Notices

ICE STORM

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Innovative!! However probably only 1 person in thousands will have the knowledge, ability, and the equipment on hand to be able to do that, I certainly can't expect my elderly parents in their mid 80's to haul a couple of car batteries down to the basement, turn off the main breaker, and hook up the inverters.

Changing the topic somewhat, what about water? Who lost water last week during the power outage?

I recall in the 2003 summer blackout a coworker in Brampton lost water pressure very quickly, but he had just filled his kiddie pool the day before so neighbors were coming to borrow water to flush their toilets! I never lost water pressure the entire time, nor did I loose water pressure a week ago, but I still filled both tubs in the house with water before my power went out just in case things have changed since 10 years ago.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

No problem with water pressure at all.
In fact, I had lots of hot water as well as my 15 year old water tank has an old fashioned pilot light & not a piezo!
Gas stove worked fine, Just had to light it with a match and the gas fireplace worked just fine as well.
House never went below 18. I could've easily survived a week.
Loaned out the camp stoves to the neighbors with electric stoves. (now they're all considering gas stoves)

For those considering permanent generators like I am, vs portable, may I suggest a natural gas unit.
Natural gas always seems to be there. I don't ever recall natural gas being out or pressure dropping.
Also, you won't have to worry about stale gas, gummed carburetors or no gas for that matter.
Some seem to forget that when the powers out, gas pumps are as well.
I've looked and some portable propane units can be had for as low as $500 and installed units starting at about $2k. Not bad when you think about it.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 AM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by wc11
In fact, I had lots of hot water as well as my 15 year old water tank has an old fashioned pilot light & not a piezo!
Your water heater likely does not have an electrically powered vent motor either, that is also a big plus, else the water heater won't turn on without power. My last house had a mid efficiency gas water heater with pilot light and without a power vent motor, so it would work perfectly fine during power outage too.

Gas stove worked fine, Just had to light it with a match
That was about the only saving grace for my sister, she boiled water, put them in bottles and bring it to the areas need to be heated.

For those considering permanent generators like I am, vs portable, may I suggest a natural gas unit.
Natural gas always seems to be there. I don't ever recall natural gas being out or pressure dropping.
Also, you won't have to worry about stale gas, gummed carburetors .
It is definitely an upside, other than the size of the unit, most people probably don't have enough space to give up for a permanent natural gas generator.

Or no gas for that matterSome seem to forget that when the powers out, gas pumps are as well.
True also, I used to like the fact that I don't have to keep any gas in the garage during the summer, only during winter for the snowblower, however you have easily 60+ litre of gas available in the 997, although a hand pump will be required to easily siphon the gas out to gas cans.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Lot of the cars now days have a screen somewhere in the filler tube so pushing a hose down enough to pull gas out isn't gonna work. You would have to come up with another way to get the gas out.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:39 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
my friend said $250/day when the house was unliveable, no deductible and no receipts required if less than 5 days.
My sister is with TD Monnex Insurance, while they have been quite cooperative and not giving her any hard times so far, the living expense offered is only $50 per family per day, and $2K deductible applies.

Granted they will have quite a bit of other claimable expenses from the tree clearing and power/phone cable repairs along their long driveway into the property, as well as mileage everyday for traveling back and forth between my house and her house to run the generator and propane heater for a couple of hours to avoid any damage inside the house.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:45 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
Lot of the cars now days have a screen somewhere in the filler tube so pushing a hose down enough to pull gas out isn't gonna work. You would have to come up with another way to get the gas out.
I nominate Imo000 to find out if the 996 can be siphoned through the fueling neck.

How about the fuel pump/level sending unit plate? I had to remove the trunk cover in my Accord a few days ago, and can see the fuel pump/level sending unit plate plainly visible and accessible, removing that plate should allow me to gain access to the fuel in the tank. Just a thought.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 PM
aviography
Drifting

Are you f'ing kidding me?!?! My power just went out again! It was off for 1/2 hour yesterday.

But at least I got my Honda generator now if it becomes necessary to power up the furnace and water heater tonight.

(currently powering the cable modem and wireless router via UPS power packs.)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

best of luck! (phone tether next).

trees shouldn't be falling for the majority anymore since they should have all thawed out a few days ago... with that said these frost quakes are insane and i have ice on the inside of the windows.

Originally Posted by aviography
Are you f'ing kidding me?!?! My power just went out again! It was off for 1/2 hour yesterday.

But at least I got my Honda generator now if it becomes necessary to power up the furnace and water heater tonight.

(currently powering the cable modem and wireless router via UPS power packs.)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
best of luck! (phone tether next).

trees shouldn't be falling for the majority anymore since they should have all thawed out a few days ago... with that said these frost quakes are insane and i have ice on the inside of the windows.
You need new windows....
Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by TurboS
You need new windows....
Or stop breathing as heavily.

(Power came back in 30 minutes)
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Originally Posted by aviography
Or stop breathing as heavily.

(Power came back in 30 minutes)
Very observant, Frosty.....
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

i immediately did some reading since my house is new... figured out the problems(s), but for the most part its not the windows.

Originally Posted by TurboS
You need new windows....
Old 01-03-2014, 09:47 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Originally Posted by myw
i immediately did some reading since my house is new... figured out the problems(s), but for the most part its not the windows.
Builder buys windows from the cheapest/****iest manufacturer he can find, since you only have a one year warranty. So if you are having issues as you mentioned on a new house, I'd complain asap.

Popular excuse in this scenario, your humidifier is too high, maybe, but that should only lead to some condensation, NOT ICE. Clearly there is far too much cold transfer taking place.....IMHO

Good Luck
Old 01-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

The only way to get ice in a couble pane window is to have a gap where cold air comes into contact with the inside glass. Make sure the windows are properly osed and locked and you don't have some ice build up from heving them open earlier. As for warranty, I thought it was 2 years for a new house and not one. Did this change?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 401 Posts

Avio: which honda did you pick up? definitely shouldn't have ice on the windows.

Quick Reply: ICE STORM