Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
The Overseas Highway in a 911 must have been spectacular!

Indeed it was! Hope to do it again in the spring
Old 01-02-2017, 11:50 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Mike, it's good to see another Raleigh member. I hope to meet you at a Cars n Coffee this spring. Maybe you, GoPirates and I can meet up for a beer sometime.

BTW, I just ordered the Billy Boat center muffler delete. I may be PM'ing you in the next couple of weeks to get some pointers on how to remove the rear bumper.

BTW, both of your 997s look great.
Sounds good, happy to meet up for a beer and happy to give you some pointers on changing out the center muffler. Foru tools that will make the job easier besides the usual socket set are a #13 ratcheting wrench, a blow torch if you want to put in new studs or remove the ones that you broke, an extra-long extension for your ratchet handle, and a joint socket adapter.

Unfortunately, I can only keep one which is why I was returning the Carrera to stock. I will miss the manual and the analog feel of that car though (and the vented seats).
Old 01-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
A pit picture heavy, but here is my Sharkwerks X pipe and Fister swap between my '09 Carrera and the '12 4S. It was interesting to see how similar they are but also the subtle differences. As most projects go, it took longer than expected but the pregnant wife was very patient with me spending the weekend in the garage.
Real nice job Mike & even better when you can do it yourself
Old 01-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Did a small detail today, removed a few light marks, mainly around the frunk from closing it and then finished with Sonax Xtremem Protect and shine Hybrid NPT.
It gives a really nice glossy shine for a sealant and has amazing beading properties.
Attached Images    
Old 01-02-2017, 01:34 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ni_Mo
Real nice job Mike & even better when you can do it yourself
Thanks! You would think I could do it in my sleep by now but I somehow put the silver bumper on without plugging in the license plate light. Of course I realized this only after I had installed all the screws.

I say a car is not yours until you have spilled blood on it.

Rainy 50 degree day today so I took the S4 out to play. The AWD with aero is phenomenal! I was pushing corners at speeds that I would not dream of in the Carrera. I did not think the aero would make that big of a difference but it is definitely noticeable. The AWD is great on hard acceleration in the wet as all four wheels claw to keep the car in a straight line. It is probably too confidence inspiring.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:41 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Aero effects really do work. My CTSV had it and was super stable at 140. My Nismo Z too and you could feel it hunker down above 100. I'm thinking of getting the TechArt front splitter and rear wing to get the aero. I can't find the OEM kit. It's amazing how the C4S claws around turns when the LSD on the outer wheel digs in.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 AM
VanSant62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceter
Mike, it's good to see another Raleigh member. I hope to meet you at a Cars n Coffee this spring. Maybe you, GoPirates and I can meet up for a beer sometime.

BTW, I just ordered the Billy Boat center muffler delete. I may be PM'ing you in the next couple of weeks to get some pointers on how to remove the rear bumper.

BTW, both of your 997s look great.

I did my 11' C4S without removing the rear bumper, you just do not need to reinstall the long hangers for the exhaust with the BBE center delete. It was a bit tricky getting to the nuts up top but I did it in about 1.25 hours, and a lil bit of cussing!
Old 01-03-2017, 11:27 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

The first time I did the center muffler delete, I also did it without removing the bumper. When I did the Fisters a few months later, I did remove the bumper. Either way, it is your preference and it may depend on the orientation of the clamps.

Whatever you do, coat those threads with anti-seize and you will thank yourself next time you are under the car.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:22 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Why did the c4s have single exhaust pipes? I thought all 4s came with quad pipes?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:04 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Why did the c4s have single exhaust pipes? I thought all 4s came with quad pipes?

see above, this was my first question? Thought S cars all came with dual tips and the wide singe was left to the base cars?

Congrats on the purchase, late model 99.2 wide body with aero.... quiet the package.

You mentioned you felt the grip and aero how about the extra power in the S?

congrats on the new car
Old 01-03-2017, 06:12 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I though the same as well. Perhaps the PO fitted these to complete the "Turbo" look?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:50 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

I thought so too and I pointed it out to the dealer. He just shrugged and asked if I was going to buy the car as there were four more buyers lined up. I was not too worried about it as I obviously had plans as soon as I got it home.

Originally Posted by mickfluff
see above, this was my first question? Thought S cars all came with dual tips and the wide singe was left to the base cars?

Congrats on the purchase, late model 99.2 wide body with aero.... quiet the package.

You mentioned you felt the grip and aero how about the extra power in the S?

congrats on the new car
Yes, the extra 40 horses is definitely noticeable. The PDK in sport and Sport plus make it even quicker. Definitely a better overall track car but I think the Carrera is a better back road carver as the 4S is also noticeably heavier.

You can't have it all. My wife says I have automotive ADD and she is probably right.

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-03-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:47 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I thought so too and I pointed it out to the dealer. He just shrugged and asked if I was going to buy the car as there were four more buyers lined up. I was not too worried about it as I obviously had plans as soon as I got it home.
You sure he just didn't stick the S on the back of a C4.......
Old 01-04-2017, 01:13 AM
Rico's997
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Wheels

Today I went over to Wheel Dynamics in El Monte, CA and Eli hooked up a set of F1's.
Attached Images    
Old 01-04-2017, 10:56 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

You sure he just didn't stick the S on the back of a C4.......
I think you are right. They were really committees to the fraud as they also swapped in a 3.8 and they bribed someone at Porsche AG so that when the vin is run in a vin decoder, it comes up as an "S"

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?