Sponsored by:

DIY Custom Ducktail

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:54 AM
sc235813
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
I am probably done until spring when I take it in for painting...
looks phenomenal. cannot wait to see it painted. used to bug me that i couldn't see the spoiler deck lift in RVM past 70 (or is it 75?) - which also factored into getting the ducktail. i still have the original deck and mechanism. may try doing this as well for a fun project (you should expect a lot of copycats emanating from this thread). very nice! and thanks very much for the share.

then again, there's also my wife's black ed... but she might kill me for messing with her car
Old 01-16-2017, 10:11 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks for all the comments.

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
from some angles it looks awesome, from some others it looks a little out of scale...
When you say out of scale, do you mean too small for the car or not symmetrical?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:25 AM
sc235813
Instructor

not my question to respond to but assuming golfnutintib means 'too small', imo, what plat997 made is not so much a ducktail, but a deck-lip, so at least from my pov, comparing it to a misha or getty is like oranges and watermelons. don't think this was ever meant to have the 'presence' of a duck.

moreover, plat997's still moves, whereas ducks are fixed. for this project, singer is my mental comparison, i.e.,:

except his costs less than $1/2 million.

Last edited by sc235813; 01-16-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:35 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

i have to agree, it looks a little small in proportion to the rest of the car.

golfnut, that color + ducktail

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
your added photos pose a very interesting look... from some angles it looks awesome, from some others it looks a little out of scale... maybe when the paint is matched it will look different again and seem more at home on the car.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

It looks a little small to me too!

Tom
Old 01-17-2017, 09:07 AM
porscheaddicted
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myw
i have to agree, it looks a little small in proportion to the rest of the car.

golfnut, that color + ducktail
+1 on that
Old 01-17-2017, 01:01 PM
stoked_on_spool
Intermediate

I personally love the size and shape of it.

Can't wait to see it painted too!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:51 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

IMO. from a guy with UX/UI exp, it may look small because it is a uniform color. That is, the color of the lip is the same as the rest of the decklid. If you added an accent color to highlight the edge of the lip just as the Singer 911 has, it will stand out more and draw the eye more. I think it could look great but toy with some accent lines to be sure it isn't drowned out by the massive gray a$$ our cars have. Great work here!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:55 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

Originally Posted by nwGTS
IMO. from a guy with UX/UI exp, it may look small because it is a uniform color. That is, the color of the lip is the same as the rest of the decklid. If you added an accent color to highlight the edge of the lip just as the Singer 911 has, it will stand out more and draw the eye more. I think it could look great but toy with some accent lines to be sure it isn't drowned out by the massive gray a$$ our cars have. Great work here!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:25 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Thanks...good comments.

It's definitely not a design for everyone. As some of us agree, the options out there for wings/ducktails are a little to big in our opinion. The good news is, swapping this part of the deck lid takes about 5 min so pretty easy to switch it if my mood or taste change.

I agree with the recommendation on a accent color for the lip. I was thinking paint the lid the same color as the car, then maybe the back underside of the lip a black. That should match the theme with the rest of the car add a nice accent. Will probably have it painted all one color and then I can play around with some plasti dip before committing.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:36 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
I agree with the recommendation on a accent color for the lip. I was thinking paint the lid the same color as the car, then maybe the back underside of the lip a black. That should match the theme with the rest of the car add a nice accent. Will probably have it painted all one color and then I can play around with some plasti dip before committing.
Picturing that, i think it could look great. The reason the singer lip accent looks good is because the bumper also has an identical accent in the same rubber and same finish. I'd suggest you match any accent to another accent on the rear of the car like your tail pipes. They look like they are matte black so I'd choose that as the accent for whatever you add to the lip.

A suggestion for mocking. Use electrical tape, or even better if you have it, black vinyl window cling. The latter is easy to cut and easy to remove and reposition. Once you have it applied how you want it, outline the vinyl in painters tape, mask the rest and go to town with your dip. But honestly, vinyl is the way to go. Just trace the cling on an adhesive vinyl of your choice.

Another suggestion to continue the retro look is to have text like 'PORSCHE' or 'CARRERA' in negative space on the underside of the lip. Though you'd need a vinyl cutter and software to do that (I have one and would do that for you if you get that far).
This is what I mean by negative space instead of just the entire underside in black:

Just another suggestion. Lots you can do here. Would love to see your take on it.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

I like the li'l duck!

I also can appreciate taking the initiative to do something different.

Nice work!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Picturing that, i think it could look great. The reason the singer lip accent looks good is because the bumper also has _ same finish. I'd suggest you match any accent to another accent on the rear of the car like your tail pipes. They look like they are matte black so I'd choose that as the accent for whatever you add to the lip.

A suggestion for mocking. Use electrical tape, or even better if you have it, black vinyl window cling. The latter is easy to cut and easy to remove and reposition. Once you have it applied how you want it, outline the vinyl in painters tape, mask the rest and go to town with your dip. But honestly, vinyl is the way to go. Just trace the cling on an adhesive vinyl of your choice.

Another suggestion to continue the retro look is to have text like 'PORSCHE' or 'CARRERA' in negative space on the underside of the lip. Though you'd need a vinyl cutter and software to do that (I have one and would do that for you if you get that far).
Good suggestions.

If you can do vinyl, I'm looking for someone to make a template for a mirror update I did. This is plasti-dip but vinyl in different colors has potential. Pm me.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:10 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 876 Posts

I, for one, like the size and find the traditional duck tail a little odd--especially from behind.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good job. I appreciate the originality. More of that is needed in this community.

Quick Reply: DIY Custom Ducktail