Notices

ICE STORM

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I live in a large bungalow, but can't hook up furnace to generator without an electrician I think
Just get a small generator, electric heaters with fan, led light strings, electric frying pan, gas bbq, heavy duty power cables, mobile electric cooler, pick a few rooms to heat. Pull out the sweaters, wool socks and sleepbags.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:09 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I think it is good for all of us who own homes and drive Porsches to be reminded how many people around the world live every day.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:15 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

One from the front yard last night.

Last edited by TurboS; 05-29-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:51 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Awesome. The last time I recall an ice storm of this order was when my brother and I with a bed sheet between us skated the 401 for few miles. Getting back was a bitch though. That was 50 years ago.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

There is an upside to ice storms - it sure is pretty.

Last edited by Torontoworker; 01-12-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:44 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 157 Likes on 100 Posts

I live in a large bungalow, but can't hook up furnace to generator without an electrician I think
If your not afraid, you pull the breaker off the panel and wire directly to the furnace. Done.
Even 1000 watt inverter & a car battery will run the furnace a few times.
It's only the fan motor that need juice.

City Panic 24 (CP24) would have you running for cover.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

It's not that hard. If you want PM me and I can talk you through it. I'm working x-mas day anyway and if I'm not that busy I may be able to help you out. It will be tomorrow evening until I can get back to you.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very easy to do:

1. Turn off the Main Breakers on the panel. THIS IS A MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Look at the panel and locate the furnace breaker. The row it is located on is called a phase. MAKE SURE THE MAIN BREAKERS ARE TURNED OFF!!!!!

3. Find an electrical outlet on the same phase that is close to where your generator is located. Turn off all the other breakers on that phase. Turn off the furnace at the switch by the furnace.

4. Take a 12 gage extension cord and plug one end into the generator. The other end requires a jumper that has two male plugs on both ends. Make sure it is 12 gage wire. This can be made up from parts at any hardware store. MAKE SURE THE MAIN BREAKERS ARE SWITCHED OFF. Take this jumper and plug one end to the extension cord and the other into the electrical socket that is on the same phase as the furnace. To make the jumper follow this code. Black Gold, white silver and green ground. The corresponding wire must be connected to its corresponding coloured terminal.
5. Turn on the furnace and check to see if it is running. It should be running fine if the above is followed. The furnace should run until the house gets up to a nice temp which is usually less than an hour. You only need to run the furnace every once in a while. Same with your fridge and freezer so the generator does not need to be running constantly. This way a tank of gas will go a long way.

I would look for a generator that puts out close to 25 Amps or more to be able to run the furnace which has about 6 amps current draw, a fridge which is less than 6 amps and a few lights and chargers for phones, laptops and your cordless phone. This will keep you going for a while.

Remember:

TURN OFF THE MAIN BREAKERS FIRST

Once hydro is restored, remove the generator and cords first before turning the main breakers back on.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
If your not afraid, you pull the breaker off the panel and wire directly to the furnace. Done.
Even 1000 watt inverter & a car battery will run the furnace a few times.
It's only the fan motor that need juice.

City Panic 24 (CP24) would have you running for cover.
I would not do this ... and I have been trained

Oh, for the first time my hydro did NOT go off. They ran a new feed and replaced the first 3 poles that feeds my hood. Everyone else was down and they are slowly coming back up. Tonight they are still out for many blocks.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:57 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
I have a small generator that hooks directly into my natural gas line. Coincidentally enough, I had it installed last week. Enough to operate fridge, heat, hot water and some lighting in bedrooms and bathrooms. Was not cheap but I am always worried about doomsday scenarios... Which is why I also have a gun locker
A luxury worth having!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Definitely going to check into the Nat gas option!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

Thanks very much for the advice/offers. It actually is not that cold in the house new around 12 on the main floor 15 in the basement. Running a space heater now off the generator and had the fridge running for a couple hours. My family is at the inlaws nearby they have power. Came down to office to get internet, and watch the end of the football game and it was an awesome finish. I think it would be hard to get the parts at a hardware after midnight (now) but if power is out tomorrow, I will take Jack's advice and get the furnace going...thank you for the instructions, I will print them out now. I will crash on the couch tonight with a -30 sleeping bag.
Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:50 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Just a note.

What Jaak is suggesting is illegal in Canada. Even simple lockout switches are illegal up here. You need to get a transfer switch.

In emergencies, maybe...

MAKE SURE the MAIN is OFF.

Another work around is to take the romex out of the electrical panel, and put a male end on that and plug it into an extension cord.

This is assuming you are comfortable with electricity.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:04 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
Just a note. What Jaak is suggesting is illegal in Canada. Even simple lockout switches are illegal up here. You need to get a transfer switch. In emergencies, maybe... MAKE SURE the MAIN is OFF. Another work around is to take the romex out of the electrical panel, and put a male end on that and plug it into an extension cord. This is assuming you are comfortable with electricity.
Jaak didn't suggest it.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:14 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm finally back in my house after 2 days. Spent yesterday afternoon emptying my hot tub one bucket at a time and then managing to borrow a generator for 30 minutes to shop vac all of the jets dry. Hopefully I managed to get all the water out, or I am down one very expensive hot tub

Quick Reply: ICE STORM