sound version is the louder of the two options and it is definitely loud but the tone is perfect. Over 3K rpms it starts to have the overtones like a GT cup car/GT3. It is wonderful. Very high pitch and exotic sounding which is exactly what I was going for! Sub 3K rpms and the interior noise is boomy but welcomed as sub 3K the PSE was fairly quiet. The over-rev burbles are enjoyable and the downshifts sound glorious. I love the downshift bark! If you are looking for an exhaust that provides you the cup car/GT3 like tones and howls of the glorious flat 6, then FVD is the way to go. Couldn't be happier! I will try to post some sound clips once it stops raining.....and hopefully before the snow starts.....
Old 10-29-2021, 11:17 PM
doworkexotics
Advanced

Originally Posted by doworkexotics
After some research I finally decided on an exhaust for my Cayman R. My main desire was to increase the volume but retain the same tone. I am all about the sound of a car but the tone has to be perfect. I did not want it to sound low and bass sounding as many larger diameter aftermarket exhaust do. Stock my car came with PSE and while it was a nice volume increase, it was not what I was expecting from an "R" version Porsche. My other sports car is very loud so this was a bit of a disappointment. Finally, I ended up going with an FVD sound version cat back exhaust! Wow am I impressed. The sound version is the louder of the two options and it is definitely loud but the tone is perfect. Over 3K rpms it starts to have the overtones like a GT cup car/GT3. It is wonderful. Very high pitch and exotic sounding which is exactly what I was going for! Sub 3K rpms and the interior noise is boomy but welcomed as sub 3K the PSE was fairly quiet. The over-rev burbles are enjoyable and the downshifts sound glorious. I love the downshift bark! If you are looking for an exhaust that provides you the cup car/GT3 like tones and howls of the glorious flat 6, then FVD is the way to go. Couldn't be happier! I will try to post some sound clips once it stops raining.....and hopefully before the snow starts.....

Last edited by doworkexotics; 11-10-2021 at 11:31 AM.
The Duke (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 03:35 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

I eagerly await your posting of sound clips!

This is one of the exhausts that's on my shortlist for my CS.

Last edited by The Duke; 10-30-2021 at 03:40 PM.
doworkexotics (11-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Cayman R drive