Notices

ICE STORM

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 08:50 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Next time buy a suction pump to make your life easier.
Only works if you have a generator during a power outage.

A long flexible hose to siphon the water would work better, we had to do that at my sister's house to drain the two aquariums they have, although I don't know why they kept water in one of them, as they only have one goldfish that's about 3 inches length!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

^^ Good point LOL just pulled the trigger on a very well reviewed port generator from Harbour Freight that will be shipped to CBI. On sale for $289.99 4000P/3200R watts, 6.5 HP (212 CC)

After 6.5 days total this year with no hydro and small kids its time to have a back up plan.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:35 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pags993
just pulled the trigger on a very well reviewed port generator from Harbour Freight that will be shipped to CBI. On sale for $289.99 4000P/3200R watts, 6.5 HP (212 CC)
Just saw that as the first item on the incoming flyer from Harbour Freight, you may not have to have it shipped to CBI unless it's free shipping anyway since there are Harbour Freight stores in Niagara Falls, NY for store pick up, although it's not as close to the border as CBI is.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Pags993
Drifting

^^ I thought about the p/u at store option but the cost of shipping to CBI via FedEx Ground was $6.99!! One stop at CBI as I have other items to pickup as well for the winter pcar projects
Old 12-26-2013, 09:55 PM
aviography
Drifting

^ makes sense, I may be right behind you!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Power was off for anther 3 hours today.
I guess the extra weight from the snowfall is bringing down more trees.
And the wind is next.
Bring it on!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Pags993
Drifting

My aunts place mid town has been on and off 12 times over the past 5 days! At one point on Monday all 5 homes in the immediate family were out. Not fun bust most importantly everyone was safe and sounds and that's all that really matters.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 401 Posts

looks like harbour freight has them for 339. was there a sale that ended on the 26th midnight?
Old 12-27-2013, 02:09 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aviography
Only works if you have a generator during a power outage.

A long flexible hose to siphon the water would work better, we had to do that at my sister's house to drain the two aquariums they have, although I don't know why they kept water in one of them, as they only have one goldfish that's about 3 inches length!
I have a siphon hose w/ a ball bearing in it that you lift a few times and it creates suction, would have worked to drain the tub. don't you have a drain plug now that I think of it, usually you can connect a hose to it.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:25 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
This is the time to get into the generator business for a couple of years!!

I'll be looking for one as well, Canadian Tire has a 2,400 watt generator on sale this week for $300, http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...l#.Ury95rTWfCc

Obviously they are all sold out everywhere, but I might go get a rain-check to pick it up later, it's under 100 lb, so should be quite manageable, and should be sufficient for the needs in my house to rotate through furnace, fridge/freezer, water heater (run on natural gas but needs power vent motor to be running), small table top electric stove, and a small fan to circulate warm air from the natural gas fireplace around. And should be able to sneak in a load of laundry if I just use the house heat to air dry afterwards.

Or I might look into a Honda one.....
That should be enough to run the furnace , the fridge, the water heater all at the same time. Even the washing machine too. I have a sixty amp breaker in my Guelph house and run hot tub, electric dryer, hot water boiler and all the other appliances in my house. That generator gives you over 20 amps of power. Which should be plenty to keep you warm and comfortable.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I have a siphon hose w/ a ball bearing in it that you lift a few times and it creates suction, would have worked to drain the tub. don't you have a drain plug now that I think of it, usually you can connect a hose to it.
Every Hot tub I have ever owned, has had a drain that you connect a hose to. Also make sure you drain the pumps themselves. They have a small drain **** at the bottom to get the last bit of water out of it.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Does the generator use less gas if it is smaller (I assume). Also I assume it uses the same amount of gas regardless of the load being drawn?
Refilling the gas is a drag. For the gas usage it may be worthwhile to go for the smaller one. It doesn't seem like worth it to get a natural gas one for a few grand to use every five years for a day unless this happens but more often ...but thinking about it.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:47 AM
aviography
Drifting

looks like harbour freight has them for 339. was there a sale that ended on the 26th midnight?
PM me your email address and I'll forward you the HF email with the coupon reducing this to US$289 until Dec. 31st.

Note that I read all the reviews, this unit only has 90 days standard warranty, so people are advising purchasing the 2-year extended warranty, I think that's another $50, also the wheels kit for another $25, starts to add up quickly.

The Cdn Tire one was only on sale until yesterday, so I've missed getting a rain-check. It had two year warranty according to one of the Q&A, I think I would still prefer to get one locally for ease of warranty claim should it become necessary.

Last edited by aviography; 12-27-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:51 AM
aviography
Drifting

Does the generator use less gas if it is smaller (I assume). Also I assume it uses the same amount of gas regardless of the load being drawn?
Refilling the gas is a drag. For the gas usage it may be worthwhile to go for the smaller one. It doesn't seem like worth it to get a natural gas one for a few grand to use every five years for a day unless this happens but more often ...but thinking about it.
A lower output wattage will only require a smaller displacement engine, so yes it will use less gas, all else being equal.

Gas consumption will be higher with higher load as the engine must produce more horsepower to overcome the resistance from the generator section providing more output current, obviously there will be a minimum consumption even if there is no electrical load connected to the generator.

Last edited by aviography; 12-27-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

thanks Avio
Old 12-27-2013, 11:22 AM
aviography
Drifting

I've put the following comments in post #36 as a PSA.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Folks, I've come to realize running this 80,000 BTU propane heater in an enclosed area such as the basement was not a good idea, as carbon monoxide is being generated by this heater, the heater instruction states the unit is to be used for "workshops and construction site", it does not say it is or is not suitable for indoor use, which I thought was very vague on the part of the manufacturer.

The only positive side is we were only using it for a couple of hours each day, and not residing in the house otherwise, we will take a battery powered carbon monoxide detector there today to see if the warning buzzer trips off in the basement or upstairs while using this heater.

Quick Reply: ICE STORM